SASS Wire Forum

Possum Trot

Red Cent

On 7/14/2023 at 5:58 PM, Widder, SASS #59054 said:

Ifn ye ever called yeowndangself a Cowboy shooter and lived east of the Mississippi, you really ain't

shot real 'Cowboy' till you went to Possum Trot.   Indeed, it was a hoot of a place.

The last time I shot there, somebody shooting BP set the woods on fire with their rifle loads.

It wasn't a big fire, but it took 3-4 folks to stomp it out before it could flame up big.

Once you walked thru the barn, its like you entered a time era from long ago.

And it just wasn't the venue, it was also great matches and competition.   Cabins to stay the night or

weekend,  porches to sit on and jaw with friends......... tell lies, whittle, etc.....

And ifn you're lucky, you just might see ole Blackwater hisowndangself.

..........Widder

Back in my dusty pass I had the privilege of shooting with Split Rail, Stone Creek Drifter, Griff, Red River Ray, Widder, Blackwater, Ringer & other legendary smoke makers. And got to shoot Possum Trot twice. Memories written in indelible ink.

• 4 weeks later...

Lord have mercy. Comments and pictures tugs at my heart and some dust just got into my eyes. Been so long. What memories.

Harold, I keep telling you - you can have more of that at Black Gold.  Not exactly the same - nothing ever will be.  But still my happy place.

Since Red was kind enough to bring this one back, I’ll take a moment to tell you all what progress has been made on a reunion of that last POSSE TEN!

I have managed to contact all but two of the members of that esteemed group and, to a man, they have said that if it is humanly possible to organize a reunion and include all of them on a posse at some event, they will all make their best effort to attend!

FIRST! I have been unable, to this point, to reach RJ Law and I still have been unable to identify the cowboy wearing the red shirt that’s kneeling in the middle of the front row and so have been unable to locate or contact him.

SECOND!!  As of yet, we are undecided as to when and where to do the deed!!

As of now, we’re offered the Crap Shoot at Ponderosa Pines, the home of the Black Gold Shootout. This match is held in March, there is lodging available nearby, including a bunk hose and camping with electricity available on the range.

It has also been suggested that we try to work out something at the WSC in Sparta, Illinois in conjunction with a cowboy shooting event held there!

Another possibility would be at one or another large match like Kentucky State that is held in the spring, before the weather gets too hot!

Please take a look at the picture of Posse Ten on the previous page of this thread and help me identify the cowboy in the red shirt!

I’m still open to workable suggestions for a venue and an event to work with to make this happen!

STAY TUNED!!

10 hours ago, Stump Water said:

Seems like it's settled.

Hey, Stump!

We’re working on trying to find both time and place that’ll work for the biggest number of us!!  That means that it needs to be as centrally located as possible AND that it happens when as many of us and our “support group” can get together!

A lot of wishful thinking’s involved! :lol:

Long time! No shoot with!!  How’ve ya’ been??

22 minutes ago, Blackwater 53393 said:

Long time! No shoot with!!  How’ve ya’ been??

Busy as all get-out.  I didn't know getting ready to retire would be so much work.  

8 minutes ago, Stump Water said:

Busy as all get-out.  I didn't know getting ready to retire would be so much work.  

Wait ‘til you’re completely retired! You’ll wonder how the hell you ever found time to hold down a job!!

Tell everybody over that way that I said howdy!!

• 3 months later...

IT IS ON!!!!

Posse Ten will ride again!!

Copperhead has graciously agreed to host Posse Ten from the last Smokeout at Possum Trot at the Kentucky State Match in Manchester, Kentucky at Ponderosa Pines!

April 25th thru 27th, we will reconvene to smoke up the place and bring the bad guys to justice!!

We’ll once again be Posse 10, an all black powder posse composed of the original members and a few more of the folks who shot that last big match at the legendary Possum!

I have already begun to contact those in the picture and I still haven’t identified the cowboy in the red shirt in the middle of the bottom row!

LAISSEZ LES BONS TEMPS ROULER!!

On 6/7/2023 at 9:37 AM, Lucky R. K. said:

Hey Blackwater, do you know anybody in this picture?

image.jpeg

Me.  Far left. Killem all Kate, Prairie Dawg, Crazy Mingo

54 minutes ago, Tn Tombstone said:

I am thinking the original was in Black and White, you all look so young.

No, it was in color.

Lucky :D

1 hour ago, Tn Tombstone said:

I am thinking the original was in Black and White, you all look so young.

KEEP IT UP, WISEGUY!!

We’ll have you running the timer for us the whole weekend!! :ph34r: :lol:

20 hours ago, Cheyenne Culpepper 32827 said:

Me.  Far left. Killem all Kate, Prairie Dawg, Crazy Mingo

Ain't that Baby Bull on the back row?

In the pic, Cree Vicar Dave in front, in the middle, in black.

Schoolmarn is left of Luck LeRoy, ( his right).

Little Wing is in front of Baby Bull, fourth from the right in the front row.

That’s me on the extreme end on the right.

I’ve slept a couple of times since then so I’m less than sure of most of the rest.  A bigger copy and some serious thinkin’/‘memory stimulation and I might could remember a few more!!

I shot JW with BP this past weekend just to see if I still remember how. First round-monster grin, oh, yeah I remember. Makin plans as we speak.

Imis

36 minutes ago, Imis Twohofon,SASS # 46646 said:

I shot JW with BP this past weekend just to see if I still remember how. First round-monster grin, oh, yeah I remember. Makin plans as we speak.

Imis

Hmmm. Outlaw style BP Outlaw Josey Wales. I've got the pistols. 

I’m starting to get replies from many of the cowboys that are pictured in the original posse photo!!

Most all of them who have responded so far are planning on being there!!

LUCKY RK!!  PM me! I know you’ve said that you’re in, but I need your contact info!!!

I’ve mentioned this cowboy several times here, trying to identify him.  Anybody know who he is and where we might contact him.

IMG_0115.jpeg

I forgot to mention that I have heard from, talked to, and had a great lunch with RJ Law and The Lady since I mentioned them last.  They’re both IN for the reunion!

They came to Nashville for a long weekend getaway with Korupt Karl and Killer Bea!

It’s great to get together with my cowboy friends whenever I can!!

Had supper with Fire ‘N’ Fallback this evening! He’d done a little freshening up on my ‘60 match guns and I had some ammo boxes and a pound of FFFg for him!

He’s looking forward to the reunion!!  He’s now the Match Director for the Boaz, Kentucky club and I want to get back up there to shoot again soon!

Archived