SASS Wire Forum

Of Viands and Victuals

Subdeacon Joe

SPEAKING OF DEAD CHICKEN

Without going into particulars, I've been obliged to do a significant percentage of our meal prep.

I'm far from the best there is, but I'm not bad, and I'm trying to get better.

I also confess to a broad lazy streak, consequently the following relies heavily on canned or packaged goods.

Alter, substitute or season to your own taste: this is not hard-and-fast, it's what I came up with that didn't turn out bad a'tall.

Sam's Club has canned chicken and canned beef, both are pretty good.

Sam's also has rice-and-quinoa in aluminized envelopes, add a volume of water to a saucepan, the contents of the envelope, boil until tender: I drained a tin of the canned chicken and used that sharp edged potato masher or dough murderer, whatever it's properly called, that thing that looks like it would make a nasty set of knuckles in a barfight. I use it to cut the canned chicken up really fine, almost shredded consistency. 

As I am naturally lazy, I added canned chicken to the saucepan first, cut it up fine, added water, brought to a simmer: add a cube of butter, dump in olive oil instead if you like.

Add a can of cream of chicken soup.

Add the envelope of rice.

I use a square ended lifter to stir with.

Normally they're used for frying eggs or other skillet goods.

I use it to stir contents of the saucepan, as I can set its bit edge flat on the bottom of the saucepan and scrape it carefully and keep things from sticking (yes, I know, don't have the heat too high. Separate story about high heat omitted as I think I told it already)

(it's the one that involves frying bacon while wearing a grinding hood, a rubber gunsmith's apron and welding gloves)

(my wife said all I had to do was turn down the heat)

(oh look, a squirrel)

Meanwhile, back at the stove --

Once it just starts to boil, turn the heat down to a simmer, cover, let it repent of its sins for about twelve minutes. The envelope of rice-and-quinoa was already flavored with garlic and various herbs, if it's not, my wife has a shaker of Rosemary Garlic seasoning in the cupboard.

It wasn't necessary for this batch.

• Like 2

"Cheater's grilled cheese sandwiches"

Great for kids to make themselves.

Put two pieces of bread in the toaster.

When they're done, butter one side of the toast and put 2 slices of American Cheese between the buttered sides.

Microwave for 30 seconds.

A safe way for kids to get a sandwich after school.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

SPEAKING OF DEAD CHICKEN

Without going into particulars, I've been obliged to do a significant percentage of our meal prep.

I'm far from the best there is, but I'm not bad, and I'm trying to get better.

I also confess to a broad lazy streak, consequently the following relies heavily on canned or packaged goods.

Alter, substitute or season to your own taste: this is not hard-and-fast, it's what I came up with that didn't turn out bad a'tall.

Sam's Club has canned chicken and canned beef, both are pretty good.

Sam's also has rice-and-quinoa in aluminized envelopes, add a volume of water to a saucepan, the contents of the envelope, boil until tender: I drained a tin of the canned chicken and used that sharp edged potato masher or dough murderer, whatever it's properly called, that thing that looks like it would make a nasty set of knuckles in a barfight. I use it to cut the canned chicken up really fine, almost shredded consistency. 

As I am naturally lazy, I added canned chicken to the saucepan first, cut it up fine, added water, brought to a simmer: add a cube of butter, dump in olive oil instead if you like.

Add a can of cream of chicken soup.

Add the envelope of rice.

I use a square ended lifter to stir with.

Normally they're used for frying eggs or other skillet goods.

I use it to stir contents of the saucepan, as I can set its bit edge flat on the bottom of the saucepan and scrape it carefully and keep things from sticking (yes, I know, don't have the heat too high. Separate story about high heat omitted as I think I told it already)

(it's the one that involves frying bacon while wearing a grinding hood, a rubber gunsmith's apron and welding gloves)

(my wife said all I had to do was turn down the heat)

(oh look, a squirrel)

Meanwhile, back at the stove --

Once it just starts to boil, turn the heat down to a simmer, cover, let it repent of its sins for about twelve minutes. The envelope of rice-and-quinoa was already flavored with garlic and various herbs, if it's not, my wife has a shaker of Rosemary Garlic seasoning in the cupboard.

It wasn't necessary for this batch.

Sounds pretty good.  Helpful hint: Frozen Chopped Onions, and Frozen Peas & Carrots are your friends.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/11/2024 at 7:14 AM, Subdeacon Joe said:

Now THAT was entertainin'!

Many thanks!

EDIT TO ADD --

Thank you again for the recommend on frozen onions &c, you are right and they were a definite improvement to my next effort!

Edited by Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Linn Keller, SASS 27332, BOLD 103 said:

Now THAT was entertainin'!

Many thanks!

I'm usually in the position of the grandmother,  "We, you take some flour, add a little salt,  some baking powder and baking soda and mix them up, then cut in butter or lard until it looks like gravel,  then stir in enough buttermilk- or Greek yogurt and milk to make a dough. 

How much?  Enough. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Grumpy Old Man said:

My sister told me that my Grandma always left out one key ingredient, if she passed on a recipe.

I don't play that stupid game.   If I don't want to share all of a receipt I don't share it.  Otherwise I'm lying to the person. 

That's not the same as,  when trying to write it down hours, or days, after I made something forgetting something I added in to adjust the flavor.  Heck,  I do that to myself...."Why isn't this as good as when i made it last week?"  Then realize that I had used regular Paprika rather than Smoked Paprika,  or had used the  juice and zest of a couple of limes along with the lemon.