SASS Wire Forum

time for this week weird military question

Alpo

We have Captain Jones. Date of rank, January 17th 2016. We have Captain Smith. Date of rank April 24th 2016.

Because Captain Jones was promoted to Captain three months earlier than Captain Smith was, Captain Jones outranks Captain Smith.

I would presume that as a general rule Captain Smith would not salute Captain Jones, since they are both Captains - same rank.

But if Captain Jones wanted to be pissy about it, could he require that Captain Smith salute him, because he outranks Captain Smith?

No. Jones is simply senior to Smith. He does not outrank him.

27 minutes ago, Rip Snorter said:

But who takes charge if it drops in the pot?  Like the Brits in Rorke's Drift?

Depends on the situation and mission. Two equal rank but different branch officers.

In our airborne ops pre mission briefings, it was specified that the aircraft commander was in charge while in flight. Should the aircraft be forced down, the SF officer would be in command regardless of rank.

With officers in a same branch equal rank situation, usually the officer with seniority would command. But maybe not. It might depend on their MOS and experience.

An Engineer or Artillery officer would most likely not command an infantry unit, regardless of seniority, if an infantry officer was present.

31 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

Depends on the situation and mission. Two equal rank but different branch officers.

In our airborne ops pre mission briefings, it was specified that the aircraft commander was in charge while in flight. Should the aircraft be forced down, the SF officer would be in command regardless of rank.

With officers in a same branch equal rank situation, usually the officer with seniority would command. But maybe not. It might depend on their MOS and experience.

An Engineer or Artillery officer would most likely not command an infantry unit, regardless of seniority, if an infantry officer was present.

Not necessarily true.  I can think of a pretty significant WWII battle with the Divarty commander taking command until the units were relieved.   Bastogne during the battle of the Buldge.

3 hours ago, Alpo said:

We have Captain Jones. Date of rank, January 17th 2016. We have Captain Smith. Date of rank April 24th 2016.

Because Captain Jones was promoted to Captain three months earlier than Captain Smith was, Captain Jones outranks Captain Smith.

I would presume that as a general rule Captain Smith would not salute Captain Jones, since they are both Captains - same rank.

But if Captain Jones wanted to be pissy about it, could he require that Captain Smith salute him, because he outranks Captain Smith?

No unless in a ceremony which requires it .  

same rank goes DOR (date of rank) then TIS (time in service) 

I went from E2 to E5 twice my TIS  being 12 years .

1 hour ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

There were seven new SGT E-5 on the promotion orders. Ristau and I were on top of the list with 169 points. I outranked him because of alphabetic order.

They should have went by TIS .  

4 hours ago, Sgt. C.J. Sabre, SASS #46770 said:

They are not the same time in Grade, but are the same rank. No salute.

I learned very early that rank among Second Lieutenants is like virtue among hookers.   Same all the way up the line.

3 hours ago, Redleg Reilly, SASS #46372 said:

Not necessarily true.  I can think of a pretty significant WWII battle with the Divarty commander taking command until the units were relieved.   Bastogne during the battle of the Buldge.

I was speaking of primarily small unit actions. By the time you are a Divarty commander you are assumed to have significant combat arms experience to handle a situation like that.  I worked for a Colonel once who was an Armor officer.

Of course there are exceptions to SOP. As they say, no combat plan survives the first shot intact.

Also Line Vs staff officer matters. A staff officer with a non combat arms affiliation should defer to an officer from ANY of the combat arms 

8 hours ago, Rip Snorter said:

But who takes charge if it drops in the pot?  Like the Brits in Rorke's Drift?

None of the other postings is correct. When things get serious the Gunny is ALWAYS in charge.

Archived