SASS Wire Forum

What do I have here?

Boomstick Bruce

So I got some old ammo, brass and reloading stuff at a garage sale a few weeks ago and was going through it all and found this stuff. I've never seen 32s&w in a Spanish? box and 32 Colt, what's that? I've never even heard of 32 Colt...

IMG_20190129_172355.jpg

IMG_20190129_172405.jpg

IMG_20190129_172414.jpg

IMG_20190129_172433.jpg

IMG_20190129_172621.jpg

IMG_20190129_172629.jpg

.32 Colt New Police was what Colt's labeled their ammo when they couldn't stand to put S&W on anything they made.  Really!  They finally got over this, I think in the 1950s.   Both the New Police and the .32 S&W Long are the same cartridge - just labeled different, and usually loaded with a flat nose bullet in the Colt version.

Good luck, GJ

The box appears to be 'Remington-Peters'.    Its an old style box but it seems to be in one of them

foreign languages..... maybe somewhere in California..... :lol:

..........Widder

Productos Regiomontanos means a "Product of Monterey"

Fillmore

2 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

.32 Colt New Police was what Colt's labeled their ammo when they couldn't stand to put S&W on anything they made.  Really!  They finally got over this, I think in the 1950s.   Both the New Police and the .32 S&W Long are the same cartridge - just labeled different, and usually loaded with a flat nose bullet in the Colt version.

Good luck, GJ

Joe is right on the money.  Run across this myself.

They did the same thing with .38 S&W, calling it .38 Colt New Police.   Again, the only real difference was that the Colt cartridge had a flat point bullet instead of the roundnose found on the S&W round.

Think of it this way...

.32 S&W Long = .32 Colt NP.

.32 Colt is something else altogether.

.32 Long Colt = .32 Colt

.32 Short Colt DOES NOT equal .32 S&W.

.38 S&W = .38 Colt NP

Above does NOT equal .38 Short Colt

Assuming you wish to reload that ammo, check to see if they have balloon head cases.  They just might.

Archived