SASS Wire Forum

The Vermont Pie Statute

While many folks enjoy their apple pie à la mode with whipped cream or ice cream, in Vermont, the law requires a good faith effort to serve the state pie with a glass of milk, a scoop of ice cream, or a slice of cheddar weighing at least 1/2 oz.

Yea

Canada has rules on what you can call maple syrup and France requires a certain amount of the wine to be French, some percentage is allowed to be foreign (read Spain Rioja Valley).

Seems like it should be a violation of the 'Interstate Commerce Clause' which is way misused.

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Subsidizing the dairy industry.

the dairy industry needs all the help it can get !!

q. how do you make a small fortune in dairy farming?

a. start with a large one  ^_^

I love apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. 

I have never considered having cheddar or any other cheese with my apple pie. That just sounds weird. 

14 minutes ago, Pat Riot said:

I love apple pie with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. 

I have never considered having cheddar or any other cheese with my apple pie. That just sounds weird. 

You really SHOULD try it!

It’s a great way to enjoy both good pie and good cheeses!

I like extra sharp white cheddar, sliced very thin or shredded.

I also like fresh shredded Romano!

I also like a great big scoop, or two, of good vanilla ice cream or frozen custard!!

I have never understood why folks put cheese on apple pie. I like cheese, except cheddar, and I like apple pie, but definitely not at the same time. What other folks like is none of my business. 

PF

Had apple pie once with a slice of american (nasty process) cheese melted on top. Waste of good apple pie.

The wedge of cheddar thing? Not sure, but maybe if it is a good cheese.

Good vanilla ice cream is a solid yes.

Speaking as a person from VT who grew up in a family where my grandmother baked apple pies for the grange bake bean suppers her entire life. Hard sharp cheese was always served in a slice beside the pie. The reason for serving a good sharp cheese was to cleanse the pallet between bites of pie so you got the real taste of the apple ( same reason they often serve cheese with wine ) many people put waayyyy to much sugar and spices in apple pies and you never really get to taste the apple. I certainly miss those apple pies, they were made with lard pie crust, fresh picked apples, and maple sugar instead of brown sugar. I also miss the suet pudding on brown raisin cake cooked in a coffee can. Now I’m hungry !

2 hours ago, Oak Ridge Regulator said:

Speaking as a person from VT who grew up in a family where my grandmother baked apple pies for the grange bake bean suppers her entire life. Hard sharp cheese was always served in a slice beside the pie. The reason for serving a good sharp cheese was to cleanse the pallet between bites of pie so you got the real taste of the apple ( same reason they often serve cheese with wine ) many people put waayyyy to much sugar and spices in apple pies and you never really get to taste the apple. I certainly miss those apple pies, they were made with lard pie crust, fresh picked apples, and maple sugar instead of brown sugar. I also miss the suet pudding on brown raisin cake cooked in a coffee can. Now I’m hungry !

I grew up with sharp cheddar and apple pie.  I don't order it in restaurants anymore because they want too much money for a small slice of mediocre sort of cheddar cheese or they melt it on top.

One of the few things I have found fault with since moving to Arizona.

Archived