SASS Wire Forum

Artillery Shell Identification

Sedalia Dave

Yes, and I would NOT go drilling into them to see if there is any powder inside!  Several years ago, while visiting Charleston, SC, there was an explosion in Charleston harbor. No damage was done, but the explosion was somewhat in line between the shore and Ft. Sumpter.  I don't know if any determination was ever made, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was caused by a "short" round (either from the fort or from the shore) that fell into the water and lay there for a century until corrosion allowed a fuse to go off! :unsure::o

3.5” would be an 88mm. Rifling indicates it has been fired. Battlefield pick up. Could be a solid shot or it could be base fused. Some German 88s were base fused. Don’t fiddle with it.

4 hours ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

3.5” would be an 88mm. Rifling indicates it has been fired. Battlefield pick up. Could be a solid shot or it could be base fused. Some German 88s were base fused. Don’t fiddle with it.

Base has a hole in it. I figured they were potentially live and conveyed as much to the owner. He was unaware that they could be live and said he would contact someone to properly dispose of them. 

55 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Base has a hole in it. I figured they were potentially live and conveyed as much to the owner. He was unaware that they could be live and said he would contact someone to properly dispose of them. 

Better a hole than a fuse! 

15 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

How did the owner come by the rounds?

And please let us what happens after he contacts someone. I’m curious how the procedure works. I assume they’ll eventually be detonated?

Back 4-5 years ago my wife and I visited Savanah GA. There was road work in progress just Southeast of the Factors Walk tourist area. They discovered two or more unexplored (actually unknown nature) shells from the Civil War period buried in the ground without any container. They could have been fired and failed to detonate or they could have been dumped as no longer needed. I believe the US Corp of Engineers was called to blow them up in place. We heard the detonation of the destruction charges. They would not try to move them for fear of the old munitions being unstable and detonating. I would guess that is what would be done with the pieces pictured above.

CJ

If they detonate them in place, they'll blow up the guy's barn.  Unexploded ordnance being found in urban areas is not unusual in Europe or other places that saw heavy bombardment. They're often discovered when excavating for new construction. I don't recall them detonating them in place, but are defused. I've no idea how smaller munitions like these are handled.

Archived