SASS Wire Forum

Modern Carry

Hurricane Deck 100366

Like some input on how you all carry extra mags for your daily carry slab side.

I carry a full size Smith and Wesson M&P and am searching for a convenient way to carry at least two extra mags.near or on my waist, weak side.

Double magazine pouch. Paddle style. Inexpensive and easy.

I put a 1911 mag in a folding knife pouch and one in my pocket.

I use a smart carry holster. It has a dedicated pocket for an extra mag. The other I'll stash in a jacket pocket or just not carry. With two mags and one in chamber I have 25 rounds of .40s&w.

I rarely carry extra magazines. When I carry a J-frame I sometimes carry a speed loader but even that is rare.

If I ever have to go up against an army of attackers who are hellbent on forcing me out of an entrenched position, I'll regret my decision.

As for the drug addict trying to rob me in the supermarket parking lot, I doubt I'll be in much need for a lot of extra ammo.

GS

I rarely carry extra magazines. When I carry a J-frame I sometimes carry a speed loader but even that is rare.

If I ever have to go up against an army of attackers who are hellbent on forcing me out of an entrenched position, I'll regret my decision.

As for the drug addict trying to rob me in the supermarket parking lot, I doubt I'll be in much need for a lot of extra ammo.

GS

As a survivor of 2 gunfights. I say this-You'll change your mind PDQ about spare ammo, after your first encounter-whether you fire a shot or not . ;)

I carry at least 1 full reload and a small Surefire flashlight.

OLG

As a survivor of 2 gunfights. I say this-You'll change your mind PDQ about spare ammo, after your first encounter-whether you fire a shot or not . ;)

OLG

OLG,

Question:

Would it not be the same if person carried a single-stack + reload mag or a double stack with equivalent number of rounds and caliber?

The reload would provide shooter with another mag if first one malfunctioned. Other than that, is my question.

Of course carrying an extra mag of double stack would trump all.

Do you have a spare tire in your car? Why?

The biggest deal is an untrained person will 'spray and pray", and then be empty and SOL.....

Understand that most attacks are in groups of 2-3.

Like BM sez--You may have to clear the weapon of a jam. That sometimes means to dump the ammo you have in it.

Again, it's better to have and not need------ ;)

OLG

OLG... don't know your background but am I correct in deducing that your GF's were a result of being on duty?

Double magazine pouch. Paddle style. Inexpensive and easy.

Fellas right!....This kind of set up is what police carry there spare mags in while on duty!......I also carry a pair of handcuffs that are held in a small leather pouch, same as police use....So I leave the house and have similar capabilities as any on duty officer would(the handcuffs are a nice addition(gives me piece of mind in case I must detain a suspect, dont wanna hold someone at gunpoint till the cops show) And alway carry a good cellphone fully charged! These items will keep you safe under most circumstances.

Fellas right!....This kind of set up is what police carry there spare mags in while on duty!......I also carry a pair of handcuffs that are held in a small leather pouch, same as police use....So I leave the house and have similar capabilities as any on duty officer would(the handcuffs are a nice addition(gives me piece of mind in case I must detain a suspect, dont wanna hold someone at gunpoint till the cops show) And alway carry a good cellphone fully charged! These items will keep you safe under most circumstances.

Wh would you handcuff someone? Are you a former officer? Have to got training in handcuffing techniques? Handcuffing is not like it looks on TV. If a lone officer has a suspect at gunpoint that's how he stays until backup arrives.. You do not try to cuff somebody if you're alone. In some jurisdictions carrying handcuffs isn'y legal. Even when UI was a cop I didn't carry cuffs when off duty. Just my weapon.I don't know many guys who did.

Get a Glock in 10mm, the clips hold 15 rounds each! The 10mm has ballistics that are very similar to 357 magnum! The bullet dimensions are 40 caliber(meaning you load the same bullets for 10mm that you do for 40cal) Its just a longer shell casing as to hold more powder. Anyway with +1 in the chamber and 2 backup mags I have 46 rounds of 357mag capability on hand! Far better than a 5 shot J frame smith(I use to own and carry w/two speedloaders) 15 rounds of hit and miss when coming out a barrel less than 2"

Wh would you handcuff someone? Are you a former officer? Have to got training in handcuffing techniques? Handcuffing is not like it looks on TV. If a lone officer has a suspect at gunpoint that's how he stays until backup arrives.. You do not try to cuff somebody if you're alone. In some jurisdictions carrying handcuffs isn'y legal. Even when UI was a cop I didn't carry cuffs when off duty. Just my weapon.I don't know many guys who did.

I carry them at night when im working in bad areas of town, I repo cars for a living and it can get rough!

Not a former officer but have had similar training in techniques, I live in AZ were we have pretty liberal gun laws so anything go's so to speak.........And I throw the cuffs to them and they put them on themselves while at gunpoint(actually had to do this before!) Thats were the cellphone comes in handy, so you can call the police for assistance(just make sure you holster your weapon as they arrive) Had them hold me at gunpoint till they were informed of the situation! EVERYONE gets cuffed till the cops sort out whats what!

OLG

That is where I am right now. I'm never without the flashlight or the firearm, I'm trying to get to the point to where the mags are closer than the zippered pocked on my backpack. For me, it's not a question of whether or not to carry reloads, it's just WHERE to carry them, I'm carrying a double stack full size pistol in 45ACP for a number of reasons (mainly because I shoot this pistol well) but I realize that it limits my round count per magazine so the answer is more mags.

Gun carrying is comforting-NOT comfortable. ^_^

Most of the time, I carry a H&K USP compac in .45acp or a Colt LW Commander in .45acp.

My 'summer-carry' is my S&W 340 in .357 w/ CT, LASER grip In a pocket holster.

For the .45's-I carry at least 1 spare mag and a Surefire f'light in a leather belt pouch. Sometimes, there is a second mag in my jacket pocket.

OLG

I've always wondered how anyone can access a pocket holstered gun. Heck, I can't get a chapstick out of my front pocket without practically standing up.

OLG, the reason I ask is that I've been on the unfortunate end of a couple of late night dicey situations, but in now 4x's that could have gone ugly I've never had to pull the trigger... that's now 35 years of long days, lotta cash, late night downtown parking lots and garages, etc.

My own experience is only anecdotal, but I do try to read up on the available material out there. There are so many theories, but one I know absolutely to be true is to paraphrase Mike Tyson, "Everyone gets into the ring with a plan until they get punched in the mouth.".

For me that means that most crooks have a plan up until the SHTF and then if they need to run like hell I let them. YMMV.

My main carry sidearm holds 14 rounds with one in the pipe and I'll usually keep a mag or two within reach. Sometimes I'll put one on my pocket. Sometimes I'll put a pair on my belt in a kydex pouch.

Being happily retired I try to avoid any place or situation that I would need the kind of firepower that some of you folks seem to carry. But due to the craziness going on in this country I have but away my beloved Chiefs Special and carry a Kel Tec 9mm with laser sights and one spare mag in my week side pocket

Keep in mind...

Losing any extra love handles will make carrying extra mags on your belt MUCH more comfortable...

Always make positively certain that your mags are facing the correct direction in the pouch for how you grab it for a reload (generally made under plenty of duress).

Using a dedicated mag pouch as opposed to just sticking a spare mag in your pocket eliminates stuff you don't want in your mag getting in your mag, ie: small coins, lint, other sundry pocket stuff... you DO NOT want anything in your mag except ammunition.

Some trainers advocate that the quickest way to reload is to grab your second or back up gun, FWIW.

I've always wondered how anyone can access a pocket holstered gun. Heck, I can't get a chapstick out of my front pocket without practically standing up.

OLG, the reason I ask is that I've been on the unfortunate end of a couple of late night dicey situations, but in now 4x's that could have gone ugly I've never had to pull the trigger... that's now 35 years of long days, lotta cash, late night downtown parking lots and garages, etc.

My own experience is only anecdotal, but I do try to read up on the available material out there. There are so many theories, but one I know absolutely to be true is to paraphrase Mike Tyson, "Everyone gets into the ring with a plan until they get punched in the mouth.".

For me that means that most crooks have a plan up until the SHTF and then if they need to run like hell I let them. YMMV.

Why I wear 'cargo' type shorts in the summer. Nice, big-n-easy pockets to get into. ;)

OLG

When I carry a spare mag in my left pocket, there's nothing else in there but the mag.

When I carry a spare mag in my left right pocket, there's nothing else in there but the mag.

And my hand.........

My flashlight only weighs about 2-3 oz. For 3 decades I wore a duty belt with handcuffs, baton, radio, pistol, mag pouches, knife and pepper spray without suspenders.... and everything stayed up. 'Course my back isn't so good anymore. ;)

My flashlight only weighs about 2-3 oz. For 3 decades I wore a duty belt with handcuffs, baton, radio, pistol, mag pouches, knife and pepper spray without suspenders.... and everything stayed up. 'Course my back isn't so good anymore. ;)

I understand about a thick & sturdy duty belt that you can hang stuff off and hangs off/above your hips.. I was referring more toward civilian dress, Wrangler jeans, cotton dress pants, cargo pants and the like.

So how do you keep your britches up now that you are retired with all the stuff mentioned? It just does?

I only carry a single spare mag. Don't matter if the gun holds 8 rounds or 18 rounds, I carry a spare mag.

I use clip on single mag pouches from Don Hume for everything except for double stack .45's, I found a Bianchi clip on single mag pouch in a store and bought it.

As for what I carry on me every day, it's a holstered gun on one hip a spare mag on the other.

Off side front pocket gets my cell phone if I'm not wearing a shirt with a pocket or a jacket. In that pocket also goes the larger of the 2 knives I carry routinely. Normally, it's a CRKT M21-04 but occasionally I swap to a SOG Pentagon II.

Strong side front pocket gets change, small knife (a CRKT M16 variant since I've got a couple, a Case Barlow or a SOG Twitch II) and my money clip.

It's not that much and it's not that heavy.

I understand about a thick & sturdy duty belt that you can hang stuff off and hangs off/above your hips.. I was referring more toward civilian dress, Wrangler jeans, cotton dress pants, cargo pants and the like.

So how do you keep your britches up now that you are retired with all the stuff mentioned? It just does?

A high quality harness leather belt capable of supporting the weight. Bianchi and Crossbreed make very good ones. What holds a duty belt up is actually your trouser belt. The duty belt is attached to it with keepers.

Archived