SASS Wire Forum

Question on shooter's "gun bearer" getting a SDQ

Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L

background:  elderly shooter is unsteady carrying long guns to firing line shooting positions.  We have "gun bearers" (fellow posse member helpers) that carry his rifle and shotgun to and from loading/unloading tables to staging areas on the firing line.  He can shoot just fine, but can't safely carry and walk at the same time.

The gun bearer carries this shooter's rifle to the shooting position and sets it down, lets go of it, is not touching it and the rifle is cocked.  He did not notice it--RO was one who saw it and verbally announced the fact to everyone on the stage.

RO Pocket Card says under SDQ section:   Staging a long gun with the hammer cocked, action closed (once it leaves the shooter’s hands)

Discussion ensues (of course it did): boiled down to two opinions:

1. because the gun bearer was not the shooter, just was bringing it to the line =NC . . . or

2. Others say whether the shooter or gun bearer, he still had to follow the safety rules on the Pocket Card = gun bearer gets SDQ

I was in the Choice #2 camp but wanted to get input from the wire and PWB

cr

I am an old guy.  No running, just strolling and shooting.  I still shoot pretty well, on my feet for a whole match, doing some work as well, prolly not.  "Did ya ever have to go when you wanted to stay...".  Choices.

Gun bearer is not the shooter, he is just helping out. I am assuming the shooter loaded the rifle and did not lower the hammer, thus his fault. So if a penalty was to be administered it would be on the shooter. 

Sr

I’d say shooter gets the SDQ (for the silliest rule in sass) 

THIS RULE SHOULD BE CHANGED. ITS RIDICULOUS TO ALLOW A SHOOTER (or gun bearer!) TO ALLOWED TO WALK WITH A COCKED GUN BUT WHEN ITS SET DOWN IT SUDDENLY BECOMES DANGEROUS. 

I frequently require assistance if a stage has steps. I don’t trust my old knees on steps! If I left a hammer back (or any other penalty) I would insist that I get the penalty, not an expeditor. 

You start penalizing helpers due to a loading table error by the shooter, and any gun-bearing helpers will quietly disappear from the posse.   Best to just penalize the shooter and make sure he knows and does safe loading table actions.

(By allowing a helper to move guns to the line, the shooter gives up any possibility of correcting a cocked gun error as the guns are carried to the line.)

good luck, GJ

"RO Pocket Card says under SDQ section:   Staging a long gun with the hammer cocked, action closed (once it leaves the shooter’s hands)"

Just to add to the confusion, the shooter didn't stage the gun and it was not in his hands when it was staged.  We don't access SASS penalties on people who are not loading, shooting or unloading.   The person carrying the guns to the line may or may not even be a shooter in the match.  

This situation comes as part of the "we do whatever we can to accommodate the disabled shooter".    The rule book does not cover the adjustments the match director makes to accommodate these shooters. (carrying guns to the line).    If I was in charge, which I'm not, I would caution the shooter and the gun carrier about the violation and to be more attentive.  If it happened again, I would appoint a better gun stager.  Depending on the situation, I might appoint someone to specifically supervise the future loading of this disabled shooters firearms. 

1 hour ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

This was asked and answered yesterday.  Perhaps you missed it?

When I went to it yesterday it was not coming up at all for me

sorry for doing this again but thanks to Abilene and PWB I now have enough info to go to our board/Range Master with data

cr

1 hour ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

You start penalizing helpers due to a loading table error by the shooter, and any gun-bearing helpers will quietly disappear from the posse.   Best to just penalize the shooter and make sure he knows and does safe loading table actions.

(By allowing a helper to move guns to the line, the shooter gives up any possibility of correcting a cocked gun error as the guns are carried to the line.)

good luck, GJ

THIS X 20!!!

PLEASE GO TO THE ORIGINAL "WtC?" THREAD and READ the reponses.
I'm expecting feedback from the entire ROC very shortly.

This doesn't need to will NOT be turned into a debate regarding the rule change that was approved by the Territorial Governors.

Archived