SASS Wire Forum

I did not know you could do this

Alpo

If this link works, it will go to a 20 odd minute press conference with the Polk county Florida sheriff.

https://m.facebook.com/thescoop.us/videos/florida-sheriff-details-undercover-operation-on-disney-employees/3323004751311002/

This press conference he's talking about all the people they have arrested this week. And he shows their pictures, and he gives their name, and he says where they live and where they work. And at no time in this press conference is he use the magic word alleged or allegedly.

And it just seems to me that if the sheriff gets up there and shows a picture of a guy and says, "Frank Jones here came here to have sex with a 12-year-old child, and brought with him dirty pictures and methamphetamine", it should make it real damn hard to find any impartial jury members when they take Frank to trial.

Also seems like he's holding the sheriff's department open for lawsuits. "This woman manages Kentucky fried Chicken", "this man manages cracker barrel", "these 7 individual people work for Disney". Seems like Kentucky fried, or cracker barrel, and certainly the house of mouse would sue the hell out of the sheriff's department.

As I really don't see what their place of employment has to do with their crimes.

I don’t know. If he is saying “they have been arrested for (insert crime)” he really shouldn’t have to say “allegedly”. He is speaking the truth. They were arrested. At least that’s my take. Now, spewing their personal info? I would say that’s stupid. 

I recall my old man and some of his antics when I was a kid. It really warmed my 6 year old heart to see my Dad’s name in the newspaper police blotter with a description of why he was arrested and on what street he lived on in my hometown. There was no “alleged”. But he dang sure did it. 

I don’t know if they still do it because I never get the paper anymore, but the small town news paper the family hunting property is near used to publish everything that was public knowledge right down to traffic tickets 

Statement of fact is irrefutable. Jury can be found with change of venue. Guilty until proven innocent is a requirement of the State to PROVE guilt not the indicted to prove innocence.  If I catch you with meth and a wad o cash I can PROVE possession but not intent to distribute. Maybe you just sold a car for cash...

This is a sheriff that is not pulling any punches I figure he can back up those statements in court.

Crime logs, arrest reports, jail mug shots and traffic crash reports are all public information.  Some states require redaction of key info, some don't.  

Not really any different than:

UPDATE: Rico Richard Leaton-Gomez Has Been Arrested in Carjacking & Assault from Sunday
On Tuesday, October 4, 2022, at 10:54 am, Rico Richard Leaton-Gomez was arrested when he attempted to turn himself into the Sonoma County Jail. SRPD officers contacted Leaton-Gomez and took him into custody without incident. Leaton-Gomez was later booked into the jail for the following charges:
245(a) PC – (Felony) Carjacking
243(d) PC – (Felony) Felony Battery
368(b)(1) PC – (Felony) Elder Abuse
3452 PC – (Felony) Violation of Post Release Community Supervision
Leaton-Gomez was not given bail based on the charges.
Original Media Release:
Man on Conditional Release from Prison for Carjacking, Assaults & Carjacks a 67-Year-Old Man on Sunday Morning – Need Help Locating
On Sunday, October 2, 2022, at 11:40 am, Santa Rosa Police Department officers were dispatched to the area of 1st Street and A Street regarding a carjacking that had just occurred. When officers arrived on the scene, they located an adult male (67 years old), lying in the roadway on the east side of the intersection. The male had blood coming from his face, and officers learned he was unconscious before they arrived.
Officers learned that an adult male approached the victim while he was sitting in his pickup truck. The male was later identified as Rico Richard Leaton-Gomez, a 28-year-old from Windsor. Leaton-Gomez offered to purchase the victim’s truck, but the victim declined the offer. The suspect then walked away. Moments later, Leaton-Gomez walked over to the driver’s side of the victim’s truck. Leaton-Gomez threw a bag of personal belongings into the back of the pickup truck and walked to the driver’s door. Leaton-Gomez then punched the victim once through the open window. Leaton-Gomez opened the door and punched the victim again. Leaton-Gomez then pulled him out of the vehicle and struck him several more times before the victim fell to the ground.
Leaton-Gomez then ran back to the victim’s pickup truck, got into the driver’s seat, and started to drive away. Leaton-Gomez ultimately backed up the pickup, got out of the truck, and ran westbound on 1st Street toward A Street. Officers conducted an area search but were unable to locate Leaton-Gomez.
The victim was transported to a local hospital for medical treatment. The victim suffered significant lacerations to his face, facial abrasions, and a broken nose. No additional information will be disclosed about the victim.
Based on a thorough investigation, officers identified Leaton-Gomez as the suspect in the carjacking and assault. Officers believe Leaton-Gomez has recently become homeless and has ties to Windsor. Leaton-Gomez is currently on Post Release Community Supervision for a prior assault with a deadly weapon related to a previous carjacking. Leaton-Gomez was released from prison in June 2022. PRCS is a conditional release from the California Department of Corrections where the individual is placed under supervision to the jurisdiction of a county agency.
The SRPD Violent Crime Team has taken over the investigation and actively looking for Leaton-Gomez. A reward of up to $2,500 is being offered by the Sonoma County Alliance Community Engagement and Safety Rewards Fund. The reward is for information leading to the arrest of the suspect responsible for this carjacking. Anyone with information is requested to contact SRPD immediately. Based on Leaton-Gomez’ violent behavior, do NOT contact Leaton-Gomez call SRPD if he is located.
SRPD case #22-11562

Which was taken from the SRPD Facebook page.  They, and the Sonoma County Sheriff, send out emails to a NIXLE (sp?) alerts about the arrests.

Announcing charges is fine. Saying that this man is charged with prostitution and possession of methamphetamine and extortion by threat of violence - that's fine, that's great.

Saying that the man told the undercover officers that they would have to pay him $100 for the ball of meth and pay him another $500 for the time he's wasted and if they do not pay him that $600 he will come to where they're at and kill them - that's what you say on the witness stand to the jury. That's not what you say to the television reporters.

The Polk County Sheriff, Grady Judd, has many controversial and semi-controversial statements and interviews over the years. If you look him up on the internet, there are 100's of interviews with him. While I like him and his no nonsense approach, his officers and the officers of the surrounding counties like him for his dedication to his staff but dislike him for his "showboating".

IMO, what Judd does in interviews, and such, is no different than the "unbiased" news reporter stories. Legal or not, he's been doing it for many years now.

Archived