SASS Wire Forum

Cleaning my 1866 carrier block

Matthew Duncan

I haven't cleaned my '66 for several years.  When the carrier block would stick a blast of WD-40 from an aerosol can.  Wipe off the dripping black stuff and the '66 would be back in service.

Well today was the day.  '66 was disassembled and the carrier block (after wiping down with a rag) thrown in the wet tumbler with stainless steel pins.  2 hours latter most of the carrier block looked new.  Just a few spots, back to the tumbler for another 2 hours.  Before and after pictures.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Best I've found for cleaning a carrier on the gun was Hot coffee. Wife was shooting Black MZ and gun got sticky. I had forgot my ballistol and water which normally works very well. So I dumped some coffee on the carrier and could not believe it, all the fouling was gone, carrier was like brand new. After the next stage she told me that was the best that rifle ever ran.

kR

If the pins don't damage brass cases I don't see how they could damage a brass carrier.

2 hours ago, Shooting Bull said:

Aren’t you concerned that the hard stainless steel pins will damage the soft brass?  

No I wasn't concerned at all.

We clean the carrier after every match (Shooting BP in a straight walled case can get messy) with a brush, but about every 5th match or so we run them through the tumbler with steel pins and JohnBoy's secret cleaning solution (which is published here on the wire somewhere).  Dang things look better than new when they come out.  Have not seen any appreciable wear as a result of the process.

On 8/11/2019 at 8:09 AM, Cypress Sam, SASS #10915 said:

Careful!  With a carrier that clean, it may go full auto on you.

If having them clean makes them faster, it certainly hasn't helped my game any, but then it may take a brain transfer into a younger body in order to do that, or maybe a smarter brain into this one!

Archived