SASS Wire Forum

Somedays your the Windshield, somedays your the bug.

One Gun Jimmy

Went to my local monthly today...rough day.

Started out solid on stage 3 clean and rolling along.

Stage 4, FIRST ON THE CLOCK RELOAD EVER, went actually fantastic, but I could not stay clean.

stage 5 same story, decent run, no awards but okay for a newbie.

Stage 6 I run my fastest time to date but missed the very last pistol round after thinking " man I'm flying through!! :-(

Pop up to stage 1.....order is shooters choice, I decide to go with pistols last, rifle fine shotgun fine...then we'll, I'm an idiot...lose count on the first pistol, believe I had a light primer So I start to cycle the gun back around and the TO tells me no no, that's five your good....I immediately set it down and grab the other and finish....before I even get called for it I pick my gun up to show.....my EMPTY, but COCKED GUN that left my hand....STAGE DQ.

Finish up on stage two with a miss still in disbelieve of what I did on the previous stage.

rough day on the trail that's for sure.

What's important I guess is that I had a great time with some great pards...but boy we left a lot on the clock today.

There's nothing you can do about what happened, get over it and move on. It'll ruin your day if you let it. Plus, you're not shooting for a new truck, just a monthly match.

A common failing is mentally putting a gun away before firing the last shot.  We've all done it.  Two shooters did it today at a local WB match.  Long Hunter teaches when dry firing ensure you have a good sight picture on the first and last shot of a string.  That helps build good habits.

57 minutes ago, One Gun Jimmy said:

missed the very last pistol round after thinking " man I'm flying through!! :-(

That's been one my downfalls way more than I care for!:o

A couple of questions!

Dis you shoot anybody?

Did you shoot yourself?

I’m guessing that the answer to these questions is NO!

Another question:

Did you have fun?

I suspect that the answer is YES!!

If my surmise is correct, YOU WON!!!

:ph34r:  It took me 2 years to get confident in my equipment and ammunition.  Getting through a match without malfunction, disaster or self-induced train wreck was a 'sometimes' thing.  Then I could begin to concentrate on improving my technique.  Blazing along and thinking "Wow!  I've got it now!"  was a sure ticket to misses.

Then after getting things straight for equipment and reloads, my wife started shooting and the development curve began all over again.......

And I wouldn't trade a minute of it.

I had 4 misses and a P going into the last stage today and I was shooting gunfighter. I figured what the heck and told the TO that I was going to buy a P and then shot the last stage two handed and shot it clean and faster than any other stage today. I was the bug most of the day today….*hit happens. 

Kajun

Hey at least you finished.

My match today lasted two stages - and then the heat got me.

Sure it was hot but I have shot many matches in hotter - today, something was wrong; skin started burning before the match even started - drinking plenty of water and while everyone else was pouring sweat, I was dry as a bone.

First stage was pretty fast and clean - second stage shotgun, rifle and by the time I got to the pistols, couldn't even see the sights.  The world got real fuzzy and the decision was made that the rest of my day would be better served at home in the AC.

But theres always the next one.

16 minutes ago, Creeker, SASS #43022 said:

Hey at least you finished.

My match today lasted two stages - and then the heat got me.

Sure it was hot but I have shot many matches in hotter - today, something was wrong; skin started burning before the match even started - drinking plenty of water and while everyone else was pouring sweat, I was dry as a bone.

First stage was pretty fast and clean - second stage shotgun, rifle and by the time I got to the pistols, couldn't even see the sights.  The world got real fuzzy and the decision was made that the rest of my day would be better served at home in the AC.

But theres always the next one.

Let's see Creeker, you are near Vegas....that make sense.  The reason you didn't sweat was because it was "dry" heat :D  Seriously though, heat stroke is something to really watch out for, you did the right thing to call it a day.

Kajun

Archived