SASS Wire Forum

first time shooting a center fire rifle

Highwall

On my fifteenth birthday (1966) my dad gifted me with a 30/30 Winchester lever action with a case hardened receiver and octagon blued barrel. He also got one for himself and we soon ventured out to a friends farm for some target shooting.  I was surprised at the recoil after only shooting 22lr up until then.  I did however hit the outside ring of the paper target nailed to a tree at 50 yards plus while dad hit the bullseye first shot.  He made a simple adjustment for me on the rear sight elevation and then I hit the bullseye dead center on the next shot. Good times to remember! :D

Center fire rifles and most shotguns are a kick to shoot  (Pun intended), but my tired old body doesn't take in stride like it once did.

The next day that doesn't involve lashing myself to something so's not to blow away, me and my 76 rifle  ( .45-60) are going to get some quality time together.  It isn't too bad with BP loads.

i was introduced in 59 with both 3006 and 303 , i still thank my long gone father for being so generous with his time and money as well as these fine rifles , 

"...but my tired old body doesn't take in stride like it once did....." aint that the truth ? i tend to limit my heavy caliber use these days , i feel it a lot more , 

• 4 weeks later...

After my first experience with a center fire rifle at a young age  I soon began to experiment with various loads in .308, 6mm Rem, 7.62×51mm NATO

and .243 win. for hunting and target shooting. Turns out my 45/70 Gov't( Remington 300gr JHPs running at 1200-1500fps as my "light" load )  did just as about as good at 100 yds as all others!

And the recoil wasn't near as bad as the .308!

Howdy,

.22 rifles and shotguns for birds were all I shot until one day

a fella dressed kinda funny handed me a free rifle and lots of free ammo.

I did ok with that one.

Best

CR

M1 Carbine, 9 years old. Much more fun than the .22 bolt action.

Found out it fires faster than the bolt action.

Found out Dad not happy I was burning up his ammo that fast.

Found out how to reload on a single stage Herter's press.

Nice example of cause and effect relationship.

4 hours ago, Chili Ron said:

Howdy,

.22 rifles and shotguns for birds were all I shot until one day

a fella dressed kinda funny handed me a free rifle and lots of free ammo.

I did ok with that one.

Best

CR

Ok, I'm old codger and reckon I need an explanation! to understand this post properly!  

My nephew was thinking about going deer hunting with a friend.  This nephew is my heir, so I sent my Remington Model 700 ADL in .30-06 with a Weaver 4x scope home with him.  He took it to range to try it out.  "Uncle Birdgun, that gun kicks like hell!"  

He never went deer hunting. <_<

30 minutes ago, Highwall said:

Ok, I'm old codger and reckon I need an explanation! to understand this post properly!  

I'm going to take a wild guess that the "fella dressed kinda funny" was wearing green with a Smokey Bear hat and stripes on his sleeve.

I was about 11 or 12 when my neighbor kid's dad took us out with a .30-30. IIRC, it was a Model 64 Takedown (kid's dad passed years ago, and the guy couldn't recall what happened to the rifle! :( )  Took us to a rifle range, and we shot a few rounds with nothing but a t-shirt! Wow, did that hurt!  Next big bore was an M-1 Garand, followed by a Winchester M70 my dad bought me for hunting.  Had a recoil pad put on to lengthen the stock as well as for recoil.

Haven't fired anything hotter than a sxs 12ga with FeatherLite loads, and that's been at least six months before the pandemic shut everything down.  On top of that, I've got a temporary bridge on my right side teeth, and probably need more work on that side before I can get anything permanently installed. :(  

Archived