SASS Wire Forum

Cowboy jargon that is not understood.

On 6/24/2021 at 8:50 AM, Dusty Devil Dale said:

Just remember that everything expressed here is someone's opinion. 

I dunno.  I think sometimes stuff gets posted that is not the opinion of anyone including the person who posted it.  Happens a lot more often on other websites, but the sasswire aint completely immune from it. 

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Doughnuts?

Oh...   Donuts.

[Sorry I'm from New England.  There's a Dunkin' Donuts every 500 yards or so.]

Around here, we say that doughnuts are made out of "dough"....and thus, donuts are made out of..."do".... (eewww!!!) and would you really want your pastry to made out of "do", or "dough"...???

It's "doughnuts" by a landslide!!!!

31 minutes ago, Waxahachie Kid #17017 L said:

Around here, we say that doughnuts are made out of "dough"....and thus, donuts are made out of..."do".... (eewww!!!) and would you really want your pastry to made out of "do", or "dough"...???

It's "doughnuts" by a landslide!!!!

Dunkin' Donuts...  It's worth the trip.

And I never eat fish west of the Hudson.

This thread is officailly derailed.

1 hour ago, H. K. Uriah, SASS #74619 said:

Dunkin' Donuts...  It's worth the trip.

And I never eat fish west of the Hudson.

This thread is officailly derailed.

It could be argued that if you find yourself west of the Hudson and want to order fish, you've just gone a long way east....

19 minutes ago, Doc Shapiro said:

It could be argued that if you find yourself west of the Hudson and want to order fish, you've just gone a long way east....

I'm from New England.   I consider Washington DC to be a city in the "Southwest."   It's south of the Mason Dixon line and west of the Hudson.

On 6/24/2021 at 9:12 PM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Nope - they painted their badges...and I think it was for Overall only.

Phantom

Yep, Category winners also... my son has one from 1991, he'd won the Jr Boys category in 1990.   

7 hours ago, Griff said:

Yep, Category winners also... my son has one from 1991, he'd won the Jr Boys category in 1990.   

Nope. Some folks that didn't win overall painted their badges... But the tradition was for only overall winners.

So. Cal. Had a lot of category winners... None of them painted their badges...I sure didn't.

Phantom

On 6/26/2021 at 7:28 AM, Phantom, SASS #54973 said:

Nope. Some folks that didn't win overall painted their badges... But the tradition was for only overall winners.

So. Cal. Had a lot of category winners... None of them painted their badges...I sure didn't.

Phantom

Well... by the time you started... there WERE a LOT more categories. Just so we're clear, I'm talking about the shooter's EOT entrant badge, not the official "SASS" badge.  So it obviously started falling by the wayside somewhere after 1991.  But... originally, black badges were issued by the WB to previous category & overall winners.  Weren't required to paint yer own.   Black badge, white lettering... 

16 hours ago, Griff said:

Well... by the time you started... there WERE a LOT more categories. Just so we're clear, I'm talking about the shooter's EOT entrant badge, not the official "SASS" badge.  So it obviously started falling by the wayside somewhere after 1991.  But... originally, black badges were issued by the WB to previous category & overall winners.  Weren't required to paint yer own.   Black badge, white lettering... 

You do know that I "Grew Up" with a bunch of "low badge" holders...multi-time World Champions (Overall) and countless Category World Champs...oh, and National Champs too. Yep...was fortunate enough to start shooting in So. Cal where it ALL started...so Griff, come on...leave the "By the time you started" outta this...my experiences include all the wonderful conversations I had with shooters that were "There".

The "Black SASS Badges" as far back as I know were painted black by the Overall Winners of EOT. Who cares about an entry badge...??? Hell, I've got all sorts of different color Shooter Badges...and if you won a category and painted your badge black...you heard about it...and rightly so!!

Phantom

Phantom,

I know all of the above.  But... if your friends can't harass you, who can?  I'd only heard the question "...why do some folks have black badges..." in reference to the entry badges at EOT.  Ergo, my answer.  If some overall winners painted their SASS badge black... Ok... Frankly, this is the first I've heard of this "practice".  I shot with Tex last week, but he was wearing his blue "Patriot" badge.

As we both know, I'll never be in any danger of deciding whether to paint my SASS badge black... besides, I rather like the gold mine is... ;)   

35 minutes ago, The Rainmaker, SASS #11631 said:

Heck, I always thought "Black Badges" were some on -high SASS rules gurus or some such. Lol

Not hardly! :lol:
Some folks incorrectly refer to the black RO Instructor
PINS as "badges".

Archived