SASS Wire Forum

How To Merge

Subdeacon Joe

20 minutes ago, Marshal Mo Hare, SASS #45984 said:

I don't understand why people stop for an empty roundabout.

In my experience, it usually has to do with the Live Free or Die license plates on their car; the shock of driving in MA is just too much to bear for many of our neighbors to the North.....;)

LL

4 minutes ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

In my experience, it usually has to do with the Live Free or Die license plates on their car; the shock of driving in MA is just too much to bear for many of our neighbors to the North.....;)

LL

Well, in Massachusetts, if there is no traffic on a road it must be because I should not be there and I missed the detour sign.

5 hours ago, Sedalia Dave said:

You haven't seen anything till you see people trying to navigate a traffic circle in the US.  Europeans and the Middle East have no problem with them. Americans on the other hand seem to have epileptic fits when confronted with one.

When I was deployed to Bahrain many years ago we used to make the new guy drive to the Mall. There was a three lane wide traffic circle on the way. Nothing like ending up in the inside lane with the locals doing their best to keep you there simply because they know you are an American.  Some people made 3 or 4 trips around the circle before they made it out. :lol:

Traffic circles are the most idiotic, congestive contrivances ever created!!  They are made to benefit people who can't grasp a stop sign or a yield sign!!  There are several in the city nearest to my residence and they are invariably the most congested intersections in the city!!   There are more accidents and tie-ups around them than you can imagine!!  It reminds me of driving in Mexican towns and cities!!  The first person to blow his/her horn has the right-of-way!! <_< :rolleyes:

People who slow or stop on a merge ramp and those who slow or stop in order to change lanes on a multi lane road should be made to retrain before being allowed to drive again!! These are the people most responsible for traffic jams and fender benders on major thoroughfares!!  Camera equipped drones could be used to spot and ticket these idiots and fines should be severe!!  People who slow radically on and before exit ramps fall into this same group of imbeciles!!  They too should be fined and chastised accordingly!! :angry:

Those who drive while texting, reading, using a hand held phone, or the vanity mirror should be fined $500.00 for the first offense, $1,000.00 for the second offense, and jailed for six months for the third offense!!  Their driving privileges should be suspended, 1 yr. for the first offense, 3yrs. for the second, and permanently for a third. They should also be denied cell phone privileges for corresponding periods!!  This should be nation-wide and subject to background checks like NICS every time someone renews their driver's license or signs up for or renews a cell phone contract!!! :angry::angry: :angry::angry: 

I think merge lanes were designed back when cars had some muscle.  Now that so many are itty bitty 4 bangers, it takes forever for them to get up to speed and that includes the people inside rocking to get more inertia.  I like my cars with at least 6 cylinders so there is some semblance of get up and go.  The only two 4 bangers I've driven that had any amount of go power was a 76 Sunbird with a 4 speed.  Had the Iron Duke engine back when GM was trying to bring on the aluminum blocks that would warp out of shape.  That little car would wind out and go.  Then the Dodge import rental car, unbeknownst to me had a turbo back in the late 80s.  It took me a while to figure out something was different when I hit the accelerator.  Wheeeeeee.

Somebody told me that you can brake shorter than someone can accelerate.  Drive defensively.  Let them merge.  Pass them later.

In my best Larry the Cable Guy (Use the pedal on the right, push it harder.  Get out of my way.)

Don't get me started on round abouts.  I have in-laws that drive out of their way to get where they want to go just so they can avoid them.  Then the morons that cannot figure out what that upside down triangle means.  I had a woman nearly T-bone me a couple weeks ago.  I was in the round about, saw her coming, she was yacking away at the passenger, approaching the entry to the round about and I could see the terror on the passenger's face as he told her to stop.  She did, missed me but looked at me like I was, well, different.  Dingbat.

1 hour ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Roundabouts...don’t get me started...same goes for 4 way stops. The same goons that are confused about 4 way stops are completely lost in a roundabout.

Pat, some people are just LOST.

1 minute ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

Pat, some people are just LOST.

Yep! That’s why I spent from mid-July to mid-October in a cast / boot and nursing several other broken bones...

Lost people are road hazards.

18 hours ago, Loophole LaRue, SASS #51438 said:

UB...

I suspect some local gave you bad info.  I started driving in MA in 1968; traffic already in the rotary has always had the right of way; traffic entering the rotary is obliged to yield the right of way.  Now, that's what the Rules of the Road say; in reality, he who hesitates is lost.  :wacko:

LL

Ah yes, the TateCompass Company. He who has a Tate’s is lost.  I hear they have moved into the GPS business.

19 hours ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

For my money, there is a special place for round-a-bouts.

And the person that dreamed them up. 

They started using them around here as a cost and space saving measure, to avoid having to build cloverleafs and proper interchanges.

A huge percentage of AZ. drivers need to have this video played to them in a continuous loop until they learn that getting on the freeway 10, 15, 20 miles an hour slower than the flow of traffic is not being safe and that they don't have the Right-of-Way while merging.

These people are why AZ highways flow like an Accordion.....

This, along with people that can't figure out that the Left Lane is the high speed lane and the Right Lane isn't.

I wish they would bring back "Passing on the Right" along with "Impeding Traffic" infractions. Multi-Lane highways in the US are designed for the slow traffic to stay Right and the speeds to increase as you move Left. When people use then as they're designed they're great, when they don't, that's when things get stupid and dangerous. A huge number of accidents are caused by high speed passing on the right, you know, the blind spot side, as well as people driving like a Road Boulder in the passing lane buggering up the flow. Enforcement of these two principals is why you don't see this on the Autobahn. We could stand to take a page from the German's book.

Archived