SASS Wire Forum

Way OT Scope for .22 rimfire rifle

Marlin Buckhorn,SASS 51727

Looking for a good/clear scope for my .22 Ruger 10/22. Rifle is setup with a heavy barrel and Hogue stock. Looking to shoot no more than 50 yds. Any thing farther and I will use my .17 HMR. So what should I buy? Fixed power or adjustable? What power? What manufacture? Inexpensive is good!

Maybe you have something you would like to move that you no longer use.

Thanks in advance,

Marlin

The Bushnell Banner 22 is a darn good scope for the money to put on a 10-22.

But, on my .22's, I use:

Ruger 10-22 Tactical: Leupold 8 x 36mm with AO (this is an older scope and one of the finest setups I've encountered for the .22

Savage MKII Tactical: NIKON EFR 3x9 with AO (this may be The Best setup for an accurate .22)

On my CZ 455 HB Varminter in .17 HMR: NIKON Prostaff 3.5 x 14

In the last few years, I've grown to really like the NIKON line of rifle scopes.

..........Widder

Howdy,

Several good choices.

If you don't want high magnification check out the REDFIELD(just bought by leupold) 2-7.

There are several options, it can be had with drop compensation too.

Now if you like magnification 4-16 with adjustable objective. Several companies make them.

Chief AJ liked this scope when he was working on 10/22s night and day. The company that

made them is gone..... Others are around.

I like to plink at 100 yards cleaning up the broken clay birds left by the high power shooters.

They hit a clay bird once. I use my 10/22 to turn those bird pieces into dust.

That rifle wears a Burris 4-12 with adjustable objective.

When you mount that scope get everything straight in line with the barrel.

Just in case you are NEW to the 10/22, don't use much Loctite in the screw holes

on top of the receiver. Why? because right below those holes is a thing called a firing pin.

Excess Loctite drips right onto the firing pin and somebody gets to take the whole thing

apart and clean out the Loctite.

Over tighten those screws and you strip out the aluminum receiver.

Yes even the blue one is aluminum, unless you paid high bucks for the aftermarket

stainless steel one....bet you didn't........

And skip the long magazines, get the coupler that puts two ten round mags together.

Its cheap and reliable. Two things that don't come together a lot.

Best

CR

and if you want a great barrel see Beyer barrels.....

Not very fashionable these days, but my 10/22 has a Bushnell 1.75-4.5 variable on it and it works great. I think you can still get one for less than $100.

My Anschutz has a Nightforce 12-42 X 56 Benchrest, Copper Queen's Kidd Supergrade has a Bushnell Elite Tactical 6-24 X 50. Both of these scopes will parallax adjust to less than 25yds.

On her Browning semi auto rifle she has killed over 1000 chipmunks in the yard with she has a Great little Leupold. If I were looking for a inexpensive 22 scope I would definitely get the Nikon 3X9 with an Adjustable Objective. Parallax is a HUGE problem at close ranges and parallax adjustment is critical if you go above about 6X.

On my 10/22 TD I have a 3X9 Leupold. Had 3X9 Simmons,liked it. My eyes are old, so I need all the help I can get. The Leupold to me seems clearer with thin but clear cross hairs. I noticed a marked improvement in my groups with the Leupold.

Molasses Mike

The optics on nearly all of the scopes are very good but it is the lens coating that separates the very good from the average ...

http://www.rifle-scope-guide.com/scope-lens-coatings/

When scope shopping, take the time to read the fine print and determine how much coating the lens actually has. If you can afford it, go with fully multicoated as this is the best choice in optical quality. As mentioned before, coating is expensive and is generally reflected in the price. Fully multi-coated scopes tend to be expensive. However, if you are ever hunting or shooting in low light conditions like dawn or dusk, you will appreciate the benefits of multi-coating.

Whatever you get, don't go "cheap" because "it's just a .22". I don't know if they even still make the 3/4 or 7/8 tube models, but skip them if you find a used one cheap; use 1" as a minimum. Also, don't skimp on objective lens size, either- the larger the better light-gathering qualities. I have a Glenfield .22 (department store-branded Marlin) my Dad gave me for Christmas when I was 14 (I'm embarrased to say how many years ago it was). I put a big ol' Lyman 20x on it, and when I did my part, and I use the right ammo, I've shot 1" groups @ 100 yards. Twenty-twos can be very capable. Give 'em a scope they deserve.

Archived