SASS Wire Forum

Ever try stuff you've seen on TV?

Alpo

I was watching them disarm a bomb one time. They needed to cut three wires at the same time. And the only had two pair of dykes. Fortunately somebody had a fingernail clipper.

4891_1.jpg

And they were able to cut the third wire with those.

Just watching an NCIS, and to disarm the bomb they used the scissors from a Swiss Army knife to cut the wire.

Swiss-Army-Scissors.jpg?x76745

And I just wonder if either of those wonderful cutting implements would cut 24 gauge copper bell wire?

Is MythBusters still on the air? Maybe I could suggest that one for them. B)

24 gauge wire is pretty easy to cut, but I would bet the Swiss Army knife scissors would have no problem cutting the wire quick and clean. I wouldn’t bet on fingernail trimmers. 

30 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

24 gauge wire is pretty easy to cut, but I would bet the Swiss Army knife scissors would have no problem cutting the wire quick and clean. I wouldn’t bet on fingernail trimmers. 

If the cutting edgers are well aligned nail clippers will cut copper electrical wire. However most will quickly dull as the quality of the steel they are made varies a lot.

When terminating coax I like to use a good pair of nail clippers to trim the shield braid.

Last time I bought them I went through about 50 pairs in a bulk bin to get 5 with well mating cutting edges.

For improvised wire cutting and hole making without cutters or a drill I recommend these. 

5E140B4F-7801-4299-A934-B7404E96544D.jpeg

If you cut all 3 at once with 1 cutter they will short accross.

Largo

Howdy,

The small swiss army knife sure gives a lot of options

with very little weight.

Remember at the end of the hike each pound weighs ten.

Best

CR

1 hour ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

The small swiss army knife sure gives a lot of options

with very little weight.

Remember at the end of the hike each pound weighs ten.

Best

CR

I love my Swiss Army knives. By the way CR, that yellow one I got from you is now in the possession of my son-in-law. I gave it to him to use on a trip and haven’t seen it since. He really likes it. We have a new convert. ;)

Archived