SASS Wire Forum

Out of Curiosity... Another Football Question

DocWard

1. Tom Brady, QB

It has never been more difficult to win in the NFL. There are 32 teams in the league. In Joe Montana’s time, there were 28 teams. In Jim Brown’s era, there were just 14 teams. Oh, and now there is full blown free agency. It’s next to impossible to keep a great team intact.

Brady has started more Super Bowls than any QB in history and is tied with Montana and Terry Bradshaw for the most titles.

Statistics? His 2007 season (4,806 passing yards, 50 TD passes, only eight interceptions) should be regarded as the greatest passing season of all-time (Peyton Manning had double-digit interceptions in each of his best passing seasons).

2. Joe Montana, QB

Montana never passed for over 4,000 yards in a season. He also played with another guy on this extremely elite list (Jerry Rice). Because of stats and because he had much more help, Montana is edged by Brady here. Yes, Joe Cool was a perfect 4-0 in Super Bowls, but Brady has a higher playoff winning percentage (.710 to .696).

3. Lawrence Taylor, LB

Comedian Artie Lange sums up LT’s greatness in a joke, saying that in the 1980s everything that late Giants public address announcer Bob Sheppard said ended in “… and Taylor.” LT was so good that he was seemingly in on each and every tackle during Giants games in that era. Taylor won the NFL MVP award in 1986. He is the last defensive player to win the award.

4. Jerry Rice, WR

Rice is the NFL’s all-time leader in receptions, receiving yards and receiving touchdowns. In 2010, NFL Network’s “Top 100: NFL’s greatest players” placed Rice at No. 1. But he also had the No. 2 guy on this list throwing to him.

5. Jim Brown, RB

Talk to any football fan over the age of 65 and they’ll think you’re nuts if you don’t put Brown at the top of your list. As mentioned before, however, Brown played in an era with just 14 teams in the entire league. He also played just nine seasons.

6. John Elway, QB

Elway had phenomenal numbers (300 TDs, 51,475 yards) and got his team to the Big Game five times. But his sub-.500 record in the Super Bowl (2-3), gets him pushed closer to No. 10 than No. 1.

7. Peyton Manning, QB

The nine “one-and-dones” Manning has on his playoff resume will forever hurt him on these type of lists. If he can capture Super Bowl title No. 2 on Sunday, however, expect him to vault a few spots.

8. Joe Greene, DT

The 1970s Steelers had to factor in on this list somehow, and Greene is regarded by most as the best player on those dominant teams. He was a 10 time Pro Bowler and won four Super Bowls.

9. Reggie White, DE

White led the league in sacks twice, during the era in which the aforementioned LT played in. His Super Bowl win with the Packers in 1996 helps his case to sneak into the top 10 here.

10. Barry Sanders, RB

If Sanders had that one Super Bowl title like White, he would be much higher on this list. But he’s without question the greatest “eyeball test” player of all-time. Like Brown, his early retirement hurts him on these lists.

iMHO...

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/team/history/hall-of-fame/jim-brown.html

I grew up in DC a long time ago. Watched Slinging Sammy Baugh both pass and kick for the Redskins. Not too many could do both.

Danny White of the Cowboys and George Blanda of the Raiders come instantly to mind!!

Larry Czonka. A bulldozer. :)

My first thought! My favorite as a young kid growing up. Another would be John Riggins. As a younger man, I wished I could run like Walter Payton, but my friends called me "Riggo" playing ball. Oh well...

I always favored Billy Bates of the Cowboys. He played for about 12 seasons, was never drafted, had to try out as a walk on every year, and always played for minimum wage. He played for "Love of the Game". He wasn't the fastest or biggest, but it seemed he was always there for the tackle.

+1 to all of this and I'll add that from the first year he was in the league until the year he retired, he was 'on the bubble' at every training camp. They never knew if he was going to make the team again. I got a kick out of the later years when they said he might not make it because he had lost a step. Whatever step they think he lost he'd never actually had.

I'll also point out that even though largent sometimes gets credit for this, they actually created the special teams pro bowl position for Bates.

Billy bates was my boy growing up. I'm not one to make heroes out of atheletes, but he was one for me because I always had to work harder than everyone else too when I played. I've been careful to not meet him in real life nor try to find out what he's up to now that he's retired for fear that he's actually a terrible person.

Danny White of the Cowboys and George Blanda of the Raiders come instantly to mind!!

Don't forget about Randall Cunningham. He may not have punted often, but he's got the 3rd longest punt in NFL history at 91 yards.

Those are all excellent choices. I'd build my dream team around: GAYLE SAYERS. In my lifetime he's the best back I ever saw.

I'm a Packer fan and have been since the Lombardi era. But! one player that made me watch his teams games and dominated his position like no other was Dick Butkus. Watching him was pure magic. He somehow seemed to be involved in every tackle, and for many years was the only reason anyone watched the Bears. For sheer aggressiveness, heart, and determination. in my book, nobody else even comes close.

Walter Payton was a good short field runner and had the moves but he had no second gear. He was run down from behind to often for me to consider him the best or most inspirational.

Do you remember Doug Atkins? Thanks to his glory days with the Chicago Bears, he is a member of the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

I'm a Packer fan and have been since the Lombardi era. But! one player that made me watch his teams games and dominated his position like no other was Dick Butkus. Watching him was pure magic. He somehow seemed to be involved in every tackle, and for many years was the only reason anyone watched the Bears. For sheer aggressiveness, heart, and determination. in my book, nobody else even comes close.

http://articles.latimes.com/1995-01-22/sports/sp-22934_1_doug-atkins

"Doug had a way of making people apprehensive," said Warren Ariail, the Saints' trainer in 1968-69. "He was so big and so strong and when he wanted to do something he did it. Johnny Unitas told me one time Doug was the only player he was afraid of. Dick Butkus said the same thing. Now if you can imagine Dick Butkus being afraid of someone, you get an idea of how Doug affected people."

Walter Payton was a good short field runner and had the moves but he had no second gear. He was run down from behind to often for me to consider him the best or most inspirational.

I'm with you about watching Butkus, although it was the most brutal magic I can imagine.

I can't think of players that haven't been run down from behind, including Renaldo Nehemiah once when he was with the 49ers, and he was a world class sprinter.

Part of the amazing part about Payton was that he was considered too small by some, yet spent 13 years playing the game, missing just one game in that career. He played sick, didn't do excessive celebrating, and never considered looking to be traded, despite Chicago's losing seasons early on. During his career, he set many records, despite the fact that much of that time defenses keyed on him (including the Super Bowl, which was late in his career). Records include most touchdowns thrown by a non-quarterback, among others. Arguments can be had over "best," although to me he is. If you don't find him inspirational though, your standards are pretty darn high!

VINCE LOMBARDI'S RULES

1. Ask yourself tough questions.

2. Look the straight truth on.

3. Play to your strengths.

4. Write your character.

5. Think big picture.

6. Be Completely committed.

7. Work harder than everybody.

8. Be prepared to sacrifice.

9. Be mentally tough.

10. Balance humility and pride.

11. Lead with Integrity.