SASS Wire Forum

Single Shots Side Match

H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619

Shame on you!   You’re an enabler and about to get me in trouble. 

And I get into enough trouble now!

Ha!

Sam Sackett 

Unless you specify the first two must be centerfires, the .22 rimfire is both a rifle and pistol caliber, so one rifle would suffice for the six rifle shots. :ph34r: Assuming things like the Remington XP100 or Contender pistols are out, I've got a couple Savage 101's that would work just dandy for the single shot pistol part. Anybody have a Ruger Hawkeye .256 Winmag?

SavageM101.jpg

I think once you lay it out at your local club, then let us know how it turns out, I might be more interested.

I like to shoot just about anything, but I am reluctant to gear up for a one time thing.

Regards

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

15 hours ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

Unless you specify the first two must be centerfires,

Okay, let's clarify.

2 shots from a single shot rifle in a rifle caliber.  This would be a caliber that can not fit in a standard main match revolver.
2 shots from a single shot rifle in a pistol caliber.  This would be a typical cartridge that can fit in a main match rifle or revolver.
2 shots from a single shot .22 rifle.  .22 Short, Long or Long Rifle.
2 shots from a single shot pistol. To be as flexible as possible, any caliber from .22 Short to .50-70.  (Yes, I have seen 1 pistol in that caliber.)But not .22 Magnum for safety reasons.

Questions:  1.  Should you get a bonus if all 4 guns are a Rolling Block?  
2.  Would it be wise to add 1 shot from any SASS legal shotgun at a non falling target just to make sure the timer can hear something to record a score?

Howdy H.K.

Shooting your course of fire in the reverse order would solve the potential timer problem. I'm with you on everything except the single shot pistol as I think that is unlikely in most of our safes. I do have a single shot 22, rifle but it is a bolt action. Maybe for the pistol a revolver with a single load that will come in to place once the revolver is cocked. 

Also, you don't mention a distance for the target{s). Maybe 100 yds. for the two higher caliber rifles and 50 yds for the 22 and pistol. In addition, some accommodation must be made to allow staging all the firearms and ammo safely - a table would probably be needed. All that being said, it sounds like fun, especially watching how the gamers work the transitions.

Rev. Chase

1 hour ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Howdy H.K.

Shooting your course of fire in the reverse order would solve the potential timer problem. I'm with you on everything except the single shot pistol as I think that is unlikely in most of our safes. I do have a single shot 22, rifle but it is a bolt action. Maybe for the pistol a revolver with a single load that will come in to place once the revolver is cocked. 

Also, you don't mention a distance for the target{s). Maybe 100 yds. for the two higher caliber rifles and 50 yds for the 22 and pistol. In addition, some accommodation must be made to allow staging all the firearms and ammo safely - a table would probably be needed. All that being said, it sounds like fun, especially watching how the gamers work the transitions.

Rev. Chase

Howdy, Rev.  :)

I honestly had not considered what the best gun sequence would be.   I suppose saving the big rifle for last would do away with any timer concerns.  It would make sense if all the guns and ammo were staged on a table of some sort.  You'd need 4 targets, one for each firearm.  The pistol target would be at typical main match pistol distance, the .22 rifle and pistol caliber rifle at typical rifle distances, and the big rifle would be farther out.  100 yards?  Well, maybe.  Certainly that'd be the max.  I'd say 100 to 150 feet would work just as well.  Don't wanna scare off potential shooters by making it too hard.  This isn't a long range event, per se.  And the targets should stay the same size, not getting smaller as they get farther away.  Typical normal size for an ordinary SASS stage would work.  I also think it might be a good idea if the guns were staged far enough away from each other to require some movement.

I had wondered about the pistol.  I figured that would probably be the one gun that was the least likely to be widely owned.  That being said, I have seen a lot of pistols that could work.  Single shot versions of a couple different revolvers, the Rolling Block, pistol versions of the Webley and Martini Henry rifle, heck, single barrel derringers, and the list goes on.   Any and all would be okay in my mind.  Your idea of a regular revolver with just one round does bring up the question of when is it loaded.  I had figured all loading would be on the clock.  Perhaps a solution is to divide the shoot into 2 "categories."  With a pistol, and without a pistol.

Anyway, I think it could be fun.

And I have no idea when this post started underlining everything, nor could I figure out how to turn it off.

Take a look at the side event for EOT 2024, Take No Prisoners:

https://endoftrail.org/wp-content/uploads/2021/06/LongRangeTakeNoPrisoners.pdf

TB

12 minutes ago, Dakota Rambler said:

Throw in some knockdowns with single shot shotgun, or a shot and a follow up shot with a muzzle loader. Maybe a blunderbus grand finale!:D

I'm in... :lol:

PirateGunLogan2008.jpg

On 11/14/2023 at 5:34 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

What do people think of this idea?

2 shots from a single shot rifle in a rifle caliber.

2 shots from a single shot rifle in a pistol caliber.

2 shots from a single shot rifle in .22.

2 shots from a single shot pistol.

Any takers?

would have to bust out front stuffer percussion pistols for single shot.

10 hours ago, Cpt Dan Blodgett, SASS #75655 said:

would have to bust out front stuffer percussion pistols for single shot.

Might make for a loading challenge.

Hmmm...  Given the rarity, you can use 2 front stuffers that are already loaded, but you have to prime them on the clock.  :)

On 11/14/2023 at 5:34 PM, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

What do people think of this idea?

2 shots from a single shot rifle in a rifle caliber.

2 shots from a single shot rifle in a pistol caliber.

2 shots from a single shot rifle in .22.

2 shots from a single shot pistol.

Any takers?

Yo-Ho-De-O H.K. Uriah how about two shots from the old 1938 Daisy Red Ryder  BB rifle? or two shots from the Colt 45 BB pistol ?

Waaa, Haw!

Archived