SASS Wire Forum

State Matches/Regionals/EOT

Jimmy6

Can you just show up to any of these events or do you have to qualify your way up the ladder. Been trying to read up on how all this works. Is it like a tournament where you have to win locals to go to regionals and win that to participate in state? Do you have to win state to go to E.O.T?  Thanks

NOPE!!  Fill out the entry form and send your money and so long as the event hasn’t sold out, you’re in!!

No qualifying necessary. 
Stage’s might be different, more complicated or just a trifle more challenging than a monthly but a bigger match is supposed to raise the bar just a little. See where you stack up if that is your thing, meet the current champions, see the up and comers. 

Go, meet and make new friends and have a good time. Bigger matches will often have vendors selling products that are a complete necessity for this game that you didn’t even know existed. Okay maybe not a necessity but cool. Sometimes swap meets where you can browse, try out different stuff, (guns!), new clothes, leather, etc. 

Best part of a big match is catching up with the people you met at the last big match and continuing conversations from a year ago. 
One of many reasons to stay in this game!!!

Regards (and Welcome!!!)

:FlagAm:  :FlagAm:  :FlagAm:

Gateway Kid

I think you have to be a SASS member to enter state, regional and above but other than that just send your application and money and your in.

While being a current SASS member lets you enter, you should shoot several local matches before entering.  These matches are not where a new shooter learns the sport.  There are many shooters and the match must proceed quickly.  There is no forgiveness for errors or violations that a new shooter might be given at a local match.  These matches are fun events with side matches, vendors and sometimes evening entertainment.  Attend when you are ready.  BTW, one must register in advance.

I’ve seen a couple of shooters show up at a large annual or state match for their first match. Not a good idea!  Get a few monthly matches under your belt first. If larger match is close, go peruse the vendors and watch & learn. 
once you have the loading/shooting/ unloading process down, and have kind of figured out the different shooting scenarios then go to an annual. They are fun!  But just not the place for your first match or 2. 

A new-ish shooter asked:  “So the state match is coming up.  What must I do to qualify to shoot?”

”Fill out an application and pay an entry fee.”

“What about the Regional Championship?”

”That’s really rigorous.  You have to pay an entry fee AND fill out an application.!”

I have attended EOT once.  I met a fellow who had shot two monthly matches.  He was safe and seemed to be having a good time.

You are WELCOME at E.O.T. If you have any concerns about your lack of experience, let your Posse Marshal know at the beginning. At E.O.T. we take special pride in finding the best 36 Posse Marshals IN THE WORLD, and they are expected to make sure every member of their posse feels comfortable and safe.

Additionally, let any Match Official know if you have any issues and we'll make every effort to make it the best match of your life.

Hope to see you in 2024 Jimmy 6.

Don't wait until you've been shooting longer for the big matches, go and shoot in them.  When I started out, I shot 3 monthly matches, then a state match followed by a regional.  In my first 5 matches I shot 2 big ones.  You don't need to qualify for them, just submit an application, pay, and go have fun.  I wasn't going to shoot the state or regional matches when I started, but a Branchwater Jack was shooting with me at a monthly and told me I should do it.  He said it's just more people and more fun.  So I signed up for both and didn't regret it for a second.

This July is my 3rd year anniversary shooting cowboy action shooting and I've shot in the Alabama and Tenn state matches as well as the SE Regional every year.  This year I have added EOT, GA State, and Land Run.  The big matches are a lot of fun, just do it!

I took my wife to Guns of August for Shamrock Sadie's Doily Gang clinic years ago. She had only shot 2 local matches prior to this. My RO instructor said she should shoot the match. I already had her guns and ammo for the clinic so we paid the fee and she shot the match. She finished 174th out of 175. She beat a DNF. Bottom line, she had fun, learned a lot and she now has more buckles and bigger trophies than I do. Go to the big match if you can and have fun and meet a whole lot more people. 

@Jimmy6 you don’t say where you’re from, some regions have smaller state matches and some don’t, so it would be helpful to know from where you hail.  And if you can, when you go to your first big match try to think of it as a couple of local matches back to back, don’t physc yourself out like I did at my first big one. 

Archived