SASS Wire Forum

Fault

Subdeacon Joe

Scientists from USGS & California Geological Survey viewing vertical fault offset of ~12 +/- 3 foot high fault scarp near the expected maximum slip locality along the primary tectonic rupture associated with the M 7.1 event. — at California.

Image may contain: people standing, sky, mountain, tree, plant, outdoor and nature

I can honestly say that’s not my fault! 

18 minutes ago, Utah Bob #35998 said:

I can honestly say that’s not my fault! 

What if they named it Bob?? :huh:

In the early 70s, I was in Anchorage….I saw first hand what mother nature could do…One side of looks great other shows close to 50 foot change up….If I remember right it was close to a mile long…I think that one hit in the mid 60s…I am not sure I would want to be in that one….

Texas Lizard

2 minutes ago, Texas Lizard said:

In the early 70s, I was in Anchorage….I saw first hand what mother nature could do…One side of looks great other shows close to 50 foot change up….If I remember right it was close to a mile long…I think that one hit in the mid 60s…I am not sure I would want to be in that one….

Texas Lizard

1964.  https://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/events/alaska1964/

The Great M9.2 Alaska Earthquake and Tsunami of March 27, 1964

Map of Alaska Map of southern Alaska showing the epicenter of the 1964 Great Alaska Earthquake (red star). Click to view a larger image

On March 27, 1964 at 5:36pm local time (March 28 at 3:36 UTC) a great earthquake of magnitude 9.2 occurred in the Prince William Sound region of Alaska. The earthquake rupture started approximately 25 km beneath the surface, with its epicenter about 6 miles (10 km) east of the mouth of College Fiord, 56 miles (90 km) west of Valdez and 75 miles (120 km) east of Anchorage. The earthquake lasted approximately 4.5 minutes and is the most powerful recorded earthquake in U.S. history. It is also the second largest earthquake ever recorded, next to the M9.5 earthquake in Chile in 1960.

The map shows the epicenter of the 1964 Great Alaska Earthquake (red star), caused 

About fifteen years ago or so, I was working in Elk Hills, near Taft, which is not too far from Bakersfield.

I had had an inner ear infection which caused dizziness and some disorientation. After a couple of weeks of being off antibiotics,

I was walking down the hall of the field office at work when I staggered into the wall.

Balancing myself back upright, I thought to myself, "Damn, my inner ear infection is coming back."

About that time one of the project managers came out of his office and told me, "Quick! Get out of the building! We're having an earthquake."

Outside it was quiet, with no birds chirping or singing and the telephone poles were all moving out of sync with each other.

Texas boys don't experience the ground moving beneath their feet too much...eerie.

4 hours ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Images from the 1952 Bakersfield Earthquake
Image result for 1952 bakersfield earthquake

Related image

And they're still talking about boring a tunnel through the Tehachapi's for the so-called High Speed Rail.  :huh:  :wacko:

21 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

And they're still talking about boring a tunnel through the Tehachapi's for the so-called High Speed Rail.  :huh:  :wacko:

Did you notice that in the photo in the tunnel that right hand wall had been lifted up as the rail was shifted under it?

1 hour ago, Subdeacon Joe said:

Did you notice that in the photo in the tunnel that right hand wall had been lifted up as the rail was shifted under it?

I did.  :blink:

2 hours ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

Not just talking about it, unfortunately. :angry:.

We had one in Oklahoma!  Epicenter was up near Stillwater.  Wife and I were in Valliant, she was on the phone with her brother in Lawton.  He felt it about 5 seconds before we did.

Actually Oklahoma has a lot of earthquakes, just never a big one.

C5B935A7-D10D-4EDA-BE3E-EAC8C06C5994.jpeg

Y'all be patient. We're gonna move the New Madrid fault in Tennessee again. Gonna move the Gulf coast a few hundred miles Northward. that'll show you.

Imis

Archived