SASS Wire Forum

Built a Glock?

Bullett Sass 19707

I have no experience with them but a couple of my co-workers did in Oregon.

The one piece of advise the one guy had was "Buy the jig for aligning the holes. You'll save yourself some heartache and some money."

If I remember right the jig cost as much as the frame.

39 minutes ago, J. Mark Flint #31954 LIFE said:

But the jig is reusable . . . bet ya rental JIGs are out there

Didn't think of that. Good point.

Haven't done any Glocks, but I've done an AR15 or two. Definitely get the jigs! It simplifies things consdierably!

I have a buddy , that did one , spent way more than it would cost at retail  4X+ 

dropped it on my bench , said , it will not run , I messed with it for a bit , got it to run for me , but he still has issues with it 

not sure what the cuase is , maybe he ain't holding it down hard enough (limp wrist) , 

or it is scared of me , taking a blue tip wrench to it 

CB 

This weeks Shooting USA was a Polymer80 Glock 19 build.  Unless you have access to a milling machine the jig is a must.  Besides being a template for drilling holes you need it to guide the included end mill to machine a pocket in the frame.  The Polymer 80 frame has the same grip angle as a 1911 so it points better.  I find when shooting my wife's Glock's 19 Gen 4 that I have to adjust my wrist angle to pick-up the sights.  I don't have the issue with the 1911, Ruger Mark II. CZ85, H&K USP40 & Tarus TCP pistols I own.  If I were ever to use a Glock for concealed carry I would have to put 500+ shots on targets to get the mussel memory needed to be fast in drawing & firing on target.  The Polymer80 employee who demonstrated the machining & assembly process when asked by the host Michael Bane why one would build a Glock responded by stating that besides the better grip angle that it is less expensive to build with many custom features that would cost a lot more if you purchased a Glock & then customized it with after market parts.  Polymer80 don't market their 80% product as a means to acquire Ghost Guns. 

:ph34r:  Midway currently has a sale going on the 80% kits, includes frame, drill bits and end mill bit.  Choices for frame size, colors, etc.  Kind of like grown-up Leggos or Erector set

for tinkerers......

As has been mentioned, this is NOT a money-saving venture.

I have. It's easy to do and the one I built has functioned wonderfully. As far as the question why, I was able to build a custom glock with tritium/fiber optic sights, a custom slide and frame for the same as it would cost me to buy a stock glock 19. I also like the grip angle better than the factory. If I were to give one tip, make sure the guide rod channel is nice and smooth. Definitely worth doing in my opinion.

Archived