SASS Wire Forum

The following happened to myself..

Shot the stage, went to the ULT , interrupted by a range closure, got to talking & ended up not clearing one pistol.

Rolled up to the next stage & called myself a SDQ for the previous stage for the uncleared gun.

Now that's not a problem as I stuffed up.

My question is I have been told that if I had realised I had not cleared the pistol & did so before I went to the LT of the next stage there would be a no call.

Is that true ?

If iirc that's true for this stage because most pentalies are from lt to ult since once you have cleared all four guns got the clear signal and turn to move a gun hits the ground you stop put the others oguns back on the table the dropped gun is retrieved by a ro check for empty dusts it off and hands it back to and the ro Che is with the ulto verified that you had clear all your guns and were cleared to leave by the ulto he should say fine no call let's shoot you grab your gear and head to your cart.

anotherexample is your at your cart and relies your clothing as moved your hammer off fully down and you very carefully re lower it knowing the gun is empty since you cleared the Luton this stage or the one before it or know you checked them when you put them in the case, when you took them out of the case and when you inserted it the holsters. Pwb may correct me on one or two things but I think he will support the idea .

Interesting question.  The penalty is not assessed until you arrive at the Loading table.   So, presumably , you could clear the pistol anytime before arriving at the Loading table.   But clearing the pistol anyplace but the Unloading table could be considered unsafe gun handling.

Agree with MR. St. Eagle....... ;)

Although the penalty is discovered at the next Loading Table, it is assessed because you did not follow Unloading Table guidelines from the previous stage.   Therefore, you earned the SDQ (from the previous stage) for not following the UNLoading Table guidelines, not because of when those empties were discovered in your pistols.

EDIT:  HOWDY to everyone 'Down Under'.

..........Widder

My question is I have been told that if I had realized I had not cleared the pistol & did so before I went to the LT of the next stage there would be a no call.

First, you were told wrong.   Once you left the unloading table with empty cases in that revolver, you would have earned the SDQ.  There is no free return to the unloading table after you leave with your guns.  If you get an interruption on the firing line, take your revolvers out and lay them on the unloading table to remove the possibility you wander away with uncleared guns.

Second, if you did not unload that revolver at the unloading table, where DID you unload it?   At your CART?  Certainly not adhering to proper unloading procedures.  Sure hope you went back to the unloading table, under the eye of a safety officer and unloaded safely.  But it sounds like you didn't (because they would have assigned the penalty after you did that).

Good luck, GJ

28. The unloading officer or Range Officer MUST inspect all firearms before they leave the shooting stage.  All rifles and pump or lever action shotguns must have their action cycled for the inspecting official.  All revolvers, whether used or not in the stage, must also be inspected. 

32. All loading and unloading shall be conducted only in the designated areas.

SHB pp.25-26

38. Competitors shall unload each of their firearms at the designated unloading area and have them visually inspected to make sure all chambers empty.  Rifles and shotguns must be cycled to verify their magazines are empty.  All revolvers taken to the firing line must be checked, whether or not they were used, and only two main match revolvers may be taken to the line.  

SHB p.27

Failure to adhere to loading and unloading procedures.

The point at which the "failure to adhere to loading/unloading procedure” Stage Disqualification for bypassing the Unloading Table applies is as follows:

Once control of the firearm(s) is relinquished, be it in a rack on the stage or at the shooter’s gun cart. (i.e. leaves the shooter’s hand(s).  

RO1 V.21.6 p.26

SHB page 27

1. Competitors shall unload each of their firearms at the designated unloading area and have them visually inspected to make sure all chambers empty. Rifles and shotguns must be cycled to verify their magazines are empty. All revolvers taken to the firing line must be checked, whether or not they were used, and only two main match revolvers may be taken to the line. 

I believe Randy is correct. IIRC there was a previous thread that defined taking your hands off your gun(s) at your cart as the point of no return.

2 hours ago, Cheyenne Ranger, 48747L said:

my 2¢:

once leaving ULT the SDQ is earned

similar question would be how far could you move and still return?  another 2¢ is maybe a step (similar to basketball)  Know this isn't the question at hand

REF The rule quoted from the RO1 above.
That was clarified some time ago,

How about a revolver that was never touched at the unloading table it was never in. The shoooters hand too leave it??/

Thank you for the replies...I play this game fairly so I would always 'own my mistakes 

7 hours ago, Garrison Joe, SASS #60708 said:

First, you were told wrong.   Once you left the unloading table with empty cases in that revolver, you would have earned the SDQ.  There is no free return to the unloading table after you leave with your guns.  If you get an interruption on the firing line, take your revolvers out and lay them on the unloading table to remove the possibility you wander away with uncleared guns.

Second, if you did not unload that revolver at the unloading table, where DID you unload it?   At your CART?  Certainly not adhering to proper unloading procedures.  Sure hope you went back to the unloading table, under the eye of a safety officer and unloaded safely.  But it sounds like you didn't (because they would have assigned the penalty after you did that).

Good luck, GJ

Howdy Garrison

I only discovered the  loaded pistol at the LT of the next stage..penalty imposed with no problems.

My question was in relation to the latter of my OP.

Thanks for the replies..The answer to my question is how I thought it should be, just wanted to make sure.

I play this game fairly & penaltys are part of it.

4 hours ago, Blackey Cole said:

How about a revolver that was never touched at the unloading table it was never in. The shoooters hand too leave it??/

The clarifying statement:

The point at which the "failure to adhere to loading/unloading procedure” Stage Disqualification for bypassing the Unloading Table applies is as follows:

Once control of the firearm(s) is relinquished, be it in a rack on the stage or at the shooter’s gun cart. (i.e. leaves the shooter’s hand(s).  

basically refers to long guns...once either (or both) are racked or placed in a gun cart, the shooter is considered to have left (or bypassed) the ULT.
The SDQ for "failure to adhere..." applies to ANY firearm that has not been cleared by then.

23 hours ago, PaleWolf Brunelle, #2495L said:

REF The rule quoted from the RO1 above.
That was clarified some time ago,

Thanks PaleWolf:  learned something; like these WTCs as they make me think which, at my age, the doc says is a good thing

cr

Archived