SASS Wire Forum

Women’s College World Series

Softball launched at 74mph from just 43 feet away.  How can anyone hit that?  Well, no one from Oklahoma did in the first at bats.

While I’m an Okie, and rooting for OU, I’m getting kind of tired of the announcers talking about “Who can beat them”. They are very probably the best softball team in the history of the game, but they can still be beat.  

0-0 in the 4th! Didn’t know this was going on, thanks! I’m watching now!B)

Funny how the pitchers wear face masks also. I wonder if that’s a rule or they choose to?

I remember that from watching last year. 
Batters too.

22 minutes ago, Rye Miles #13621 said:

Funny how the pitchers wear face masks also. I wonder if that’s a rule or they choose to?

I remember that from watching last year. 
Batters too.

Optional

I played mens fastpitch softball in Flint Michigan in my younger days. Hard to hit a ball coming at your head just before it cut down into the strike zone. The night games at Whaley park were packed with spectators. No pressure.

2 hours ago, watab kid said:

go OU , 

im hoping there wont be some trans guy messin in the ladies honors - i hope they win , 

I was thinking the same thing! :o

College Womens Softball is highly entertaining to watch.  Lots going on all the time.  Have also watched several exhibitions by the top Womens Pitchers against College and Pro Fast Ball folks.  The girls seldom if ever gave up a hit.  Awesome. 

We spent around 8 years with our daughter playing softball. The ball being bigger gets some huge movement out of it. The catcher has a job.

Whats fun is have some male stand there and brag about how anyone can hit a softball. Have them bat and then laugh at them when they can't even get close.

74 mph is equivalent to 90+mph at hardball  distances. Reaction time is nill. 

Face masks because aluminum bats and 43 feet has had a number of pitchers hit in the face. 

Of course a baseball player will have a difficult time stepping in trying to hit a softball from a good fastpitch pitcher. But I never see it turned around and have the softball players step up against a 95mph baseball pitcher for comparison. As far as reaction time against the fastest pitchers taking in ball speed and distance, the least amount of time is still from baseball, then mens fastpitch softball followed by womens fastpitch softball. They aren't  far off from each other and all extremely difficult.

19 hours ago, Mister Badly said:

I played mens fastpitch softball in Flint Michigan in my younger days. Hard to hit a ball coming at your head just before it cut down into the strike zone. The night games at Whaley park were packed with spectators. No pressure.

Fascinating!!  When they show the Pitch in slow motion and you can see the the different "Spins" they put on the ball.  Currently, Oklahoma vs Tennessee is on.  Last night Stanford hammered Bamma.  Fun Games. 

I played regular baseball and fast pitch softball when I was young. I was a catcher in both types. I really believe todays fast pitch softball is harder to hit than regular baseball. The softball moves more in the curve, drop and riser than regular baseball. It has more surface area for the spin to effect the ball. It is a lot closer to the batter too. Even tho it is slower speedwise, the ball is more reactive to the pitcher's ability to put spins on the ball.

They are playing at the Softball field in Oklahoma City.  That has to be the nicest Softball Field I have ever seen.  At it's FULL!!  Elimination game Oklahoma State vs Tennessee.

Hey Widder!!  Lady Vols got it done.  They go to the Semi-Finals tomorrow!!

I guess I have to root for Stanford.  Their third baseman graduated high school with my daughter. They were friends in elementary school and but she ended up going into sports in high school and my daughter was in the band,

Steele (the Stanford 3B) did do the job for them against Bama. RBI double and solo HR!    Now for the rematch with Oklahoma.

Not to take away anything from the women’s fast pitch which has got to be a real bi$&; to hit but  I don’t think anything can compare to a 100 mph fast ball with some movement on it or a  90 mph slider or curve. The movement on these pitches are outrageous ! Then just to throw you off a 82 mph change up that’s falls away!

Archived