SASS Wire Forum

73 Uberti Rifle issue.

shotguntom

I have a beautiful Uberti 73 Rifle in 357 magnum that has an extraction issue.  With both 357 mag or 38 Special,  factory ammo, the cartridges chamber easily. But,  Once fired,  it takes a superman effort to pull the lever  down to extract the spent brass. 

Could this rifle have an excessively tight chamber?  All my other rifles cycle easily with all loads, both factory and handloads. Mighty disappointed with this $1100 rifle. 

Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. 

Sounds like a rough chamber, I would have it checked by a competent gunsmith and see what he has to say.

Thank you Major. I will  look into finding a quality gunsmith locally.  Appreciate your thoughts on my problem 

I'd suggest doing a chamber cast with some Cerrosafe. It melts at very low temp. A rough chamber would score your brass and would be easy to see. I'm thinking the chamber may be out of round or perhaps have a bulge in it. I have a revolver with one chamber that has this problem.

Cholla

5 minutes ago, Cholla Hill Tirador said:

I'd suggest doing a chamber cast with some Cerrosafe. It melts at very low temp. A rough chamber would score your brass and would be easy to see. I'm thinking the chamber may be out of round or perhaps have a bulge in it. I have a revolver with one chamber that has this problem.

Cholla

Your possibilities would be much more difficult to correct I imagine.

If the chamber were out of round or bulged, wouldnt I have an issue chambering the unfired cartridge also? 

Or would that only cause an issue after case expansion?  

Let me see if I understand your statements -

1 - New factory ammo, after it is fired, won't extract without a lot of lever effort.

2 - If you don't pull the trigger, I would assume you can extract the unfired round easily, correct?

If both of those are true, you almost CERTAINLY have a badly machined chamber.  Get this gun back to the vendor right away - if you want to have it fixed under warranty.

Could this rifle have an excessively tight chamber?

Nope, if the chamber were really tight, you would not be able to chamber a factory round.

Good luck, GJ

4 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

What do the cases look like after firing?

OLG

They have some mild scratches in them, nothing too bad but you really have to look to see them.  Extraction is extremely difficult, thats why I am thinking undersized just enough to cause the issue after case expansion.  

4 minutes ago, shotguntom said:

undersized just enough to cause the issue after case expansion

All cases, with enough pressure, will expand to fill the chamber of a rifle.   It's a rough, or reverse-tapered, or bulged chamber that won't let the brass loose to be pulled out by the extractor.

Good luck, GJ

1 minute ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Let me see if I understand your statements -

1 - New factory ammo, after it is fired, won't extract without a lot of lever effort.

2 - If you don't pull the trigger, I would assume you can extract the unfired round easily, correct?

If both of those are true, you almost CERTAINLY have a badly machined chamber.  Get this gun back to the vendor right away - if you want to have it fixed under warranty.

Good luck, GJ

Yes the cases chamber and extract easily if unfired.  Unfortunately I bought this rifle quite some time ago. I doubt it will fall under any warranty repair.  I just never got around to shooting it until recently.  I have too many in the herd, and it sat in the safe. A bad move on my part I suppose. 

The rifle is a Taylor’s imported Uberti. 

Well, worst case, it will need a new barrel.  Which is not all that a big an expense, compared to what you have in the rifle.

I'd still contact Taylor's.  Bet they will want to check it out and will take care of you.

good luck, GJ

2 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

All cases, with enough pressure, will expand to fill the chamber of a rifle.   It's a rough, or reverse-tapered, or bulged chamber that won't let the brass loose to be pulled out by the extractor.

Good luck, GJ

It would appear that I dont have an easy fix on my hands,.   

2 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

If the round chambers-Most likely not an undersized chamber.

That chamber can be polished easily, with a .45 cal 'mop' with toothpaste using an electric drill motor.

OLG

I suppose I could try that first, then if I have no success, I will contact Taylors. 

Is it just hard to get the case started out of the chamber, or is it tight all the way out.  And have you tried extracting the case part way and then re-chambering it to see if still tight?

4 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

Well, worst case, it will need a new barrel.  Which is not all that a big an expense, compared to what you have in the rifle.

I'd still contact Taylor's.  Bet they will want to check it out and will take care of you.

good luck, GJ

In the scheme of things, if that’s what needs to be done, it still worth it.  The rifle is a beauty. 

2 minutes ago, Abilene, SASS # 27489 said:

Is it just hard to get the case started out of the chamber, or is it tight all the way out.  And have you tried extracting the case part way and then re-chambering it to see if still tight?

Tight pretty much all the way out. Did not try part way then a rechamber.  

3 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

I would contact Taylors, before doing anydangthing to the rifle. 

OLG

Thats the logic I was hoping for.  If I do anything myself they may say too bad. Its on you. I need to resist the urge to get ahead of myself.  A bad habit of mine 

1 minute ago, shotguntom said:

Thats the logic I was hoping for.  If I do anything myself they may say too bad. Its on you. I need to resist the urge to get ahead of myself.  A bad habit of mine 

Send the scared up cases with the gun.

Do not ship 'live-ammo'.

OLG

Howdy,

Take a cleaning rod and proper wire brush.

Wrap the brush with one layer of cleaning patch and soak the patch with a

good cleaner like Breakfree or whatever.

Run the brush-patch down the barrel and let it sit horizontal over night with the patch

in the firing chamber..

Then try just a regular cleaning and then try a shot and see if its still tight.

Sometime a chunk of gunk can sit in real hard.

You let it sit a while and gunk can get right at home in a chamber.

If its still tight see the vendor or maker.

Best

CR

2 hours ago, shotguntom said:

Your possibilities would be much more difficult to correct I imagine.

If the chamber were out of round or bulged, wouldnt I have an issue chambering the unfired cartridge also? 

Or would that only cause an issue after case expansion?  

Mine is not a bad issue. It's only one chamber and it's fine with light loads, it's heavier hunting loads that extract with a bit of difficulty.

Do yours extract difficulty with all loads,  that is, .38 and .357?

2 minutes ago, Cholla Hill Tirador said:

Mine is not a bad issue. It's only one chamber and it's fine with light loads, it's heavier hunting loads that extract with a bit of difficulty.

Yes.  Difficult with both 38 and 357.  

14 hours ago, Cholla Hill Tirador said:

Yes.  Difficult with both 38 and 357.  

After attempting  a few more unfired factory rounds,  another brand, it appears that even they are difficult to extract. 

Im going to call Taylors on Monday and see what the process is to return it yo them. 

Your now headed in the right direction.  DO NOT do any work on the rifle yourself, no allow anyone else to work on it.  Give Taylors the opportunity to make it right FIRST.  Taylors like to have happy customers.

6 minutes ago, Colorado Coffinmaker said:

Your now headed in the right direction.  DO NOT do any work on the rifle yourself, no allow anyone else to work on it.  Give Taylors the opportunity to make it right FIRST.  Taylors like to have happy customers.

Yes, I resisted the urge to try anything.  From the replies I got here, I’m happy I didnt do anything stupid.  Lol

I trust that Taylors will fix the problem.  Thanks

I contacted Taylors this morning, and Ryan told me to send the rifle in.  Dropped it off at UPS This afternoon, should get there  by Wednesday. Then I will wait to hear from them.  Hoping for an easy fix to the problem. 

Will post the outcome.  Thanks.

31 minutes ago, Hillbilly Drifter said:

Ryan is a top notch guy to deal with. I expect this will end well for you.

That is great to hear.  He was extremely helpful on the phone.  I got a good feeling about the way they deal with customers at Taylors.  

A small update.  Rifle made it to Taylors, and Tom, the gunsmith gave me a call Thursday afternoon.  He test fired my rifle, and told me the problem occured on each test round.  He does not feel there is any issue with the chamber.  Fired cases, once removed from chamber, easily go back in without any effort. 

He thinks that something in the action may be binding, causing the need for excessive force to open the lever. Possibly an easy fix is what he said, but wont know  until he checks it out. 

He will contact me when he has had the chance to delve into it.  

On 8/17/2018 at 5:24 PM, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

If your answer to this question (which I don't see that you provided) is a YES, then it's going to be hard to find a problem in the action.

If your answer is NO, then both a fired case and an unfired round behave the same, and it's very likely in the action.

That's why, when you ask on the Wire, you need to followup with the info that is needed to help you the most.  

But, since gun is at a good smith's shop now, you should have your answer in a reasonable period of time.

Good luck, GJ

Archived