SASS Wire Forum

C. S. Lewis

Raylan

7 hours ago, Cyrus Cassidy #45437 said:

I think his best work was probably "Mere Christianity."

Mine was “A Grief Observed.”  

I read it while going through my divorce, a particularly low part of my life on a physical, emotional, and spiritual level. 

it brought me great comfort knowing that a great thinker and man of faith like CS Lewis could also have doubts and wrestle with God while seeking answers.

A great man. I've read all of his writings, except some of the later Narnia novels, and most things several  times over the years.

He was writing 70 years ago of many of the very things that have come to bedevil us in our contemporary  society.

He has had a huge influence on behalf of Christianity in the English-speaking world for 80+ years now. Every time you read him, your faith is strengthened once again.

I've read "Mere Christianity" and "A Grief Observed."  Both great.  "Mere Christianity" is not light reading.  Very deep but worth the effort.   "A Grief Observed" is very practical and insightful.  Yes, when in deep despair, I too have beat and banged on God's door so furiously hard that I could not hear His still, small voice.

Wonderful reads, especially when you have had to hit your knees at o'dark thirty in grief.

54 minutes ago, Dirty Dan Dawkins said:

Probably cause I know it’s all fake.

But you’ll hang out with us, not knowing our real names, while dressed in costumes, and probably won’t meet most of each other in person?

Couldn't resist it. 

3 hours ago, Charlie Harley, #14153 said:

But you’ll hang out with us, not knowing our real names, while dressed in costumes, and probably won’t meet most of each other in person?

Couldn't resist it. 

But at least most of y’all are sincere.

53 minutes ago, Red Gauntlet , SASS 60619 said:

It's not fake, it's fiction. Besides, how do you know it's 'all fake' if you don't read it?

I have a code I live by. Part of it includes that I will not even walk down a fiction section at a book store. Even historical fiction is too much of a stretch for me. I don’t read autobiographies either. I figure most people can’t resist their own vanity from embellishing, or edit, their life’s story, myself included.

I admit, I never have been much into  reading literature and flowery language or others views on life, love, politics or religion. I figure they must have a dark agenda to coax me to yield to their persuasions. Part of the code I live by is to be vigilant of others, for perhaps others could be under the control of alien species, assisting in their never ending quest to create human-alien hybrids.

Perhaps if more of y’all would consider the Art Bell archives, and lay the CS Lewis aside, you’d be made more aware of the threat aliens pose to humanity. If CS Lewis is your thing fine, but also be aware Bigfoot could very well be a hoax aliens are playing on us to draw attention away from their sinister motives. This theory deserves further recognition and investigation.

The novels of Louis L'Amour, or Elmer Kelton, for example, are fiction. The Walking Drum, by L'Amour, is historical fiction. These type books cab give us a very real glimpse of how life was, back in the time the novel is set. Fiction can be important, being based on true events, and props, as is non-fiction.

Yes, there is some fiction that may not be very profitable to read, but then again, there is fiction that can be important to read, and will help educate us in how people lived, especially historical fiction.

Last time I looked, we are still free in this country to read whatever we can get our hands on, so read fiction, or avoid it, as anyone wishes. But a lot of great thoughts can come out of a historical fictional novel.

"We needed books, we needed something on which to build dreams."  Louis L'Amour, from the novel: Ride the River.  

Archived