SASS Wire Forum

Top o' the morning to ye!

Aye! I have the corn beef ready to go on to boil, the cabbage ready to cut and a fresh bottle of Jameson opened for my morning coffee.

Time to celebrate the Sulliuvans and the Herlihys in my ancestry.

Corned beef and cabbage is the menu for supper tonight; saving the Jamison's for "The Quiet Man" afterwards.

Syfy Channel is playing Leprechaun movies all day too, in case you are in the mood for an overload.

For those liking a true taste of history:

The Irish didn't eat corned beef. The cow was a sacred animal animal that provided milk. Only the richest ate beef. Fried Irish bacon and cabbage, or many of the country's traditional dishes made with Lamb .Corned beef was started as the tradition in Boston or New York, it's an American-Irish dish.

Blue is is the true Irish color for the day, it refers to a sky blue used by the order of St Patrick's day and is the official color of the state.  not green. 

St Patrick was  believed to be Born in Scotland, he was not born Irish. It also was not his real name: it was Maewyn Succat. 

He was sold into slavery in Ireland to herd and tend sheep. He later moved to France to study and become a priest and later a Bishop. He then returned to Ireland and converted most to Christianity.

In Ireland, Saint Patrick's Day was a dry holiday until 1970

I hate to break it to you, but corned beef is Irish American.  My grandparents were from Ireland.  I have a ton of relatives still there and have been there seven times on trips.  The first group of Irish relatives that came to the USA to visit us, my mom cooked them corned beef.   They all said, "That meat was lovely!  What was it?"  They had never heard of corned beef. 

That was my point. That it was Irish-American and I stated that. My mother is Irish and my Father Scottish. If you read the history you will find that it became a staple here in America. I grew up on cabbage and bacon served with fried potatoes. 

Corned beef and cabbage is all American-Irish. In New York city, where  lot of Irish immigrants wound up, the fancy restaurants threw out beef brisket because it was too tough. The local Irish immigrants would snatch it up and serve it at home with cabbage. Personally I can't stand the stuff, and in Ireland they never heard of it. (Good! Colcannon, now, that's a different story. ) My grandparents came to the U.S. from Tipperary, Ireland and the D.W. (Darlin' Wife) and I have visited the Auld Sod twice. If you get a chance to go there, take it!

The O'Meara Himself

ps this was wriitten on the 18th of march, National Hangover Day.

Archived