SASS Wire Forum

Questions, questions, questions

Having coffee with a friend this morning. In the conversation he mentioned that his AR had an issue

with cases sticking and sometimes would not completely eject the spent case. Other than steel cases

what could cause this?

An AR still requires cleaning. Have him get a chamber brush and scrub the heck out of it. Use a good penetrating oil. Clean the bolt too.

55 minutes ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

And how did they accomplish that?

They chromed the chamber and changed powders to one that burned cleaner. They also actually issued a cleaning kit. I still have one around here somewhere

Clean and lubed gun !

Does your friend have a .223 chambered barrel? Sometimes the hotter Mil-Spec 5,56 rounds get stuck in the chamber as the dimensions are just a little bit tighter. 

If he isn't sure have him clean the chamber with a proper chamber brush and shoot it again. If it keeps happening his chamber may be a tighter tolerance. BUT you didn't mention what round he was firing. 

18 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

Does your friend have a .223 chambered barrel? Sometimes the hotter Mil-Spec 5,56 rounds get stuck in the chamber as the dimensions are just a little bit tighter. 

If he isn't sure have him clean the chamber with a proper chamber brush and shoot it again. If it keeps happening his chamber may be a tighter tolerance. BUT you didn't mention what round he was firing. 

According to him, it is a 5.56 barrel.

I do not know what round he was using.

1 hour ago, Badger Mountain Charlie SASS #43172 said:

According to him, it is a 5.56 barrel.

I do not know what round he was using.

Okay then, more than likely it's just a dirty chamber.

Just now, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Did it just start doing this? If so, have him check the 2 allen screws the attach the gas 'key' to the bolt.

OLG

Two comments (one a question)...

How do we know you ARE the "Original" Lumpy Gritz?  plllmmmfff... hey... you could be a Chinese knock-off Lumpy Gritz...

Just glad they never named them screws... "Allan Screws"... glad they put that "e" in there.

ts

33 minutes ago, The Original Lumpy Gritz said:

Did it just start doing this? If so, have him check the 2 allen screws that attach the gas 'key' to the bolt.

OLG

Ooh...Good point.

Cleaning and oiling the carrier is never a bad thing, either. My AR's, if I had any, would be a lot happier running "wet" than dirty and dry...

On 3/22/2017 at 5:16 PM, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

The difference between 5.56 & .223 chambers is the throat of a 5.56 barrel is longer. The 5.56 case is thicker. The case of a 5.56 fired in a .223 barrel may show signs of overpressure.

3 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

The difference between 5.56 & .223 chambers is the throat of a 5.56 barrel is longer. The 5.56 case is thicker. The case of a 5.56 fired in a .223 barrel may show signs of overpressure.

That is  also true.

11 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Best guide I have ever found for the proper lubrication of an AR pattern firearm.

As a side note the manual that came with my AR specifically stated NOT to use RemOil.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_7/548967_AR15_LUBE_POINTS.html

33227.JPG

33228.JPG

dpdd7q.jpg

That is a good one, Dave. Thanks.

Also, I had read that using bearing or axle grease on the buffer spring actually helps the quiet it down in operation and slows tube wear. It actually does make it quite. I tried it...just don't do that in a gun used in cold weather. Tried that too - slows things down, causes FTFs and ejection issues.

Light Bulb on...Badger, did your friend's problem occur in cold weather and did the gun work normally in warm weather with the same ammo?

6 hours ago, J.D. Daily said:

The headspace is more in the 5.56mm also.;)

Completely different set of HS gauges between .223 and 5.56mm. Same goes for .308 and 7.62 NATO chamber. 

OLG

2 hours ago, Pat Riot, SASS #13748 said:

That is a good one, Dave. Thanks.

Also, I had read that using bearing or axle grease on the buffer spring actually helps the quiet it down in operation and slows tube wear. It actually does make it quite. I tried it...just don't do that in a gun used in cold weather. Tried that too - slows things down, causes FTFs and ejection issues.

Light Bulb on...Badger, did your friend's problem occur in cold weather and did the gun work normally in warm weather with the same ammo?

Try one of the Extreme temperature aviation greases. Aeroshell 64 is rated for temps from -73C up to +121C. It contains molybdenum disulphide and is rated for use on heavily loaded sliding surfaces. Be prepared for sticker shock  though, aviation greases will cost about  $20.00 a tube. But that tube will likely last a lifetime.

You could also check with shops that sell Snowmobiles. They can steer you towards other possible sources of extreme cold weather lubricants.

56 minutes ago, Sedalia Dave said:

Try one of the Extreme temperature aviation greases. Aeroshell 64 is rated for temps from -73C up to +121C. It contains molybdenum disulphide and is rated for use on heavily loaded sliding surfaces. Be prepared for sticker shock  though, aviation greases will cost about  $20.00 a tube. But that tube will likely last a lifetime.

You could also check with shops that sell Snowmobiles. They can steer you towards other possible sources of extreme cold weather lubricants.

Thank you Sedalia Dave.:)

Archived