SASS Wire Forum

EOT - You better put it on your list

Thought I would share some thoughts and perspectives on the match....Delta Glen and I got some inside views on the match since we were Chief ROs for 1 flight each day as well as Shooters. 

I'm sure most of you will think "well he won a buckle so what do you expect him to say but nice things about the match" .....That's not really my style.

Was it a perfect a match? Hell no. It was too hot, too dry and too windy for sure! I felt like a frog drying up and there was no mud for me to bury myself into.... but keep in mind I live about 10 feet above sea level and the humidity is pretty darn high down here in Florida. It really wasn't that bad. I just like to complain about the lack of humidity. Heck it was almost COLD for our early shift on Saturday and quite pleasant for most of the morning. 

Stages - the pistol targets were just a touch closer than I like .....I know right.....this jackass wants targets placed further out. Not much just a little. Rifle targets were just about good and shotgun was good as well. Everything was more than hittable.  Stage instructions were clear. The starting lines were way too damn long but our posse had plenty of fun with them. It was neutral for right and left handed shooters. All in all the stages were set up to go fast if you had the guts to do so but you could give yourself a speeding ticket if got to careless. They ended up with 20% clean shooters! That's pretty damn good and what I like to see at a big match. That equates to a lot of smiles and being clean is one victory everyone can shoot for. 

Match Administration - I thought the system in place for the Chief Range Officers to follow when making calls was pretty damn good as well. We filled out incident reports for review later. Plus those reports reduced the chance of the Match Director's (Lassiter and Deuce Stevens) hearing about a call after the match and them not having the facts on it. Typically by the time a call makes it through the masses the facts are twisted and now they can be discussed with reasonable confidence as to what really happened. Monday morning quarterbacks can be brought up to speed rather easily now.......Great Idea. Plus it helps record the facts so the right call can be made on the berm........Even better idea!!!! I felt like we were given the tools necessary to do our jobs correctly. I hope the shooters we interacted with felt the same way even if the call made hurt. I got to see the effort that scoring team went through to ensure the scores were correct.....oh my was it a good process! Roxy and Amber were next door offering great customer service assisting everyone as best they could.

Before the main match shooting - a couple of the side matches closed down early due to lack of help. Shame on us the shooters for not being willing to volunteer. The same people can't be expected to work all day. Maybe a few more folks will offer assistance next year. Otherwise the warm ups and side matches we shot were good. 

After the main match shooting - the shoot-off was well attended and well ran. It ended right on time and was quite entertaining! Heck it was even streamed live on Facebook!!!!

Vendors - Food vendors were good and varied......I hit several of them and was pleased each time. How can you go wrong with funnel cake!.....Right Beck A. Boo! I would have liked to see more vendors overall. 

Ceremonies - Started on time and seemed to flow right nicely. The big tent was air conditioned!!!! Made it nice for the attendees. The Saturday night banquet was fun. I didn't eat the food but I did see Missouri Lefty going back for seconds so it must have been ok. Keep in mind though that he is a teenage boy so I doubt his palate is very distinguishing. It's more about quantity when you're a growing boy....LOL!!! The awards ceremony was streamlined and flowed well. Misty and Wildshot did a great job tag teaming the announcements and kept everything flowing without feeling rushed.

Parking - there were two parking lots this year...one on each end of the range. WOW that was awesome compared to 2012!

Camping - no first hand information......from the reports I heard most folks were having fun and everything was good. 

Awards - there's a separate thread on that......read it if you haven't.....obviously I liked mine!

Workers and Waddies - AWESOME!!!! They kept the range clean, the water filled on each stage.....they gave out 97 GALLONS of gatorade and probably did many more things than I could ever imagine. I know I saw them staying busy all the time. Good Group of workers!

So this was my third EOT....2010, 2012, 2017.......I enjoyed all three. I enjoyed the shooting in all three but as far as the complete experience I can say 2017 was the best yet. Misty and her team obviously care about the match, the shooters that attended and SASS as a whole. Lassiter and Deuce put on one heck of a shooting competition. I was honored to be included in a small way.

If you haven't attended in a while I suggest you go back.  I think you will be pleased. If you have never attended I suggest you make plans for next year. Get some Pards together and go as a group. There are plenty of non-shooting points of interest in the area as well. You will make memories that you will never want to forget.....well maybe one or two that you'll want to forget. Just don't talk about those! 

By the time I got back home Tuesday morning I had racked up almost 65 hours of drive time and 3976.1 miles........I would do it all again in a heartbeat to have a chance to meet up with old friends from across the country (world) , make new friends and shoot a damn fine match run by folks that genuinely care! 

Stan

PS. I'm sure I'll remember some more later!!!!

Stan,

Thank you for the positive in-depth review of the Championship.

Almost felt like I was there.

Watched your matchup with Slick McClade during the shootout as it was streaming live.

Congats on your BIG win in the 49er Category.

Lastly, I especially appreciate you taking the time to prepare such a great write-up after such a long trip.

You made Florida proud. :D

Santa fe thanks for this post!I've been trying to stay out of all the would have should have posts. As a 1st timer at EoT I enjoyed the heck out of it!Great stages vendors and people! Will definitely return. Yes been a few complaints about this and that(awards, point system etc.) But I appreciate all the hard work and dedication everyone involved put into a great world championship.

Thanks all and congrats to everyone who participated 

Rafe 

2 hours ago, Slick McClade said:

Excellent post Stan, but I wouldn't expect anything less from one of the old guys. It was great to see you both as always. I'm already looking forward to next year.

Slick

Yes indeed....

Stan, in my mind the best reason to go to EOT is to meet old friends and make new ones.  After all, it's a party that happens to have a shooting match attached!  I'd like to get back again.  I went in 2004 (I think it was) with my friend Tennessee Stud when EOT was at Rahagges (sp?) here in CA.  I haven't yet been to the new facility.  I'd really like to check it out.

One of these days when finances permit.  To be honest, I'd love to see you again.  It's been a long time since I saw you in FL (was that where it was?).

11 hours ago, Doc Shapiro said:

Stan, in my mind the best reason to go to EOT is to meet old friends and make new ones.  After all, it's a party that happens to have a shooting match attached!  I'd like to get back again.  I went in 2004 (I think it was) with my friend Tennessee Stud when EOT was at Rahagges (sp?) here in CA.  I haven't yet been to the new facility.  I'd really like to check it out.

One of these days when finances permit.  To be honest, I'd love to see you again.  It's been a long time since I saw you in FL (was that where it was?).

The first time was Mule Camp I believe then Florida......It would be great to shoot with ya!

Stan

Ha! I did remember something......on the stages.

I would like to have seen a couple stages that had us "doing something" on the clock. Nothing difficult.....carry a bag of gold or throw a stick of dynamite or push over a dummy to release a moving target. I feel like that stuff should still be a part of our game. 

Stan

35 minutes ago, Santa Fe River Stan,36999L said:

Ha! I did remember something......on the stages.

I would like to have seen a couple stages that had us "doing something" on the clock. Nothing difficult.....carry a bag of gold or throw a stick of dynamite or push over a dummy to release a moving target. I feel like that stuff should still be a part of our game. 

Stan

Stan:

I've always enjoyed watching videos where the shooter has to interact with the stage and not just shoot.

59552295a0b51_BagsofGold-RESIZED.jpg.c953d901f94f469e20e9ca163072a356.jpg   595522a10a171_RunningwithDynamite-RESIZED.jpg.3b1bc6367532bb5712feb69ad59c4055.jpg    595522bf152a8_CowboyDummy-RESIZED.jpg.32dd0b029d6f157c2b60003c3b5a7c99.jpg

Thanks for the post Stan......almost feel like I was there. From the heart.....cool.

Congrats on the 49er Championship.......can you go back to Wrangler now.....please.:D

Sun

On 6/30/2017 at 5:53 PM, Cypress Sun said:

Thanks for the post Stan......almost feel like I was there. From the heart.....cool.

Congrats on the 49er Championship.......can you go back to Wrangler now.....please.:D

Sun

Thanks Sun!

I'm staying in 49r unless I get that Gunfighter Bug!

Stan

46 minutes ago, Santa Fe River Stan,36999L said:

Thanks Sun!

I'm staying in 49r unless I get that Gunfighter Bug!

Stan

Let the bug bite.... It only hurts a little.

Archived