SASS Wire Forum

Why put a 20 MOA base on a Rimfire rifle?

Widder, SASS #59054

Serious question:

Why would anyone 'need' a 20 MOA base on a rimfire rifle?

I recently read an advertisement on a .22 Rimfire rifle that stated it came with

a 20 MOA scope base attached.

Sorry, I don't remember the rifle brand or I would share that info.

..........Widder

Basically for the 22 guys who want to shoot more than 250 yards and farther.  Rimfire drop at 250 yards is about 3 feet and leaves no adjustment left in scope.    GW

The Ruger Rimfire Precision Rifle presumably has that base to allow owners of the centerfire RPR a rifle to practice with at shorter ranges, but still have to work with all the other variables of extreme long range shooting. 

1 hour ago, Chief Rick said:

The Ruger Rimfire Precision Rifle presumably has that base to allow owners of the centerfire RPR a rifle to practice with at shorter ranges, but still have to work with all the other variables of extreme long range shooting. 

For my own edification, this is a joke right?  I started thinking about what kinda base could do this and the only thing I can come up with that would mimic the windage challenges was a base that didn't stay put. 

16 minutes ago, Ramblin Gambler said:

For my own edification, this is a joke right?  I started thinking about what kinda base could do this and the only thing I can come up with that would mimic the windage challenges was a base that didn't stay put. 

We are talk'n about elevation, for LR .22RF ;)

https://forum.snipershide.com/forums/sniper-s-hide-rimfire-section/

OLG

Personally I think it was originally intended to have the gun shooting to the glass at 50 feet without having to use too much elevation and enhancing the precision of the optic for Olympic targets. EGW has been building +20, 0, and -20 MOA bases for a while now for folks to use conventional scopes on old .22 target rifles with different barrel diameters/tapers. 

The 300 yard stuff came later on and if the goofy Ruger Precision 22 is what you're talking about then yeah it's for shooting beyond 100 yards and training for wind reading. The 40 grain .22 LR blows all over beyond 100 yards. I have only shot my rifle(an old one) to 150m and it was challenging to get get the elevation since the scope maxed out and any breeze killed the consistency of hits.

Howdy,

Its to get the MIDDLE of the scope adjustments on target at 100.

This allows the windage the greatest range.

Try working with the point of impact at the intersection of the vertical and

the bottom edge of the scope.

How much windage adjustment do you have there...…..oh ya, NONE.

Best

CR

Archived