SASS Wire Forum

Garbage piling up! Grrrr!

Trailrider #896

Wednesday evening I rolled my two 96 gal. trash containers out to the curb for Thursday pickup, as usual. Thursday came and went...and no pickup!  Friday morning...no pickup. Called the trash hauler, which is a nation-wide outfit, only to be told that they "are short-staffed", and there won't be any pickup until the following week!  Called a competitive outfit, but they can't start until next Thursday either.  We do bag our garbage, but I guess I'll just have to let it pile up in the garage!  My wife has a cleaning lady come in once a week to help her out, usually on Monday, and if not, then on Friday.  On Monday, the guy that runs the maid service called up and said the lady that was supposed to come in can't make it, and he doesn't have any backup.  He's short-staffed!  

Does anybody want to work anymore? Or can they just stay home and collect unemployment insurance? :angry::angry::angry:

I don't understand it either. Every business is short handed and many have closed around these parts. The obituary page was normal volume throughout the pandemic. So where did all the workers go?

I think there might be a song in there.;)

Garbage man must have a class B CDL. Non combination vehicle greater than 26000 pounds and air brakes. 

Your trash man has a professional license and professional drivers are getting premium salaries right now.

I know class A company drivers right now making 6 figure W2's

51 minutes ago, Texas Joker said:

Garbage man must have a class B CDL. Non combination vehicle greater than 26000 pounds and air brakes. 

Your trash man has a professional license and professional drivers are getting premium salaries right now.

I know class A company drivers right now making 6 figure W2's

Oddly enough, you don't need a CDL to operate a vehicle with air brakes, as long as it's 26,000 pounds or less. I retired about five years back as the CDL auditor/examiner here, and only saw two, I think. Both times, the applicant showed up with a small dump truck w/air brakes, but a GVWR of something like 25,995 on the tag, specifically so the driver wouldn't need a CDL. They thought air brakes made it a commercial vehicle and were not very pleased to find out they couldn't test in them.

When there are 6-8-10 people living in a house or apartment and all drawing $600.00 per week or so from state and federal funds they don’t have to work. Until those types of handouts are ended the labor pool will suffer. 

Probably 1/3 of the fast food restaurants around here are operating with only the drive-thru.  The inside is closed due staff shortages.  I don't know how long they can keep it up.  I don't find sitting in my truck eating a Capt. D's fish dinner very appealing.

We had a garbage service that started getting unreliable. We get service twice a week and there is at least 6 independent (non-city/county) garbage companies that service the neighborhood also.

Our garbage company (now ex-garbage company), Waste Pro, started out good but then started missing 2 pickups a month, then 3, then 4. I called to complain and have the missed pickups taken off the bill, the so-called customer service rep said they would not prorate the service and would not take the missed pickups off the bill. Three days later, they missed pickup again. The next day, I just happened to be looking at a job for a work estimate near their business address, so I stopped by to talk to them in person.

The front door was locked, so I walked in through the garage door to the office location. When I opened the door to the office, I immediately noticed that the place looked like the inside of an old dumpster with 3 ratty desks with 2 female "customer service" reps that were busy gabbing while the phones were ringing off the hook.

I gave them my address, told them why I was there and asked if the company was going to pick up as they had missed the last two pickups. I was cordial about it, no rough tone or anything like that. The woman I was talking to started off nasty and got worse within a few seconds. I simply told them that if the garbage was still at the end of my driveway when I got home from work...they didn't have to worry about picking it up as I would bring it to them first thing in the morning and dump it in their office. I then walked out, got in the truck and left.

When I got home that afternoon, my cans was empty and placed up in front of the garage door with a note of apology taped to one of the cans.

I changed companies shortly after that. The new company has better rates and service...they've never missed a pickup.

Edit - This all occurred before the plague happened.

Archived