SASS Wire Forum

Gunfighter Kirinite Grips

Lucky Lead Pepper

I'm looking at getting a set of the Eagle Grips Gunfighter Kirinite grips for my Ruger Bisleys.  I'd prefer to get the smooth grips for the sake of appearance, but I'm not sure how well they will handle compared to the checkered grip.  For those of you that use the smooth Kirinite grips, what do you think, do you love them?  I know antique pearl will look much better if it's smooth, but I don't want to sacrifice performance for aesthetics.

2 hours ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

I'm looking at getting a set of the Eagle Grips Gunfighter Kirinite grips for my Ruger Bisleys.  I'd prefer to get the smooth grips for the sake of appearance, but I'm not sure how well they will handle compared to the checkered grip.  For those of you that use the smooth Kirinite grips, what do you think, do you love them?  I know antique pearl will look much better if it's smooth, but I don't want to sacrifice performance for aesthetics.

Iron Cowboy has Kirinite grips on his Rugers.  Far as I can tell they don't slow him down, though sometimes I wish they would.  I beat him by 4/100ths Saturday, but he had 15 seconds of penalties and I only had 5.

I have used both styles smooth and checkered.  I much prefer the newer checkered grips they provide an excellent grip.  They have improved the checkering pattern on the newer style grips.  Your hands do not slip.  

2 hours ago, John Barleycorn, SASS #76982 said:

Anvil Adam is making some really nice thin gunfighter style grips from Micarta

I think I found these, Archon MFG, but they do not have Bisley grips.

9 hours ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

Not what you’re asking but remind me to show you and let you try out my grips next match. 

Randy

11 hours ago, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

For what it’s worth, in my opinion performance beats out aesthetics hands down, at least gun-wise. I had a set of the checkered rosewood (or whatever wood they were) Gunfighter grips on my bisleys and loved them. At EOT last spring I got a set of the checkered Kirinite grips from Rajh and love them even more! Plus I think that the color (mine are a swirly purple) is outstanding!

As with all opinions, you get what you pay for  with this one but I personally would forget about the slick grips and go checkered...

16 hours ago, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Not what you’re asking but remind me to show you and let you try out my grips next match. 

Randy

Sounds good.  Next thing you know I'll want that short stroke you have on those pistols too! :D

14 hours ago, Charlie MacNeil, SASS #48580 said:

For what it’s worth, in my opinion performance beats out aesthetics hands down, at least gun-wise. I had a set of the checkered rosewood (or whatever wood they were) Gunfighter grips on my bisleys and loved them. At EOT last spring I got a set of the checkered Kirinite grips from Rajh and love them even more! Plus I think that the color (mine are a swirly purple) is outstanding!

As with all opinions, you get what you pay for  with this one but I personally would forget about the slick grips and go checkered...

Thanks for the information, I will probably end up with checkered grips.  I shoot duelist so it's a wiser choice to go for the most grip I can get.

I do not have Kirinite grips but on guns with smooth surface , I rub Carnuba wax on the surface.  Great even if caught in rain.   JMHO      GW

On 1/11/2023 at 5:06 PM, Lucky Lead Pepper said:

I think I found these, Archon MFG, but they do not have Bisley grips.

They will have Bisley grips soon, (and NMVs and Birdsheads), but Bisleys were the next ones in line last I talked to him. 

Arizona custom grips has some really nice grips for Rugers, I have 4 pairs of their grips and have shot them for 4 years now, they actually have begun to age and take on a really great old patina look and yet their checkering still has a nice firm hold even when sweat soaked

Archived