SASS Wire Forum

73 Uberti Rifle issue.

shotguntom

55 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

If your answer to this question (which I don't see that you provided) is a YES, then it's going to be hard to find a problem in the action.

If your answer is NO, then both a fired case and an unfired round behave the same, and it's very likely in the action.

That's why, when you ask on the Wire, you need to followup with the info that is needed to help you the most.  

But, since gun is at a good smith's shop now, you should have your answer in a reasonable period of time.

Good luck, GJ

GJ, I actually did answer Yes to your question the day you posted.   Factory new Cartridges Chamber a nd extracts easily if unfired.  

On 8/18/2018 at 12:11 PM, shotguntom said:

After attempting  a few more unfired factory rounds,  another brand, it appears that even they are difficult to extract. 

Im going to call Taylors on Monday and see what the process is to return it yo them. 

If I may correct this particular  statement.  These were not  unfired factory that were difficult to chamber and extract. These were reloads.  Again Factory unfired work fine both chambering and extracting. 

• 3 weeks later...

Received the rifle from Taylors.  Tom, the gunsmith assured me the chamber is

Fine . He felt there was something binding in the action. He disassembled and went through it.  Test fired and stated all is good now. Dont know what he did honestly.  It does seem smoother and easier to work the lever now.  Unfortunately, I will be out of town until the 20 th. No chance to test fire it myself. 

He did tell me not to shoot any type of jacketed bullets in the rifle. Im a bit miffed on that. He said Uberti does not recommend them.  Lead only.  Anyone else heard of this with Uberti rifles? 

You should be due a good explanation of work performed from any gunsmith.   So that you better know how to handle related problems in the future.  Sorry you did not get that.  Personally, I would press for more explanation.

Uberti proofs guns to SAAMI standards and above, because they also do the European proof testing.  I have never heard someone warn folks away from jacketed loads in Uberti's.    Are you sure you heard him right?   Personally, I would be contacting Taylor's management for an explanation of THAT also.  

Now, if you got a warning not to use +P pressure loads in your rifle, that might make some sense.   But jacketed rounds within normal SAAMI pressure limits?  PSHAW!

Good luck, GJ

53 minutes ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

You should be due a good explanation of work performed from any gunsmith.   So that you better know how to handle related problems in the future.  Sorry you did not get that.  Personally, I would press for more explanation.

Uberti proofs guns to SAAMI standards and above, because they also do the European proof testing.  I have never heard someone warn folks away from jacketed loads in Uberti's.    Are you sure you heard him right?   Personally, I would be contacting Taylor's management for an explanation of THAT also.  

Now, if you got a warning not to use +P pressure loads in your rifle, that might make some sense.   But jacketed rounds within normal SAAMI pressure limits?  PSHAW!

Good luck, GJ    

GJ, Gunsmith definitely  told me several itmes not to shoot jacketed rounds. Said that Uberti  recommends against it. 

Only to shoot lead.  I thought it didnt sound right.  My rifle, while only fired 75 times, with mostly 38special, was manufactured in 2007.  I got the impression from speaking to him being my rifle was older , and that he was swamped in the shop, and didnt want to get too deep into the rifle.  

The only cost to me was return shipping.  If, when I actually get to test the rifle, the problem isnt resolved, I will push the issue with Taylors 

thanks very much for your take on my situation.  I appreciate your help. 

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my rifle. Back from vacation and made a trip to the range this morning to see if my issue was resolved. 

Fired 100 rounds of mixed factory ammo.  All 38 Special.  Both FMJ and Lead RNFP 

THE RIFLE FUNCTIONS PERFECTLY.   NO ISSUES OF ANY KIND. I truly thank Taylors for correcting the problem, though I still dont get why the gunsmith told me,  several time not to use FMJ Ammo.  Claimed that Uberti also say no FMJ. 

Never had any issues with FMJ in any of my toggle link rifle.  Hmmmmm

Just now, shotguntom said:

Update on my rifle. Back from vacation and made a trip to the range this morning to see if my issue was resolved. 

Fired 100 rounds of mixed factory ammo.  All 38 Special.  Both FMJ and Lead RNFP 

THE RIFLE FUNCTIONS PERFECTLY.   NO ISSUES OF ANY KIND. I truly thank Taylors for correcting the problem, though I still dont get why the gunsmith told me,  several time not to use FMJ Ammo.  Claimed that Uberti also say no FMJ. 

Never had any issues with FMJ in any of my other toggle link rifles.  Hmmmmm

There are higher pressure jacketed hunting rounds out there for 44-40, which are not recommended for toggle action rifles, made for newer 92/94 Winchesters and 94 Marlins and such.  No higher pressure lead rounds that I have seen, so maybe they figure if you never shoot jacketed you will never encounter the higher pressure rounds.

A jacketed round does not equate to Full Metal Jacket.    FMJ is jacketed.  Not all jacketed is FMJ. 

FMJ is NOT usually loaded to higher pressures than other SAAMI compliant ammo.  In some cases, FMJ is loaded to a lower pressure because ammo manufacturers don't expect serious defense work or hunting to be done with FMJ instead of soft point or hollow point jacketed ammo.   FMJ ammo is not harder on a barrel than other jacketed ammo.

I think there is a ton of misunderstanding between folks involved with your conversations about what ammo would be recommended for a Uberti 73 rifle chambered for .357 magnum.

Now, back to the rifle.  We would really like to know what problem the gunsmith found and believes he has fixed.  Why not just stick to that topic?

Good luck, GJ

Archived