SASS Wire Forum

Trapdoor .410ga help

Komodoj1

Ok. I have called everyone and everywhere about reboring my 45/70 trapdoor barrel to either 28ga or 20ga. The gun was acquired already sporterized so keeping it original I don’t care about. Know one seems to have the tooling. I know on a whim you can shoot 410 in a 45/70 but they say the brass expands badly. So here’s my theory, can I put a thin piece of brass tube around the 410 base to take up some circumference so that it fits the chamber better? Will it be safe if I load 1/3” less 410 spec loads? Yes I want to make it some kind of shotgun. I want to use what I have. I know all about the poor patterning. Any ideas? I contacted jes reboring. They can bore to about whatever but the have no means to Shotgun chamber reamers. What says the hive. Thank you all?

Hey KomodoJ1,

Your project sounds like an expensive boondoggle to me. Rather than tearing up an already messed Trapdoor, why not sell it to someone who wants one to shoot as is and buy yourself an nice single shot shotgun; which, by the way, will be a lot handier. 

That's my advise and it's worth every penny you spent on it.

Rev. Chase

5 minutes ago, Reverend P. Babcock Chase said:

Hey KomodoJ1,

Your project sounds like an expensive boondoggle to me. Rather than tearing up an already messed Trapdoor, why not sell it to someone who wants one to shoot as is and buy yourself an nice single shot shotgun; which, by the way, will be a lot handier. 

That's my advise and it's worth every penny you spent on it.

Rev. Chase

Nah, I just love the trapdoor aesthetics! If I can get this done for $300 it would be worth it to me. Imho. 

Rather than boring the rifling out to be a smooth bore, why not get the barrel relined? Then you could have both a smooth bore and a chamber that was 410 - not oversized which would damage your hulls.

If I recall correctly, there may have been a recipe for shot in the Wolfe book about Trapdoors.  Been a while since I pulled that one off the shelf to read.  I know there was a multiple ball load but I really thought there was a shot recipe as well.

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Why not load 45-70 brass with shot?  No law against that. 

Because Large rifle primers right now and have been like unicorns. The prices are 5x the price of 209’s

1 hour ago, Warden Callaway said:

Why not load 45-70 brass with shot?  No law against that. 

45-70 brass is about 0.460 ID. 410 shotshell is 0.410 ID. 0.050" larger than a 410, so 410 nitro cards and 410 cushion wads and 410 shot cups will all be undersize. This could allow the powder to move around. With a shot charge, you do not want any movement.

Track Of The Wolf sells .460 wads & cards.

42 minutes ago, Canton Chris said:

Track Of The Wolf sells .460 wads & cards.

I have all that. We are getting off track. Read above. Large rifle primers are like hens teeth. 

Getting off track is kind of what we do around here.  Besides, we are making suggestions that may work as well as or better.  But here are a few off the wall thoughts...

If money is no object, I wonder if it would be possible to machine an adapter cartridge that has the outside dimensions of a 45-70 cartridge but accepts a .410 cartridge in it.  Or, since we are talking about a "money is no object" solution, why not have one of the machined brass companies (like Roberson Cartridge Company) make you a set of 45-70 cartridges that use 209 primers, and have the internal dimensions of a 410 shell so you can use all the same components.  Expensive but probably possible.

3 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Getting off track is kind of what we do around here.  Besides, we are making suggestions that may work as well as or better.  But here are a few off the wall thoughts...

If money is no object, I wonder if it would be possible to machine an adapter cartridge that has the outside dimensions of a 45-70 cartridge but accepts a .410 cartridge in it.  Or, since we are talking about a "money is no object" solution, why not have one of the machined brass companies (like Roberson Cartridge Company) make you a set of 45-70 cartridges that use 209 primers, and have the internal dimensions of a 410 shell so you can use all the same components.  Expensive but probably possible.

Great ideas!!! I thought about the custom 45/70 shells that use 209 primers. There $90 for 10. Wow. Another idea, K&S sell brass tubes that a .410 shell fits into perfectly and the outside dismeter is .510. That will fit the 45/70 chamber perfectly. So a 12” section is like $5. So I can probably cut 20 pieces out of one tube just wide enough to cover the brass section on the 410 shell. This way it should in theory keep the 410 brass portion from being unreloadable? Thoughts and thank you 

9 minutes ago, Crazy Gun Barney, SASS #2428 said:

Good suggestion, I have a 577/450 Martini-Henry that has a machined sleeve in the chamber so I can now shoot 45-70

Just now, Jeb Stuart #65654 said:

Good suggestion, I have a 577/450 Martini-Henry that has a machined sleeve in the chamber so I can now shoot 45-70

Who sells the sleeves? Or can make one?

2 hours ago, Komodoj1 said:

cover the brass section on the 410 shell. This way it should in theory keep the 410 brass portion from being

Just thinking out loud sorta. If you sleeve the brass section only, won't the plastic expand enough that you couldn't recover your sleeve? Although for the cost they could be disposable after several reloads. 

40 minutes ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Just thinking out loud sorta. If you sleeve the brass section only, won't the plastic expand enough that you couldn't recover your sleeve? Although for the cost they could be disposable after several reloads. 

Gonna use reduced loads so hopefully it won’t be an issue. So what says the hive about the sleeves.  Think it’s safe? 

The problem with the sleeve is it is not going to fully encase a .410 shell. It is going to come up short as a 45-70 chamber is a hair longer than 2.105" while the shortest .410 shell is 2.75" long after firing. Most likely the unsupported plastic will swell making it difficult to extract the hull.

Another issue may be the extractor as the rim diameter of a .410 hull is .535 while the rim on a 45-70 is .605. You may get lucky in that the extractor may have enough reach but I kind doubt it. 

Did you contact JES and tell them they could rent a chamber reamer from 4D Reamer Rentals?

7 hours ago, Komodoj1 said:

Who sells the sleeves? Or can make one?

Guy I bought rifle from over 30 years ago was a Lt. Col. in the Air Force and had it made on base in the machine shop.

Archived