SASS Wire Forum

Excellent chance to see Mercury

Pulp, SASS#28319

Pulp,

Thanks for the "heads up"; however,  I kept finding myself trying to clear the lint off my cell phone screen until I realized it was Venus and Mercury! :blush:

Given the weather, I won't be able to see Mercury. If it is clear Saturday night, though, I will plan on taking part in the Messier Marathon with our local astronomy club.

http://www.messier.seds.org/xtra/marathon/mm2018.html

I’ll trot out the telescope and hope the clouds clear.

5 hours ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I’d like to go to a dark sky preserve or two this year, or at least a place dark enough to see the Milky Way again

They're getting harder to find. I've seen it pretty well in northern Michigan and Southeastern Kentucky, but it is a rare thing.

I recently saw a proposal for a "Space Day" holiday, where lights would be turned out so we could see the galaxy. If only!

58 minutes ago, DocWard said:

They're getting harder to find. I've seen pretty it pretty well in northern Michigan and Southeastern Kentucky, but it is a rare thing.

I recently saw a proposal for a "Space Day" holiday, where lights would be turned out so we could see the galaxy. If only!

Well I guess that's one thing the North Koreans have on us. They probably have no trouble seeing the Milky Way galaxy at night. :huh:

1 hour ago, DocWard said:

I was up on top of a hill at the north part of Camp Grayling.

Got 40 acres southwest of there a ways. Just south of big Rapids. We get some light pollution but a good view of the stars.

11 minutes ago, Michigan Slim said:

Got 40 acres southwest of there a ways. Just south of big Rapids. We get some light pollution but a good view of the stars.

I would've thought we would get more light pollution than we did, but it got incredibly dark. When there was no moon, we had to keep chem lights on the BAS and our ambulance so we could see them. You couldn't even see white engineer tape until right up on it.

O dark 30 really is O dark 30 for sure! I walk to my deer stand with no light most times but with no moon or a cloudy sky you need a small light. 

7 hours ago, Abilene Slim SASS 81783 said:

You mean this?  :D

1950-Mercury-Coupe_370654_low_res.jpg

With the light pollution in and around Metro-Denver, it's a rare night when you can see the North Star from the southern suburbs! :(  There is supposed to be a fairly heavy solar storm coming.  I doubt you would be able to see the aurora borealis at all!  What I wouldn't give to be able to show my grandchildren what I saw one night in June of 1966, when we had an aurora show from horizon-to-horizon!  Oh, well....   If you can't see Mercury and Venus, go in the bathroom, drop your drawers and turn around and bend over.  You can probably get a glimpse of the Seventh planet!

Archived