SASS Wire Forum

Manufacturers of SAA hammers

El Chapo

I was discussing lower hammer spurs yesterday with a fellow at a match and he told me about a place selling them.  Of course my brain farted and I can't find the website for them.  Can anyone suggest a source for lower spur hammers for my Piettas?

Taylors also sells Running Iron hammers.   I changed them out on my Uberti’s.  It was pretty easy.  

3 minutes ago, Chacón said:

Care to expand on this?  How are they different?

Uberti clones are slightly larger in the frame and cylinder.  The hammers are not interchangeable between Pietta and Uberti.  VTI and EMF are two online sources I am aware of for lower hammers if they are in stock.

43 minutes ago, Tequila Shooter said:

^^^ THIS ^^^^

Knowing the Make and Model of the pistols is key to what fits.  Colt? Uberti? Pietta? Something else?

I was interested in reading about the parts whether they fit or not, just so I can learn.  The make of my revolvers is in the initial post though--they are Piettas.  Cimarron Frontiers to be exact.

2 hours ago, July Smith said:

... VTI and EMF are two online sources I am aware of for lower hammers if they are in stock.

For Pietta, those two plus Cimarron also has them in stock at times.  You would need to call them.

1 hour ago, Chacón said:

I was interested in reading about the parts whether they fit or not, just so I can learn.  The make of my revolvers is in the initial post though--they are Piettas.  Cimarron Frontiers to be exact.

The Pietta Frontier line are similar if not the same as Pietta’s Great Western line.  If you call Early Modern Firearms (EMF) talk to the technical department and tell them what you’re looking to do, they don’t list the Alchimista hammers in the parts section, but they do carry them.  The Great Western II "Alchimista“ hammers should work.  I have a pair of Pietta’s El Malo that I changed the hammers with the Alchimista’s and it was a direct fit.  The tricky thing is the timing, (the sear to hand relation), I had to stretch the hands on mine to get the timing right.  

6 hours ago, Chacón said:

Care to expand on this?  How are they different?

Two completely different manufacturers.  Can you use Ford parts in a Chevy?

1 hour ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

From a former Michigan boy here - Yes,  yes you can.  :blink:

With enough ingenuity and money or with enough desperation and a complete lack of funds (I was usually in that 2nd group) - most anything can fit most anything else.

I drove Fords with Chevy engines.

Chevrolets with Ford rear ends (lots of those).

Replaced a $200 Nippon alternator with $19 Chevy one (and a boat load of washers and spacers).

And I imagine if someone "wanted to" badly enough - Uberti Hammers would eventually fit in a Pietta.

But like some of my Franksteins monster mashups - it might work - it may not be pretty.  :huh:

10 minutes ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

Oh yeah!  Try to get a Ford 289 intake manifold on a Chevy 327.:blink:

You can do it.

It might have a "small" vacum leak or two.

And it "might" seep a little oil.

But every car I have ever owned leaked oil.

And a vacum leak makes you feel like you have a hi lift cam (at idle).  :D

Ok, short of breaking out the aluminum welding kit - the 289 to 327 swap "could" be an issue.

But beyond widening it and moving the distributor - mating up the intake ports and water passages - I really dont see the challenge.  :P

On 7/25/2021 at 5:31 PM, Chacón said:

I was discussing lower hammer spurs yesterday with a fellow at a match and he told me about a place selling them.  Of course my brain farted and I can't find the website for them.  Can anyone suggest a source for lower spur hammers for my Piettas?

You can order "turned down" hammer assemblies, or "Alchemista" (lower wider) hammer assemblies for your Pietta from EMF (Pietta USA).  They come in case-hardened or nickel-plated.  

7 hours ago, Larsen E. Pettifogger, SASS #32933 said:

I don't think that's responsive to my question.  There's a Ford parts out on my Chevy in the driveway, actually.  I also know that there are u joints, hardware, and a ring and pinion set (along with all the bearings in that differential) out there on my Chevy that'd fit on some Fords, not to mention a bunch of other parts.  Can I use Ford parts in a Chevy?  Sure, it just depends on which one.  The lug nuts will fit any Ford with 9/16-18 lug nuts, along with every other such vehicle. 

Considering they're both supposed to be clones of the same gun, I had thought that any dimensional variation that'd cause major components to not fit in the frame at all would be outside of the realm of possibility.  Apparently my default thought on that was wrong, which is why I asked you to explain the differences, which you still have not done.  That my Chevy and a Ford of the same year are made by different manufacturers is obvious; that the lug nuts would interchange between them less so.  I asked you the question in an effort to learn the differences.

Archived