SASS Wire Forum

Beauty In The Ears Of The Beholder - Add Your Own

Calamity Kris

From other worlds 

6 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Here’s another one that Stevie Ray borrowed from Jimi!

Ironically, Jimi Hendrix passed away 53 years ago today. Stevie Ray passed away 33 years ago on the 27th.

Both passed with the boundless talents still in their infancy. The world was robbed of what might have been.

• Thanks 1

This’n orta’ get the juices flowing!

And some big band!!

• Like 4

I really enjoyed listening to all of the downloads.  Better than any of the hip-hop crap nowadays.  But, when listening to the Ventures, well I just want to jump into a "4-speed, dual quad, positraction 409"  Chevy and go drag racing! 

2 minutes ago, Lone Spur Jake SASS #7728 said:

I really enjoyed listening to all of the downloads.  Better than any of the hip-hop crap nowadays.  But, when listening to the Ventures, well I just want to jump into a "4-speed, dual quad, positraction 409"  Chevy and go drag racing! 

Beach Boys song! I owned a ‘64 Impala SS with that very same setup!

I’ve described the car and the experience elsewhere in this forum.  It was a BEAST!

Here’s a Beach Boys number for ya’s!

Like the song "Those Were The Days My Friends, I Thought They'ed Never End".

Beach Boys, Jan & Dean, and all the rest of the great musicians, of when our country was the greatest place and time to ever have lived.  

• Like 2

Let’s get back on topic!

• Thanks 1

Hey, Chris!!  Here’s another one for ya!!

• Thanks 1

Try ya’s some of THIS!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

And some big band!!

Jimmy Stewart starred in the movie "The Glenn Miller Story", and actually learned to play the trombone for his part......

34 minutes ago, Gracos Kid said:

Jimmy Stewart starred in the movie "The Glenn Miller Story", and actually learned to play the trombone for his part......

The movie was good!  The actual story is remarkable!!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nOO42RbEvPw

Edited by Rye Miles #13621

7 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Nice cover of Dobie Gray’s first hit!  Lewis recorded it just a few months later! Great tune!

Here’s another great piece by Dobie Gray. I think it fits here just fine

• Like 2

I’m a huge Van Morrison fan and this is one of his best creations, but these guys have taken it to another level!

On 8/18/2023 at 10:46 AM, Blackwater 53393 said:

I was just going to post this. Glad I saw your post first. My father-in-law was a Brubeck fan and saw him on his Jazz Goes to College tour.

Oh, and The Allman Brothers do a good job, but I have to stick with Van Morrison. 

Edited by DocWard
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Woke up wid de blues dis morning!

• Like 2

22 hours ago, DocWard said:

I was just going to post this. Glad I saw your post first. My father-in-law was a Brubeck fan and saw him on his Jazz Goes to College tour.

Oh, and The Allman Brothers do a good job, but I have to stick with Van Morrison. 

He messed with time signatures, I loved his music. Take Five and Blue Ronda al la Turk were my favorites. Very challenging for a drummer especially. Joe Morello was his drummer.

Edited by Rye Miles #13621
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

22 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

He messed with time signatures, I loved his music. Take Five and Blue Ronda al la Turk were my favorites. Very challenging for a drummer especially. Joe Morello was his drummer.

We do/did a lot of numbers with odd time signatures and polytonic orchestrations.  

I remember reading Gregg Allman’s book where he said that when he wrote some of the more interesting pieces, he didn’t think about time signatures per se.  He thought about the beat in groups, like three threes and a two, ( 11/8) or a four and a three, (7/8) and just wove the lyrics and the melodies into a song. Syncopated rhythms and time signature changes just sorta’ fell into place.

As a band, we gravitated toward the more intricate rhythms and unique key combinations, (speaking of my own group) because they were more interesting than the 1,4,5s and such. They were usually more challenging and they’d leave an audience looking amongst themselves in surprise, thinking “did those guys really just pull that off?”  Got us a lot of choice gigs over the years!

My choral music teacher in high school explained that there were few, if any, real rules in music. He backed it up with an example of a composer who wrote music for piano that was played with the forearm! 

I guess some of that stuck with me! :blink:

• Like 3

This one was featured in a John Wayne movie!

I used to whistle the tune when a particularly annoying boss of mine poked his nose into the shop. He had absolutely no business in my area and he was morbidly obese and took pride in being so.

He never figured out what the tune was! Some others there did and got several years of amusement out of it! :lol:

I know!  I know! BAD ME!

Edited by Blackwater 53393
  • Haha 4

BUT SOMETIMES I JUST DON’T WANT TO BE  SO PEACEFUL !!

It’s easier to get forgiveness than permission…

• Thanks 1

Maybe this one will make up for the one above!

• Thanks 1