SASS Wire Forum

It's Almost Friday Humor Thread

Subdeacon Joe

Once a young Navy officer asked Admiral Hyman Rickover, the father of the Nuclear Navy, why they stopped naming submarines after fish. The officer reminded Rickover the naming went back many years, and it just made sense.

Rickover looked at the young officer and replied-

main-qimg-2a4a440db5b759be1e84a59c707e7962

Fish Don’t vote!

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

BronxCheerwet.gif.ee20f2d1f8c9fbca80a1bc84148df121.gif

Number seven though - that would be third row the one on the left. Written in Greek.

I assume it has something to do with somebody and flowers. The best I can translate the Greek letters into English letters, it says

Dhmdkpitos

Edit: No, I believe that P is an R, so it would say

Dhmdkritos

Still don't have a clue

I don't have a clue.

Edited by Alpo

6 minutes ago, Alpo said:

BronxCheerwet.gif.ee20f2d1f8c9fbca80a1bc84148df121.gif

Number seven though - that would be third row the one on the left. Written in Greek.

I assume it has something to do with somebody and flowers. The best I can translate the Greek letters into English letters, it says

Dhmdkpitos

Edit: No, I believe that P is an R, so it would say

Dhmdkritos

Still don't have a clue

I don't have a clue.

It is Democritus. Start with the Delta Character, Mu character is an m. And it says Democritus at the bottom of the rectangle.

1 minute ago, John Kloehr said:

It is Democritus. Start with the Delta Character, Mu character is an m. And it says Democritus at the bottom of the rectangle.

Thank you. That now makes sense. And what I thought were supposed to be flowers apparently are supposed to be atoms.

But still, the second letter is not an E. It's an H. The fourth letter has a tail coming out of the top. A small o looks like a small o. The only thing I can find that's got a little tail coming out of the top is a small Delta or a small Sigma.

Α α, Β β, Γ γ, Δ δ, Ε ε, Ζ ζ, Η η, Θ θ, Ι ι, Κ κ, Λ λ, Μ μ, Ν ν, Ξ ξ, Ο ο, Π π, Ρ ρ, Σ σ/ς, Τ τ, Υ υ, Φ φ, Χ χ, Ψ ψ, Ω ω.

1 hour ago, Alpo said:

... what I thought were supposed to be flowers apparently are supposed to be atoms.

I thought so too for a moment, as Democritus wrote: "Strength and beauty are the virtues of youth, but moderation is the flower of old age."

But that reference is a bit obscure to most people. Democritus (along with Leucippus) were early proponents of an atomic concept of the universe. And those are lousy looking atoms. They reminded me of Daisies.

• Like 1

Also, I was just kidding about your ability to accurately count to 4. I know you can remember a line and count to 10 twice, and 4+ shotgun.

Edited by John Kloehr
Replaced two words with "and"
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

A nun walks into the Mother Superior’s office and plunks down into a chair. She lets out a sigh, heavy with frustration.

“What troubles you, Sister?” asked the Mother Superior. “I thought this was the day you spent with your family.”

“It was,” sighed the Sister. “And I went to play golf with my brother. We try to play golf as often as we can. You know I was quite a talented golfer before I devoted my life to Christ.”

“I seem to recall that,” the Mother Superior agreed. “So I take it your day of recreation was not relaxing?”

“Far from it,” snorted the Sister. “In fact, I took the Lord’s name in vain today!”

“Goodness, Sister!” gasped the Mother Superior, astonished. “You must tell me all about it!”

“Well, we were on the fifth tee — and this hole is a monster, Mother — 540 yard par 5, with a nasty dogleg right and a hidden green … and I hit the drive of my life. The sweetest swing I’ve ever made. And it’s flying straight and true, right along the line I wanted … and it hits a bird in mid-flight!”

“Oh my!” commiserated the Mother Superior. “How unfortunate! But surely that didn’t make you blaspheme, Sister!”

“No, that wasn’t it,” admitted the Sister. “While I was still trying to fathom what had happened, this squirrel runs out of the woods, grabs my ball and runs off down the fairway!”

“Oh, that would have made me blaspheme!” sympathized the Mother Superior.

“But I didn’t, Mother!” sobbed the Sister. “And I was so proud of myself! And while I was pondering whether this was a sign from God, this hawk swoops out of the sky and grabs the squirrel and flies off, with my ball still clutched in his paws!”

“So that’s when you cursed,” said the Mother Superior with a knowing smile.

“Nope, that wasn’t it either,” cried the Sister, anguished, “because as the hawk started to fly out of sight, the squirrel started struggling, and the hawk dropped him right there on the green, and the ball popped out of his paws and rolled to about 18 inches from the cup!”

The Mother Superior sat back in her chair, folded her arms across her chest, fixed the Sister with a baleful stare and said …

“You missed the putt, didn’t you?"

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 5

https://youtube.com/shorts/GWChygIEQik?feature=share

Unfortunately they'reTHERE, YOU FLIPPING IDIOT apparently is an emoji in the title so it won't embed. Follow the link.

And her comment about "you're not human if you don't do that" - I agree 100%.

Edited by Alpo
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

1998: "As we head into summer we can expect higher temperatures." And colors are normal.

2023: "Due to Climate Change!!! we are experiencing extreme heat!" And colors are warning yellow and red.

May be an image of map and text

Really can't form an opinion without knowing where this is, and the month for each picture.

• Like 1