SASS Wire Forum

Black Powder .38 Special Loads, My Recipe...

Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423

It's a great example for those starting out reloading that you don't have to go with an expensive automated machine.  It's virtually impossible to make a squib load or double charge a load the way you measure your powder.  Also,  impossible to have a primer seated sideways, upside down or left too high, etc. 

Years back,  I would set in the recliner and process hundreds at a time with a Lee hand press. (Usually in the winter time when things were slow.) Prime with the old style Lee priming tool.  I would use my Lyman 55 measure to charge Unique powder loads while in loading blocks.  Even with Unique in a 45 Colt bucket, tip in good light and every charge could be checked.  Set a bullet on each case and back to the recliner to seat and crimp. 

Yeah, it took me hours and hours over several evening to load 3,4,5 hounded rounds.  But not really. I could do a hundred or so and then break and do something else. 

I still use the Lee dippers to load black powder shotgun shells much the same way.   

Love your videos Jedi.

I would have commented on the YouTube channel but the company I worked for has implemented this new security software so all your videos are considered Restricted.  I have to go through hoops to eventually view them, but I can't see any of the comments and can't leave any comments of my own. 

The laptop I use belongs to my employer, so even though I'm using it at home or in a hotel in off hours, I can't turn off that security.

Man, where is this world headed?

5 minutes ago, Diamond Jake said:

Love your videos Jedi.

I would have commented on the YouTube channel but the company I worked for has implemented this new security software so all your videos are considered Restricted.  I have to go through hoops to eventually view them, but I can't see any of the comments and can't leave any comments of my own. 

The laptop I use belongs to my employer, so even though I'm using it at home or in a hotel in off hours, I can't turn off that security.

Most places I've staid have a "guest office" with a computer.   But I always travel with my smart phone and tablet.

I used a lee hand primer for a while, then I tried the ram prime... I love my ram prime!  I don't use it often anymore since I don't have a single stage since I gave away my hand press, but I keep it at my friend's house with his press for the odd reloading project that requires one if it doesn't go on my Lee ABLP.  

19 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Why don’t you like the old style Lee hand primer?

I don't care for the "pop-metal" feel.  I've also broken a handle more'n once!  

@Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423, I love your videos and have been watching them for a long time!  I know sometimes you have something and it just works for you, but I love my Lee Auto Breechlock Pro press and I think it could be a great upgrade for you.  The guys over on the Reloader's Network actually have some videos outlining how to combine the ABLP with the Turret Press so you can keep using your 4 hole turrets if you like.  Either way you go, you could combine your depriming, repriming, case mouth belling, powder charging bullet seating and crimping into one load session.  I understand the use of the lee funnels and dipper for loading black powder, but the ABLP would allow you to dispense with the person holding the funnel, just put your funnel on top of the powder through expander and there you go!  you can always upgrade with a case and bullet feeder, even a powder dispenser if you find one that works the way you want with your powder.  

6 hours ago, Chief Rick said:

That reloading room is too clean and organized.:ph34r:

:D It is truly the sign of a warped mind... And, while I do a bit of tidying up prior to filming it is, for the most part, kept that neat and clean.  I just pick up after every job and put all my tools away.  I kinda consider that “part of the job”.  

3 hours ago, Diamond Jake said:

Love your videos Jedi.

Well, I appreciate your comment here!  As for where the worlds heading... whew... I just don’t have that answer ;) But it does seem to, at times, be in the wrong direction.  

3 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I understand not liking the new style as the folding tray is kinda hokey. 

I kept breaking the charging handle.  That thing ya press with your thumb... yeah, I snapped a few of ‘em.  Plus I find the RCBS much more comfortable for those long loading sessions.  And, the RCBS is way easier to get the primers in.  I don’t understand why the LEE has that round primer tray when primer boxes are square.  Trying to turn the box of primers over into the LEE almost always ended with a few primers bouncing around in my lap/on the floor.  

Like I said in the video, I’m a big fan of their other equipment, but that LEE hand primer is not the one for me.  

3 hours ago, Griff said:

I don't care for the "pop-metal" feel.  I've also broken a handle more'n once!  

Exactly.  

2 hours ago, El CupAJoe said:

@Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423, I love your videos and have been watching them for a long time!  I know sometimes you have something and it just works for you, but I love my Lee Auto Breechlock Pro press and I think it could be a great upgrade for you.  The guys over on the Reloader's Network actually have some videos outlining how to combine the ABLP with the Turret Press so you can keep using your 4 hole turrets if you like.  Either way you go, you could combine your depriming, repriming, case mouth belling, powder charging bullet seating and crimping into one load session.  I understand the use of the lee funnels and dipper for loading black powder, but the ABLP would allow you to dispense with the person holding the funnel, just put your funnel on top of the powder through expander and there you go!  you can always upgrade with a case and bullet feeder, even a powder dispenser if you find one that works the way you want with your powder.  

Thanks for the tip El CupAJoe!  

Thanks, I just started using the RCBS hand primer because the Lee will not accommodate 56-50 brass. Have only used it a few times so I haven't formed a solid opinion on it yet.

Keep up the good work with the videos. they are greatly appreciated. Love how you show the average shooter misses, train wrecks and all. 

41 minutes ago, Jed I. Knight, SASS #36423 said:

I don’t understand why the LEE has that round primer tray when primer boxes are square

All the new Lee Priming trays use a square tray that folds in half after you dump the primers in and get them all oriented the right direction.  My biggest issue with the lee Auto Prime was thumb fatigue.

image.png.18f0d641855ebe3b33a5a99046fc379a.png

Sawmill Mary primes all our brass by hand. We bought a the Lee Auto Prime. It was a train wreck keeping it working. We didn't have it long when the parts inside the feed system broke. We took it back to Grafs to see if the upgrade kit would fix it.  We looked at the RCBS standard hand primer and decided it looked far more substantial than the Lee. Rick, bless his hart, gave us full refund on our busted Lee and we came home with the RCBS priming tool.   We have been happy with it. The only problem is changing out the shell holers requires taking it apart and reassembling it.  Also, although it takes "standard" shell holders, only RCBS work without modifying them. The chamfer in the bottem needs to be enlarged on other brands.

5 hours ago, Warden Callaway said:

Sawmill Mary primes all our brass by hand. We bought a the Lee Auto Prime. It was a train wreck keeping it working. We didn't have it long when the parts inside the feed system broke. We took it back to Grafs to see if the upgrade kit would fix it.  We looked at the RCBS standard hand primer and decided it looked far more substantial than the Lee. Rick, bless his hart, gave us full refund on our busted Lee and we came home with the RCBS priming tool.   We have been happy with it. The only problem is changing out the shell holers requires taking it apart and reassembling it.  Also, although it takes "standard" shell holders, only RCBS work without modifying them. The chamfer in the bottem needs to be enlarged on other brands.

Oh, there is another thing, I use the RCBS Universal Hand Primer it doesn’t need shell holders (and... yeah I bought two so that I don’t have to change out from small pistol to large pistol primers). 

10 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

I understand not liking the new style as the folding tray is kinda hokey. 

I have also broken my fair share of tabs of the plastic cover on the Lee tool as well.

Have used the Lee primer since '98 - still functions good ;)

Of course now that I am setting up the new Dillon it may just go in the drawer...

GG ~ :FlagAm:

Archived