Jump to content
SASS Wire Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Perro Del Diablo

Grip strength and hand control

Recommended Posts

I saw post about using filter wrench to get cap off tank. I've used this technique even as young marine working the motor pool. Now days my problem is I seem to drop everything. some days worse than others. With 2 neck surgeries that haven't corrected my problems and shoulder surgery I don't know if done much good. I wonder if lack of hand control could be side effect of all the degenerated and slipped disc I have, the arthritis on my facet joints of vertebrae in neck or am I just getting clumsy as I get older. I need ask doctor about this at my next visit.

  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Get checked for carpul tunnel

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Perron Del Diablo,

I am fortunate that I haven't had to endure the surgeries that you have,but 50+ years as a butcher have definitely  had their effect on my hands and wrists.Decreased grip strength and loss of dexterity, declining fine motor skills,and a general clumsiness are what I'm experiencing.

As Old Man Greybeard suggests ,I believe I am experiencing the early  stages of Carpal tunnel.

Getting old sucks,but it beats the alternative.

Choctaw Jack 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My dad, and his mother, both had arthritis in their hands by the time they were in their 50s.  I have the same.  It's worse on cold mornings, and after working with my hands on intricate projects, like disassembly and assembly of firearms, or reloading ammo.  But I learn to live with it, and take an occasional ibuprofin or acetaminophen to combat the pain.   

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have really bad arthritis in my right wrist and I have Carpal Tunnel issues and need surgery. That is taking a back seat to surgery I need for a herniated disc that CoVid 19 has put on hold for me. 
 

For my wrist / hand I noticed a reduction in grip strength. Not to where I was dropping things but I did notice the reduction in strength. I agree with @Old Man Graybeard

Get checked for Carpal Tunnel. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Old Man Graybeard said:

Get checked for carpul tunnel

Part of all the testing I've been doing was a nerve conductivity test. Results show no nerve damage but did indicate C4-C5 disc. Thank you for suggestion.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, LawMan Mark, SASS #57095L said:

My dad, and his mother, both had arthritis in their hands by the time they were in their 50s.  I have the same.  It's worse on cold mornings, and after working with my hands on intricate projects, like disassembly and assembly of firearms, or reloading ammo.  But I learn to live with it, and take an occasional ibuprofin or acetaminophen to combat the pain.   

Arthritis Dr. checked my hands for arthritis and found none. rheumatology all came back negative so it is osteoarthritis mainly in my neck and low back. Tylenol ibuprofen and RX meds are taken close to limit I am allowed per day I try be especially careful with RX so i supplement with over counter. This is all been discussed with several doctors. My GI DR. does not like me using ibuprofen because hard on stomach and especially with me having had gastric bypass surgery 10 years ago.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

I have really bad arthritis in my right wrist and I have Carpal Tunnel issues and need surgery. That is taking a back seat to surgery I need for a herniated disc that CoVid 19 has put on hold for me. 
 

For my wrist / hand I noticed a reduction in grip strength. Not to where I was dropping things but I did notice the reduction in strength. I agree with @Old Man Graybeard

Get checked for Carpal Tunnel. 

Been checked for carpal tunnel and other nerve damage all came back negative. I was schedualed to have my gallbladder removed April 1st. Guess april fool on me it was canceled due to convid 19. Neck Dr. said plan have 3 level fusion but do gall bladder first after all this settles down.

Edited by Perro Del Diablo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harbor Freight sells a 2 pack of simple rubber strap wrenches that look they would be perfect for smaller caps like fuel caps   $5 for the pair.   GW

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know the Doc said no nerve damage, but your situation sounds similar to mine a few years back after I had a shoulder/neck injury. 

 

Basically one of the big nerves that runs through my shoulder got pinched pretty badly.  It manifested in my right arm feeling pins and needles a lot.  I didn't really notice the impact on grip strength until I realized I couldn't pick up my '73 one handed off the LT and I couldn't grip my right pistol tightly enough to draw it. The signals just weren't getting through right.  Physical therapy fixed it, mostly, though I've never gotten full mobility in my neck back. 

 

Any pins and needles feeling?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

had a traumatic carpal tunnel injury in left palm when I "caught' a RC airplane with it.  Plane had a 60 engine that was wide open at the time.  On positive side:  missed my face by 6 inches.

 

Do the rehab!  there will be some pain involved but it does get better.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Check the known side effects of any meds you take.

I too have the hand strength/grip issues and had to give up Dualist about a yr ago.

OLG 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just BEAR with Me ,,,,, I just Think the "getting old" is a ploy for sympathy ,,,, Suck it up ..... 

And get a pair of those wrist grip strengtheners and work out the Kinks...

Or just shoot some of my Cowboy loads 240 gr.  .44 Cal bullets out of mt Open-Tops at about 900 Fps.

Then work up to my .45 Colt loads...

 

Jabez Cowboy 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I know the Doc said no nerve damage, but your situation sounds similar to mine a few years back after I had a shoulder/neck injury. 

 

Basically one of the big nerves that runs through my shoulder got pinched pretty badly.  It manifested in my right arm feeling pins and needles a lot.  I didn't really notice the impact on grip strength until I realized I couldn't pick up my '73 one handed off the LT and I couldn't grip my right pistol tightly enough to draw it. The signals just weren't getting through right.  Physical therapy fixed it, mostly, though I've never gotten full mobility in my neck back. 

 

Any pins and needles feeling?

Not pins and needles but do get numbness in little 2 fingers mostly pain in neck and arm to elbow. I do have disc pinching nerves but also a lot of arthritis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

had a traumatic carpal tunnel injury in left palm when I "caught' a RC airplane with it.  Plane had a 60 engine that was wide open at the time.  On positive side:  missed my face by 6 inches.

 

Do the rehab!  there will be some pain involved but it does get better.  

Been to rehab several times not much help for me

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Check the known side effects of any meds you take.

I too have the hand strength/grip issues and had to give up Dualist about a yr ago.

OLG 

 

Side effects listed don’t include my hand just stop working for a moment long enough to drop keys pick them up drop again and so on. When I realize it happening I can control if I concentrate on my grip more

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Jabez Cowboy,SASS # 50129 said:

Just BEAR with Me ,,,,, I just Think the "getting old" is a ploy for sympathy ,,,, Suck it up ..... 

And get a pair of those wrist grip strengtheners and work out the Kinks...

Or just shoot some of my Cowboy loads 240 gr.  .44 Cal bullets out of mt Open-Tops at about 900 Fps.

Then work up to my .45 Colt loads...

 

Jabez Cowboy 

Lets roll be worth the morning after

Edited by Perro Del Diablo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Side effects listed don’t include my hand just stop working for a moment long enough to drop keys pick them up drop again and so on. When I realize it happening I can control if I concentrate on my grip more

 

That's also just part part of aging.

I have similar issues with my hands. That's the reason I now shoot SS category. 

I can shoot Dualist, or 2 handed as I want in a match.

Heck, I can even go double Duelist for a stage if my hands are not hurting.

OLG 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Not pins and needles but do get numbness in little 2 fingers mostly pain in neck and arm to elbow. I do have disc pinching nerves but also a lot of arthritis.

I bet there's some nerve issues going on in there.  To me it was almost like the signal just wasn't getting through at full strength.

3 hours ago, Perro Del Diablo said:

Been to rehab several times not much help for me

I didn't much care of rehab, and it seemed a bit silly, but after about 3 months I was at 90% or so and now other than a little less mobility I'm back all the way.   

 

You might want to give it at least a month to two months before you decide it won't work.  Just my two cents. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Captain Bill Burt said:

I bet there's some nerve issues going on in there.  To me it was almost like the signal just wasn't getting through at full strength.

I didn't much care of rehab, and it seemed a bit silly, but after about 3 months I was at 90% or so and now other than a little less mobility I'm back all the way.   

 

You might want to give it at least a month to two months before you decide it won't work.  Just my two cents. 

Disc is pushing on nerve as of yet permanent nerve damage doesn’t seem to be there. My last time in rehab was about 12 weeks after shoulder surgery. Before that at least 3 other times for 11 weeks or more. I still do some of the things they showed me but the arthritis seems to be major part of results being so minimal. I do have good flexibility just lots pain and occasional clumsy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.