SASS Wire Forum

18 Colts

GhostRider, #73 SASSLIFE

Clever Mathematics

A  man died leaving his 17 Colt SAAs to his 3 sons.  When his sons opened up the will, it read:

My eldest son should get 1/2 (half) of total Colts;
My middle son should be given 1/3rd (one-third) of the total Colts;
My youngest son should be given 1/9th (one-ninth) of the total Colts.

As it’s impossible to divide 17 into half or 17 by 3 or 17 by 9, the three sons started to fight with each other. 
So, they decided to go to a family friend who they considered quite smart, to see if he could work it out for them.  
The friend read the will patiently; after giving due thought, he brought one of his own Colts over and added it to the 17.

That increased the total to 18.

Then, he divided the Colts according to their father's Will.

Half of 18 = 9. So he gave the eldest son 9 Colts.

1/3rd of 18 = 6. So he gave the middle son 6 Colts.

1/9th of 18 = 2. So he gave the youngest son 2 Colts.

Now add up how many Colts they have: 

Eldest son……..9
                                                                                  Middle son…..6
                                                                                 Youngest son 2      

TOTAL …..….17

Now this leaves one Colt over, so the family friend takes his Colt back to his place. Problem solved
Moral? maybe:  The attitude of negotiation and problem solving is to find the '18th Colt',  i.e., the common ground. 
Once a person is able to find the 18th Colt the issue is resolved. It is difficult at times. However, to reach a 
solution, the first step is to believe that there is a solution.
If we think that there is no solution, we won’t be able to reach any. 

If we think that there is a solution, there is. 

Best to all............gr

My grandpa used to tell a similar head scratcher,

Three salesmen walk in to a hotel late at night and ask for a room.  The clerk says the room will be $30 so they each pay $10 and head to the room.  After thinking a few minutes the clerk decided he charged them too much for the room so he called the bell hop over and gave him 5 one dollar bills and told him to go give it to the salesmen.  On the way to the room the bell hop decides five dollars will be hard to divide between three fellas so he puts two dollars in his pocket.  He gives the salesmen each $1 back.  So that means the salesmen paid $9 each for the room. 9x3=27 plus the $2 the bell hop kept =29.  Where did the other dollar go? 

When Dad came back from WWII,  he bought the 140 acre farm that we now live on from three sisters who had inherited it.  When they went to close the transition for the agreed on sum of $2,000, the three sisters couldn't figure out how to split $2,000 three ways so they upped the price to $2,100. Dad was mad and almost black out of buying the farm.

Play n words. The the desk clerk has 25.00 and the bellhop has 2.00, total of 27.00

On 1/15/2021 at 9:12 AM, GhostRider, #73 SASSLIFE said:

Clever Mathematics

A  man died leaving his 17 Colt SAAs to his 3 sons.  When his sons opened up the will, it read:

My eldest son should get 1/2 (half) of total Colts;
My middle son should be given 1/3rd (one-third) of the total Colts;
My youngest son should be given 1/9th (one-ninth) of the total Colts.

As it’s impossible to divide 17 into half or 17 by 3 or 17 by 9, the three sons started to fight with each other. 
So, they decided to go to a family friend who they considered quite smart, to see if he could work it out for them.  
The friend read the will patiently; after giving due thought, he brought one of his own Colts over and added it to the 17.

That increased the total to 18.

Then, he divided the Colts according to their father's Will.

Half of 18 = 9. So he gave the eldest son 9 Colts.

1/3rd of 18 = 6. So he gave the middle son 6 Colts.

1/9th of 18 = 2. So he gave the youngest son 2 Colts.

Now add up how many Colts they have: 

Eldest son……..9
                                                                                  Middle son…..6
                                                                                 Youngest son 2      

TOTAL …..….17

Now this leaves one Colt over, so the family friend takes his Colt back to his place. Problem solved
Moral? maybe:  The attitude of negotiation and problem solving is to find the '18th Colt',  i.e., the common ground. 
Once a person is able to find the 18th Colt the issue is resolved. It is difficult at times. However, to reach a 
solution, the first step is to believe that there is a solution.
If we think that there is no solution, we won’t be able to reach any. 

If we think that there is a solution, there is. 

Best to all............gr

A solution for people who have no math skills.

Archived