SASS Wire Forum

Well Researched

Subdeacon Joe

Found on Facebook:

"Read a book last night that's supposed to take place in a small southern town of 10,000, and the protagonist lives in an 11th story apartment and the town has one church, and I'm wondering if the author has ever actually been to a small southern town."

:lol:

FB_IMG_1658262762810.jpg

The tallest building in our small town of about 10,000 is five stories!! It’s the hospital.

The tallest building in our county, at the time. The Dixie Sherman Hotel.

dcc31286e29ae6e7b5a506a04e07a8fb--panama

They took it down in 1970. First building to be imploded andIN the state of Florida.

My memory says it's eight stories but the picture shows nine.

2 hours ago, Duffield, SASS #23454 said:

I don't believe the parts out only one Church.

Yeah.

There's gonna be- at least- a Baptist and a Methodist church in town.  Most likely, there will also be an AME or CME church (or both) nearby, too.

If there's 10K people in town, then  5 or 6 churches would sound more like real life.  That many Baptists are gonna have a doctrinal or procedural dispute eventually or some faction will not like a new preacher enough to split off and form another congregation, so 2 Baptist churches is more likely.  A Penecostal, Assembly of God, or similar congregation wouldn't be unheard of either.

I see this call the time on the news. I saw a story the other night where the reporter was interviewing some celebrity who grew up in a small town of 12,000. The reporter was shocked. Shocked I say! I don’t think he ever heard of a town that “small”.

our VFW post and the Courthouse are the tallest buildings in town at 2 stories…..well there is the grain elevator on the west end. :lol:

4 hours ago, Alpo said:

The tallest building in our county, at the time. The Dixie Sherman Hotel.

dcc31286e29ae6e7b5a506a04e07a8fb--panama

They took it down in 1970. First building to be imploded andIN the state of Florida.

My memory says it's eight stories but the picture shows nine.

What looks like a ninth floor may be the buildings mechanical floor and not counted back when you recollect it.  Better than blaming your memory. :D

Leaving out church steeples (the Methodist have the advantage of being on top of a hill), the tallest building in town- even today- is the high school gym.  A couple old houses (pre-AC houses in these parts had high- like 12 feet- ceilings and a couple 2 story Victorian houses are still standing) may be as tall but that's it.

I don't know of a 3 story building in town, much less 10.

My little hometown has a population of around 2000, and still has four churches in the city limits and two others in residential areas a few hundred yards farther out. Our first high school was built three years ago, and will have its first graduating class next year. Probably less than a hundred graduates, as all four grades combined total less than 300 students.

57 minutes ago, Three Foot Johnson said:

My little hometown has a population of around 2000, and still has four churches in the city limits and two others in residential areas a few hundred yards farther out. Our first high school was built three years ago, and will have its first graduating class next year. Probably less than a hundred graduates, as all four grades combined total less than 300 students.

The local school covers about a third of the county, so it's gotten BIG in the last 30-35 years.  My graduating class was the largest up to that time at 198 walking (206 at the beginning of the year) 35 years ago.  We were a big 5A school back then with just the minimum enrollment to go up a class but the average attendance was less than a dozen short of the requirements.

Today, it 7A (which didn't exist 35 years ago) and one of the biggest schools in the state.

2 hours ago, Eyesa Horg said:

Our town has a population of 678 :P 

About 50 more than mine. ;)

The town where I went to high school had a population of 92. Today the population is 183. The tallest buildings in town were 2 stories. The only church then and still today is a Baptist Church.

The town where I went to Grade school had a population of about 250. Today the population is 220. The tallest buildings in town were 2 stories. Although there might have been a home or two with a finished room in the attic that could make them 3 stories. It has been a long time since I was there so I'm not sure. Then as now there is a Baptist and a Methodist Church in town.

In the surrounding rural community, there are Baptist, Methodist, Presbyterian, Mennonite, and a few other denominations.

In all the surrounding communities the tallest structure was either the water tower or the grain elevator.

Archived