SASS Wire Forum

Mojave Train Derailment

Subdeacon Joe

https://www.sbsun.com/2023/03/27/55-car-freight-train-carrying-iron-ore-derails-in-mojave-desert

BAKER — A long freight train carrying iron ore derailed in a remote area of the Mojave Desert on Monday but there were no injuries, authorities said.

Fifty-five rail cars loaded with iron ore and two locomotives derailed around 8:30 a.m. in the Mojave National Preserve, Union Pacific spokesperson Daryl Bjoraas said in emails to The Associated Press.

“I can confirm that the crew was not hurt,” Bjoraas wrote. ”We are still investigating what led up to the incident.”

Seems like trains forgot how to train lately.

I guess its time to check the gyros in all of em. They must expire after 150 years.  That's why so many are falling over all of a sudden

Anyone else have “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” pop into their head?

Somebody’s in a heap of trouble. If no one was in the cab and the train was rolling the safety interlocks were either bypassed or inoperable. 

Had one in North Dakota yesterday also , Now here lies the question ,Since we deal with railroads at work Last week we were told about a derailment in South Dakota last Monday however , riddle me this there was zero news on this and well no service disruption  
https://www.valleynewslive.com/2023/03/27/reported-incident-involving-train-richland-county/

I don't know about anyone else, but it seems as though we've had a LOT of trains falling over in some form or fashion lately, or is it just more visible now....................???

4 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Anyone else have “The Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald” pop into their head?

Somebody’s in a heap of trouble. If no one was in the cab and the train was rolling the safety interlocks were either bypassed or inoperable. 

Thanks.  I was hoping you would chime in.

2 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I know the area well. Lots of great Jeep'n there.

Beautiful area with lots of history.

Ah, maybe the train went off-roading! :lol:

Since the 1990's railroads have been downsizing their maintenance personnel in the 90's every crew change point had people that inspected the brakes, axles, wheels and the cargo to insure everything was working.  The same with the track every section of track was inspected daily now it's more by the calendar.  Most derailments are caused by track issues or wheels cracking then breaking do to overheating either from stuck brakes or axle bearings.  Normally and by Federal and California state law cabs of though freight trains that pass over public crossings at grade must be occupied.  Engines within yard limits or engaged in switching operations may be remotely controlled.  

That was one serious run away train. An ordinary derailment doesn't gouge out a hole big enough to hid a couple if hopper cars.

Here is another article with drone video of the site. Notice how far the wreckage is from the tracks.

https://www.news9.com/story/6422d7e2e7547c072e75acfc/freight-train-carrying-iron-ore-derails-in-mojave-desert?force_isolation=true

Picture showing how far the the train traveled AFTER it left the tracks. 

resources.jpg.797052623797944f0f6818b17261480a.jpg

21 hours ago, Calamity Kris said:

I don't know about anyone else, but it seems as though we've had a LOT of trains falling over in some form or fashion lately, or is it just more visible now....................???

Just a lot more visible.

There are about 3 U.S. train derailments per day. They aren't usually major disasters

All I can think is Thank God it was an ore train and not another caustic loaded one.

Archived