SASS Wire Forum

Mossberg 7.62 nato rifle

Trigger Mike

I saw a mossberg 7.62 nato marked bolt action.  It has iron sights and can hold a scope.  It is shorter than many 308 rifles and might make a good truck gun .  

I’m wondering if since it is modern made that it could handle 308 rounds even though the length is different and the 308 round is more likely to expand in a loose chamber for its size?  

does anyone have any experience with this rifle?

@Trigger Mike are you sure it isn’t 7.62x39? Mossberg makes one of those in a bolt gun. Their .308 Win. / 7.62 NATO would have .308 listed first. SCRATCH THAT!

Check this out…
In the specs it says 7.62 NATO then .308 in parentheses. 

https://mossbergfirearms.org/product/mossberg-mvp-lr-308-winchester-7-62-nato-bolt-action-rifle/

And by the way, I was at the range a few weeks ago and a guy was shooting this model of rifle and he was shooting clover leafs at 100 yards. He said his whole family had Mossberg bolt guns and they are truly accurate rifles. He was shooting factory ammo the day I talked to him. He said his hand loads are even better. I think he was shooting Federal 168 grain hunting ammo, but I can’t remember for sure. 

I may be partial, but there is no sweeter sound in the woods than that little girls rifle going off over in the next stand. It makes me giggle.

Buy the gun. It's affordable quality.

20 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Try to take away her Patriot -I dare ya! 

I saw a Walnut stocked Patriot .308 last week at my LGS. Darn good looking rifle. I believe the price was $550. 
It’s funny, years ago walnut stocked rifles were everywhere. Now it’s a rarity at many gun stores. 

https://www.mossberg.com/mossberg-patriot-walnut-27861.html

So far I have met a few people that have and really like their Mossberg bolt action rifles. 
A friend of mine that’s a die hard AR-15 guy bought a Mossberg in .223/5.56. It took the same mags as his ARs. I am not sure if he has done it but the last time I talked to him, many months ago, he was thinking about selling 2 of his ARs to fund a nice scope for his Mossberg. 
That pretty much told me that he likes his Mossberg. He’s not one to sing the praises of much of anything. 

Pat (what’s talking himself into a Mossberg) Riot ;)

Nah…I gotta get my SFAR dialed in first. 

This one I saw locally was marked “7.62 NATO” and no mention of 308 before or after, which surprised me.  I liked it because it has visible sights and a rail for a scope if you wanted and it is shorter than most bolt action rifles.  

I have to be more careful about what I buy as there are boys coming up behind me that likely will shoot them and I may not be around to remind them or they may just forget like one did the other day when he shot my metal dueling tree pistol grade target with an AR rifle.  He was out looking for coyotes and thought he’d make sure his rifle was right.

6 hours ago, Trigger Mike said:

This one I saw locally was marked “7.62 NATO” and no mention of 308 before or after, which surprised me.  I liked it because it has visible sights and a rail for a scope if you wanted and it is shorter than most bolt action rifles.  

I have to be more careful about what I buy as there are boys coming up behind me that likely will shoot them and I may not be around to remind them or they may just forget like one did the other day when he shot my metal dueling tree pistol grade target with an AR rifle.  He was out looking for coyotes and thought he’d make sure his rifle was right.

Ouch! On the dueling tree. 

I see your concern. For kicks I went to Mossberg’s sight and did a search / filter on “7.62 NATO”. Three rifles came up. The designation is “7.62 NATO” with .308 in parentheses. 

https://www.mossberg.com/firearms/action/centerfire.html?mb_caliber=7.62mm+NATO+(308+WIN)

Maybe they’re steering these towards the “tactical” crowd? But I would be contacting Mossberg if you want to be sure. 

Now I really want one… They have iron sights for backup…;)

38 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

Ouch! On the dueling tree. 

I see your concern. For kicks I went to Mossberg’s sight and did a search / filter on “7.62 NATO”. Three rifles came up. The designation is “7.62 NATO” with .308 in parentheses. 

https://www.mossberg.com/firearms/action/centerfire.html?mb_caliber=7.62mm+NATO+(308+WIN)

Maybe they’re steering these towards the “tactical” crowd? But I would be contacting Mossberg if you want to be sure. 

Now I really want one… They have iron sights for backup…;)

I searched all of Mossbergs website including their manuals and could find no reference if their rifles marked 7.62 were actually safe for .308 ammo.

I would do as Pat Riot suggested and contact them.

The shooting 308 Winchester in a 7.62 NATO chamber isn't as serious thing as shooting a 5.56 NATO in a 223 Remington chamber.  When you look at SAAMI chamber pressures you'll find that when there is a large difference between max pressures many times the units will be different, CUP vs. PSI.  The SAAMI chamber dimensions are the same for 308 & 7.62 NATO and not so for 223 & 5.56NATO.

I have a Mossberg Patriot in .308. It shoots lights (holes touching) out at 100 yards using factory ammo. They use a laminate stock vs a walnut stock because it is more stable with varying weather conditions. They come with a plastic cradle and epoxy bedding that acts very much like full bedding. I have been eyeing their 7 PRC version.

My biggest ding on the Patriot (and many other rifles) is the bolts don't have a safety, like a three position Winchester, that locks the bolt closed. This is a problem for me, particularly walking through brush. Though fine for stand hunting, Ruger Americans are the absolute worst for bolt coming open unknowingly, but my Savage has done it too. Not yet with our lone Patriot, but it's a youth model, and kids aren't tromping around with it . 

Never an issue with a model 70 action. 

8 hours ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

My biggest ding on the Patriot (and many other rifles) is the bolts don't have a safety, like a three position Winchester, that locks the bolt closed. This is a problem for me, particularly walking through brush. Though fine for stand hunting, Ruger Americans are the absolute worst for bolt coming open unknowingly, but my Savage has done it too. Not yet with our lone Patriot, but it's a youth model, and kids aren't tromping around with it . 

Never an issue with a model 70 action. 

I bought my M77 mkII for two reasons:

First, the price was the same for a left hand model, unlike all the other manufacturers. and second was the three position safety.

On 12/8/2023 at 8:30 AM, Michigan Slim said:

I bought my M77 mkII for two reasons:

First, the price was the same for a left hand model, unlike all the other manufacturers. and second was the three position safety.

I lost two 270 Winchester rounds due to brush snagging the bolt , plus trash in the action, out in Colorado in October.

Ill probably get a Kimber hunter or Ruger M77 for future elk hunts, in 30-06. For stand hunting around here I generally grab the 30-30, 375 or one of the multiple 270’s. My 30-06 is a 670A which is a push feed model 70 action with three position safety. It’s as good a shooter as anything we have , aside from my wife’s savage.

id be more concerned in a vintage or milsurp than in a new model , but ...the differences in the ammo noted above would give me pause if it didnt have 308 noted in its ammunition notations , if it says 762 NATO only id only use 762 Nato in it , 

18 minutes ago, watab kid said:

id be more concerned in a vintage or milsurp than in a new model , but ...the differences in the ammo noted above would give me pause if it didnt have 308 noted in its ammunition notations , if it says 762 NATO only id only use 762 Nato in it , 

You could use hand loaded .308 Winchester loaded to Service Rifle specs. with no problem. 

1 hour ago, Pat Riot said:

You could use hand loaded .308 Winchester loaded to Service Rifle specs. with no problem. 

i agree - you can use hand loads designed for the purpose in most any firearm , i do , but im very careful of what i load in what i shoot , not sure every TDH on the internet understands that 

Archived