SASS Wire Forum

Kinda want my Rugers tuned.. Who / What would you suggest?

2kidsdad

I have 2 Old Model Ruger 45LC that I purchased separately.. One is pretty smooth the other, well not so much.. I was considering sending them somewhere to have them "tuned up" so they would feel more alike.. I only want to send them once so Id like to get all the work Id like to ever have done to them at once. But, I do not know what all I should have done. Or who I should try to get to do it.. What I should expect to pay.. Any thoughts / suggestions would be greatly appreciated..

Howdy

Tuning a Ruger is not a big deal. Ask around your local club, I'll bet there is someone local who can do it for you.

Where do you live?

I agree with Driftwood about checking out your local club for good info.

But depending upon where you live, there may be a very reputable Ruger smith in your area.

Examples:

Jimmy Spur: New Hampshire (thanks for the info, Marauder)

Three Cut: N.Carolina

Lassiter: Ohio

BoomStick Jay: Texas

And I know I have probably left out a couple names and various locals.

..........Widder

Jimmy Spurs is in New Hampshire.

http://www.cowboygunworks.com/

But as has been said, unless you want something really special, many can do a very good job.

And for the vast majority of us, after the beep, we could not tell the difference between a standard job and a$700 job. The $700 may be more accurate, depending on what all was done, but we would not notice it.

Local pards can help a lot. Talk to some of the top shooters as they have often done a lot of research.

Once you find a smith, discuss what all they do and what you want done specifically. A good smith can help you out a lot there.

New springs and some judicious stoning will help a lot. Not as nice as a good smith but will help.

Howdy,

What I recommend is not going too light with the hammer spring.

It feels nice to have a weak spring but but but I like a spring that will fire any primer.

Click instead of bang, oh what a sinking feeling.

Best

CR

Lassiter did mine after wr and I think he did an excellent job from what I saw as they are not ones I'm shooting a lot right now since they are not part of my guns for classic cowboy. My old 45s was done by mr ruger wes flowers

Where are you at? That will help folks narrow down your search. It's a lot easier to be able to drop them off for an action job then having to send them out.

Willy McCoy in Lewisburg, TN. Rock Creek Armory on your search engine.

Shotgun boogie does a great job on a short stroke modification. I just put lighter springs in mine and have at it.

His short stroke kits are excellent but not cheap. You gotta really want or need those kits at 500 bucks a pop before installation. My pistols were done by Jimmy Spurs and when I first got them, I thought the Rugers were running on ball bearing! Yes there that smooth. Again not cheap but well worth it. You will never go back to stock pistols again.

Archived