SASS Wire Forum

700X in a 45colt ?

WOODFOX , sass#34179

I'm starting using 700X in my 45's I'm loading at the minimum load with a 200gr. rnfp and it is leading up in my pistols . I have been using win 231 with no leading but the stuff is so dirty thats why I changed . If anybody has a good load for 700X please PM me . I always thought leading was caused by too much powder does it work both ways ?

Woodfox :(

Woodfox:

Next time yer at Firelands, talk with Shotgun Chavezz.

He uses 700x in his 45 loads

--Dawg

I use 231 or HP-38 with a 250 grain bullet. Yes, the load is pretty light and the case does not completely expand (Forgive me Driftwood, I've forgotten the correct word for that.) to keep the cases from getting sooty from the blow by but I've never had any issues with leading.

I wipe my firearms down after each shoot and put them away. Once a year or so, I do a full tear down and clean them. Never had any issues.

Woodfox:

Next time yer at Firelands, talk with Shotgun Chavezz.

He uses 700x in his 45 loads

--Dawg

Dawg: Hope to see ya in April .

Woodfox

Low velocity or low chamber pressure by themselves will NOT cause leading. You've changed something else - lead alloy, lube, bullet diameter, I'll bet. Just a change powder with the same kind of chamber pressure is not going to cause leading.

I shoot a lot of .45 Colt 200 grain over light loads of 700-X. That load is actually just below the bottom of what is the low end of the scale from Lyman's latest Cast Bullet Handbook. I use a fairly soft lead alloy - about 8 Brinnell hardness. Not a speck of leading. I'll PM you my load, but I'll say it again, it's not due to changing to 700-X powder, and it's not due to low velocity and pressures.

Something else is the root cause of leading. I'd bet you are using some fairly hard lead slugs and perhaps slightly smaller than your groove diameter. Gas cutting at the slug's base is much more common cause of leading with our cowboy loads, because of using HARD lead alloys. If you are using commercial cast bullets, you are shooting a pretty hard alloy most of the time. And, gas-cutting leading is common right at the barrel throat, in the forcing cone and the next half inch up the barrel. Take a close look and see what part of the barrel that leading is occurring in.

Good luck, GJ

Low velocity or low chamber pressure by themselves will NOT cause leading. You've changed something else - lead alloy, lube, bullet diameter, I'll bet. Just change powder with the same kind of chamber pressure is not going to cause leading.

I shoot a lot of .45 Colt 200 grain over light loads of 700-X. That load is actually just below the bottom of what is the low end of the scale from Lyman's latest Cast Bullet Handbook. I use a fairly soft lead alloy - about 8 Brinnell hardness. Not a speck of leading. I'll PM you my load, but I'll say it again, it's not due to changing to 700-X powder, and it's not due to low velocity and pressures.

Something else is the root cause of leading. I'd bet you are using some fairly hard lead slugs and perhaps slightly smaller than your groove diameter. Gas cutting at the slug's base is much more common cause of leading with our cowboy loads, because of using HARD lead alloys. If you are using commercial cast bullets, you are shooting a pretty hard alloy most of the time. And, gas-cutting leading is common right at the barrel throat, in the forcing cone and the next half inch up the barrel. Take a close look and see what part of the barrel that leading is occurring in.

Good luck, GJ

+1

The hard alloy commercial casters use is not to make a better bullet as some shooters think. The opposite is true, an 8 to 12 brinnel alloy makes a much better, cleaner shooting and accurate bullet. The casters use a 18 or higher brinnel alloy because it works better in their high output casting machines. Period, that's the only reason for the hard, bordering on brittle, alloy they use.

Woodfox, I have used 700-X (when I can't find Trail Boss) in my 45 loads quite often. 700-X also burns on the dirty side but I have found that if I stick to about the middle of the load range recommended by IMR on there web site, I have very good results and manageable recoil. I never have had a "leading" problem but then again I use a moly coated 200 gn RNFP. It works great in both my lever action and my 1911 for wild bunch. Good luck, W. L.

Missouri Bullet Co. cowboy bullets (brinel 12) with the hi tek coating (or without) do not lead my barrels with light 700x loads in .45 colt. Or Clays, or red dot, or...whatever., The key is proper bullet size and a soft alloy.

I have been shooting the same bullet for over ten years I don't know the hardness but as I said no leading with 231 so i guess it's the low powder charge I'll increase it and see what happens thanks to all that helped .

Woodfox :)

Archived