SASS Wire Forum

Shooting 45 70

Tennessee Snuffy

Folks

I need a bit of help, guidance, preference, advice and just general words of wisdom from your personal perspective.

I  am shooting a 405 grain bullet with 28.8 grains of IMR 4198 in a 45-70.  This load will only fill up the case about 1/3 of the way.  Does any add "any type of filler" on top of the powder to get a full case (similar to blackpowder) before seating the bullet?  

Thanks

Tennessee Snuffy

I shoot the same load (except it is 28.0 gr of H4198). No filler is required or recommended. You should get good ignition even in a wide range of temperatures. I do. That is a good load

EDIT OP is using IMR4198 and NOT H4198 as I originally thought

My load is similar - 24 gr. of H4198 behind a 405 grain bullet.  I use a quarter piece of single ply toilet paper as a filler.  Not because I'm an expert in these things but a fellow shooter suggested it, and it kind of makes sense to me that the powder will ignite more consistently "stacked" against the primer as opposed to laying flat along bottom of the case.

Again just my thoughts, there are folks here way more knowledgeable.

Sheriff L.

Using any kind of a filler over smokeless powder would not be a recommend practice.

13 grains of Trail Boss, under a 405 grain bullet, will fill the case more and has been a good long range load for me out to 200 yards.

9 hours ago, Tennessee Snuffy said:

Folks

I need a bit of help, guidance, preference, advice and just general words of wisdom from your personal perspective.

I  am shooting a 405 grain bullet with 28.8 grains of IMR 4198 in a 45-70.  This load will only fill up the case about 1/3 of the way.  Does any add "any type of filler" on top of the powder to get a full case (similar to blackpowder) before seating the bullet?  

Thanks

Tennessee Snuffy

What does the online manual at Hodgdon .com or Lyman's Reloading Manual or the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook say.

Hint they all clearly state the minimum load of 4198.

2 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

What does the online manual at Hodgdon .com or Lyman's Reloading Manual or the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook say.

Hint they all clearly state the minimum load of 4198.

depends if you select Trapdoor loads (Min 27.0 gr of H4198) or Lever Action (Min 46.0gr H4198)

2 minutes ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

depends if you select Trapdoor loads (Min 27.0 gr of H4198) or Lever Action (Min 46.0gr H4198)

per Hodgdon. H4198 and IMR 4198 are not interchangeable. They are similar powders but load data for one cannot be substituted for the other.

Using fillers in smokeless loads other than COW or grits is for the informed and knowledgeable re-loader. We have some using wads/filler/toilet paper in group around here. 

It is interesting to read about using, lets say, wads (veggie wad). Put that sucker down touching the smokeless powder and odds are that you will ring that chamber or barrel. Leave a small gap between the powder and the filler and no problem. 

The wad touching the powder acts as a projectile and when it encounters the bullet, it decides that the bullet is an obstruction and the ensuing sounds may not be noticed but you might have difficulty extracting your brass.

I have been told that there are sweet spots determined by how far off the powder the wad sets. Sounds good, but I can't afford :( to have that wad move down on the powder. There is one local fellow who has  success with a C Sharps chambered for the 40-50. He also uses a C Sharps chambered for the 38-55. Sam success. And he uses wads to tune his load for both rifles.

By the way, fillers are used to hold the powder against the primer.

In general, commercial loading manuals now uniformly discourage use of any filler with smokeless powder loads.    And especially any in bottleneck cartridges.  Folks have continued to damage and destroy guns, and the filler or wadding was part of the load in a significant number of otherwise-unexplainable failures.  They do list safe loads that do not use fillers.   Perhaps not as accurate as some with filler, I can't tell from personal experience as I've not tested enough of "same load with and without filler" very extensively.   Unless you have a lot of experience, stay away from fillers (or tufts or puffs or sheets or cereals).

Good luck, GJ

13 minutes ago, Grass Range said:

Used to use toilet paper for a filler but occasionally had small pieces come out the end of the barrel which is not good in dry grass. Then we went to cereal fillers and then Puf Lon. No ringing or problems

Still, a risky practice with smokeless powder, IMHO.

Archived