Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum

Recommended Posts

As we all know, there are several milestone matches coming up in 2021.

 

EOT celebrates its 40th Annual, Winter Range has its 30, and Alabama's Ambush will celebrate its 25th Annual in 2021.

 

It is interesting taking a moment or two to look back at some of these matches. I hope that you take a moment to read more about the match itself.

 

So, what better place to start than the inagural Ambush, Ambush at the Caverns 1997.

 

https://branchwaterjack.com/blog.aspx?post=1

 

Be sure that you also check out the stages from 'the good old days.'

Edited by Branchwater Jack SASS #88854
added new secure url
  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

The first SASS match I shot was with the North Alabama Regulators, February 2011. Sidekick and Tuff Stuff were on my posse. I remember watching them and thinking ‘what have I got myself into’.
 

Barkeep Casey gave me a box of Featherlights to replace whatever bone crushing shotgun loads I was shooting. I’ll never forget his generosity.

 

 I was shooting a rifle and shotgun I had never touched before that day and slicked up pistols I had purchased a few days before and never shot. I had about a million misses, several dozen Ps, and probably some other penalties on top of that.

 

Buck D. Law mentored me and through his actions showed me what the spirit of cowboy action shooting was all about.
 

I was hooked.

 

I’ve lost count of the matches I’ve shot there, but I do remember I enjoyed every one of them.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/9/2020 at 11:12 AM, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

As we all know, there are several milestone matches coming up in 2021.

 

EOT celebrates its 40th Annual, Winter Range has its 30, and Alabama's Ambush will celebrate its 25th Annual in 2021.

 

It is interesting taking a moment or two to look back at some of these matches. I hope that you take a moment to read more about the match itself.

 

So, what better place to start than the inagural Ambush, Ambush at the Caverns 1997.

 

https://branchwaterjack.com/blog/20201109.htm

 

Be sure that you also check out the stages from 'the good old days.'

Thanks for posting this, very interesting reading how it was back then.

 

Randy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

With the first Ambush at the Caverns proving to be a success, what better way to celebrate than by hosting another one in 1998?

 

https://branchwaterjack.com/blog?post=2

 

The match was still 8 stages, you needed a couple more bullets than you did the year prior, and I hope you brought a bandana!

 

After reading through the shooter's book, some of you old-timers who remember this match from 1998 might have to fill us in on some of the inside secrets to shooting this one.

 

And, thanks to @Will Reilly 12375,  we now have a copy of the 2001 Ambush Shooter's Book. You should be looking forward to this one!

Edited by Branchwater Jack SASS #88854
Fix link
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

With the first Ambush at the Caverns proving to be a success, what better way to celebrate than by hosting another one in 1998?

 

https://branchwaterjack.com/blog?post=2

 

The match was still 8 stages, you needed a couple more bullets than you did the year prior, and I hope you brought a bandana!

 

After reading through the shooter's book, some of you old-timers who remember this match from 1998 might have to fill us in on some of the inside secrets to shooting this one.

 

And, thanks to @Will Reilly 12375,  we now have a copy of the 2001 Ambush Shooter's Book. You should be looking forward to this one!

Wow on Stage 8 spotters would need a calculator to keep up with the score. As old as some of us are now we'd need an oxygen bottle at the Unloading Table.

 

Thanks again, these are fun to read. I'd like to try a few of them someday.

 

Randy

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

The place is Alabama. The year is 1999. A.D. Well, of course it is A.D. Anyway...

 

Following their first two successful Ambush matches, the third match finally had a theme. You can read all about the additions, changes, and goings on of the 1999 Ambush at the Caverns:

 

http://branchwaterjack.com/blog.aspx?post=3

 

Be sure to read the stages, especially Stage 3. Put that stage into context to shoot it today. I understand folks attitudes towards masks, but do you think folks would do all that?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 I won that 1998 match but I doubt my advice would be that helpful. I used a 45 colt marlin , a .357 Colt 7 1/2# bbl, and a 38/40 Uberti 5 1/2" bbl along with a Stoeger so my choice of firearms and caliber seems moot. I loaded my .38s with 180 grain bullets so recoil would feel similar.

It was a great party. I didn't do as well in 1999 but it was just as fun.

Thanks Jack.

Joe West

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/23/2020 at 2:56 PM, Randy Saint Eagle, SASS # 64903 said:

Wow on Stage 8 spotters would need a calculator to keep up with the score. As old as some of us are now we'd need an oxygen bottle at the Unloading Table.

 

Thanks again, these are fun to read. I'd like to try a few of them someday.

 

Randy

I think the loincloth stage would be a good one for you Randy!

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Place the reins in your mouth for the whole shooting string! Hmm... think I would go first on that stage.

 

We did the reload 5 on the clock at monthly sometime after that. Drake popped the cylinder out of his Blackhawk, dumped the brass reloaded 5 and put it back together before most folks could eject 5 rounds out and start the reload. Sneaky bastage.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Do anything long enough and you come to realize that change is inevitable. The same is true about Ambush.

 

The 2000 edition of Ambush expanded the shooting to 10 stages of cowboy fun. When flipping through the shooter's book, read through stage 10 and let me know what you think.

 

https://branchwaterjack.com/blog.aspx?post=4

 

Y'all stay safe, enjoy your Christmas break, and we'll see you next year On The Firing Line!

Edited by Branchwater Jack SASS #88854
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Many will remember Ambush 2001 for a lot of different reasons. The least of which...this was the first Ambush at the new range.

 

Read about it: http://branchwaterjack.com/blog?post=5

 

If you skip through most of it, I beg of you....read through Stage 1 and let me know if you would like to see something similar to it at this year's Ambush!

 

Of course...maybe you think that it is time to bring back The Mystery Stage...

 

 

Edited by Branchwater Jack SASS #88854
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Many will remember Ambush 2001 for a lot of different reasons. The least of which...this was the first Ambush at the new range.

 

Read about it: http://branchwaterjack.com/blog?post=5

 

If you skip through most of it, I beg of you....read through Stage 1 and let me know if you would like to see something similar to it at this year's Ambush!

 

Of course...maybe you think that it is time to bring back The Mystery Stage...

 

 

Don't like borrowing other people's guns and I never thought the mystery stage was fair.

So no, no for me.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Branchwater Jack SASS #88854 said:

Many will remember Ambush 2001 for a lot of different reasons. The least of which...this was the first Ambush at the new range.

 

Read about it: http://branchwaterjack.com/blog?post=5

 

If you skip through most of it, I beg of you....read through Stage 1 and let me know if you would like to see something similar to it at this year's Ambush!

 

Of course...maybe you think that it is time to bring back The Mystery Stage...

 

 

I'm going to echo Ringer on this.  I'm not interested in shooting someone else's gun(s) or ammo at a match, so no to stage 1. 

 

The Mystery stage is an enigma to me, so I can't answer that one. 

 

It might be fun, it might be a nightmare, so include it in a big match......?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Ambush 2002 was the first 12 stage Ambush. It also featured the first 10-10-4, although we are still waiting for the first knockdown targets to show up on the range.

 

http://branchwaterjack.com/blog.aspx?post=6

 

This match features a lot of the stages and activities typical for 'the old days.' I hope you check the stages out.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Ah the bottle targets. I love those things. 

Always hated the secret stage. It was a bunch of fun but hated it in the state shoot. 

Edited by Marshal TKD, Sass # 36984L
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks again Branchwater.

I think the secret stage that year was either the bunch of knock downs. It included stepping down off of the stage front in the sawmill, or it was the one where you had to borrow some one else’s pistols. Interestingly as I recall,  if it was the knock down stage nobody complained about it. The borrowing pistols resulted in a few AD’s and at least one match DQ.

The half page book idea was borrowed from the The Last Stand. I found it was a whole lot easier carrying around a half page shooters book. The Cowboy looking targets where done in publisher and took a pretty good bit of time to create. The upcoming Indian and Alabama targets also took a little bit of doing. One of the hard parts was getting the set up help to match target shapes on the range to what was in the book. The attitude was it doesn’t matter just put some steel out. I had quite a few conversations about it does matter and then rearranging of the targets. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

The 2006 Ambush at Cavern Cove is featured on todays blog. This blast from the past features stages written by an hombre who rode on ahead, Bobcat Sparks.

 

https://branchwaterjack.com/blog.aspx?post=10
 

 

Edited by Branchwater Jack SASS #88854
typo
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.