SASS Wire Forum

Standard Manufacturing

I would not pay $2,000 for any revolver that was called a "Standard."  I would want something "deluxe" ;) or at least something will a more appealing name.  I would buy a Colt long before I would spend that kind of money on a Single Action Army copy.  At least with a Colt you will recover all, most or even more than you paid when you try to sell it.  When I think Standard these are the guns I think of.  Weird little guns very few people buy.  The single actions are nice guns.  As long as it gives you satisfaction then buy it.

3__01126.1647627581.thumb.jpg.b99b1a9c3310c339e7a5127f452879a9.jpgP1100792__82654.1646756823.thumb.jpg.2eb2d7679d7609d2b2bfd466abecafe0.jpg

I recommend reading the reviews and comments on the Colt forum. There are those that love them and those that don’t. I don’t see the quantity that USFA had and I agree that a Colt will hold its value better. But you can order a SAR today and have it quick. No such luck on a Colt. 

26 minutes ago, Cholla said:

I don’t see the quantity that USFA had

Quality?  Of course Standard has not made near the quantity of single actions as USFA either.

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Quality?  Of course Standard has not made near the quantity of single actions as USFA either.

Meant quality. Otto Correct got me again.

Like I said I don't NEED another Single Action.  I have two Gen 3 Colts, two USFA's, and several Uberti's and Pietta's.  But everything I have seen and read about the Standard points to a superbly manufactured item.  I need to sleep on it a bit more.  And, it is true you can get one quick!

9 hours ago, Cholla said:

Meant quality. Otto Correct got me again.

I’ve never seen one of their single actions . But I’ve seen some of their double guns and 1911’s and thought they were pretty nice , price vs quality . So this surprises me , I fully expected them to be right up there with a USFA gun or better .

8 minutes ago, Dawg Hair, SASS #29557 said:

Like I said I don't NEED another Single Action.  I have two Gen 3 Colts, two USFA's, and several Uberti's and Pietta's.  But everything I have seen and read about the Standard points to a superbly manufactured item.  I need to sleep on it a bit more.  And, it is true you can get one quick!

Need is not a issue , In todays market if you see it and want it you cant wait , Buy it . Picked up a 97 shotgun yesterday been wanting one but need nope . 

One NEVER needs a reason for another single action.....it is all about want not need!  I have just about rebuilt my gun fund, so it could happen to me at any time!  Buy what you like, I also sent a PM.

From what I’ve seen and read, I’d expect them to be at least as good as USFA was at their peak. I’d certainly like to have a pair of them. 

Here are some threads on the Standard SAR. Please note that while some of the guys in these threads are using an alias, they are experts in their fields and have valid points. One of the biggest points is the lack of attention to details such as checkering on the hammer, lettering, etc. Once I made it past the beautiful case coloring and clocked screws, the things they pointed out do give me pause. I used to lust for one. I even shot one for a few weeks. I now prefer a worn first-generation Colt if I am going to spend that much money. If I am going to be using it in SASS, I prefer a Vaquero.

There is a lot of information here.

https://www.coltforum.com/threads/standard-manufacturing-vs-current-production-colt.378708/#post-3201487

https://www.coltforum.com/threads/custom-shop-colt-or-standard-mfg-whos-the-master.362375/

https://www.coltforum.com/threads/standard-mfg-saa-issues.390640/

https://www.coltforum.com/threads/too-picky.363889/#post-3038577

Archived