SASS Wire Forum

Preferred replacement cap n ball nipples?

Dantankerous

I have a couple Pietta 1860 Armies I'm going to "tune up" for competition.  I understand changing out the stock cap nipples is a high priority on these to assist with reliability.

Any aftermarket brands suggested/highly recommended for these?

Thanks!

30 minutes ago, Dantankerous said:

I have a couple Pietta 1860 Armies I'm going to "tune up" for competition.  I understand changing out the stock cap nipples is a high priority on these to assist with reliability.

Any aftermarket brands suggested/highly recommended for these?

Thanks!

SliXshot nipples are excellent.  Especially with Remington #10 caps.  I bought a case of the caps from Bass Pro Shops, but Cabelas gets them in also.

But the nipples also work with CCI #11, and RWS 1075

I have Track of the Wolf nipples on my 1860's. They say they are for CCI #11, but I have had 100% reliability with Rem. #11's. I did install cap rakes to keep them out of the hammer channel. Don't know if a different nipple would have worked instead of rakes.

Damn Otto keeps changing rakes to takes. :angry:

I've had great luck with Slix Shot nipples. As stated above they work with Remington #10's, CCI 11's and RWS 1075 plus caps. 

Tullly

I just shot a 10 stage match with .44 C&B Piettas with stock nipples and had zero misfires with the exception of one cap that stuck to the hammer. This was full 30g loads and may have contributed to the cap stuck on the hammer. I have been shooting these revolvers for a few years but this was the first Cowboy match I have used them for. They are usually relegated to Plainsman.

kR

Thanks, all! :D

14 hours ago, Major Art Tillery said:

I have comments... But we'll, I am going to leave them unsaid... :lol:

that’s probably best…send me a pm w/ any questions.  I’ll be glad to help covert you to the dark side.

Archived