SASS Wire Forum

2018 in review

Dutch Wheeler

Just as crunchy if cooked right.

10 hours ago, J-BAR #18287 said:

The salad bar is more likely to kill you than the meat entree !!

:D

Itsa little acknowledged fact in certain circles that 100% of vegetarians still die.

:D

I know a few vegetarians that won’t shut up about bein vegetarians that could die sooner than later and nobody would care.

My wife buys nothing but "organic" foods...milk, bananas, lettuce and whatall.  I keep telling her that the only thing about "organic" stuff is that you can get your e-coli direct...and avoid the middle-man! :o:rolleyes:  Besides which, how do they grow organic bananas?  Day-o! Day-o! Daylight come and me wanta go home! :P

Sometime just drop by a large farming operation and watch the pickers work. Pay particular attention to the restroom facilities, if there are any. Since you are there you might want to just meander over and look inside the porta-potty and then look outside the porta-potty to see where they wash their hands after using the almost certain to be foul and filthy porta-potty. 

You will always wash your vegetables from that moment on...you may even stop eating some vegetables and fruits.

What Pat sez.

Wash 'em.  Especially if you plan to eat 'em raw.

Incidentally, some of the recent recalls (romaine, for instance) are thought to be the result of wild pigs poopin' in the fields.  Parts of California are overrun with 'em, and they're destructive boogers!  DFG didn't help when they went from the no season, no stamps or tags required, to now requiring tags at about $23 per.

58 minutes ago, Hardpan Curmudgeon SASS #8967 said:

What Pat sez.

Wash 'em.  Especially if you plan to eat 'em raw.

Incidentally, some of the recent recalls (romaine, for instance) are thought to be the result of wild pigs poopin' in the fields.  Parts of California are overrun with 'em, and they're destructive boogers!  DFG didn't help when they went from the no season, no stamps or tags required, to now requiring tags at about $23 per.

The source of lettuce contamination is virtually impossible to track down. By the time an outbreak is identified all the evidence is gone. Romaine Lettuce is especially susceptible because all of its leaves are exposed to every animal that defecates on it and they are chock full of nooks and crannies the resist removal once contaminated. Romaine lettuce is also the most popular vegetable that is eaten raw which only adds to the problem.

Other greens are usually cooked or the outer layers are removed and discarded (cabbage and iceberg lettuce)

Pigs, irrigation water, storm related flooding, or even a large flock of birds can contaminate it very easily. Processing it into packaged salads provides even more chances for contamination to spread. Leafy greens by their very nature have a very short shelf life and few people still have the packaging by the time they are diagnosed. Even if the packaging still exists it only states what factory bagged it not which field it came from. Although they are attempting to fix that flaw but it is going to take a lot of time before a fix can be implemented industry wide.

20 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Sometime just drop by a large farming operation and watch the pickers work. Pay particular attention to the restroom facilities, if there are any. Since you are there you might want to just meander over and look inside the porta-potty and then look outside the porta-potty to see where they wash their hands after using the almost certain to be foul and filthy porta-potty. 

You will always wash your vegetables from that moment on...you may even stop eating some vegetables and fruits.

And why are there vegetarians!?:unsure:

Thanks Pat!  That will make me think twice at the salad bar!  I'd rather take my chances with piece of meat!

Archived